5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload in bed

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Short story my in laws need to to pick up one tone of pellets for there pellet stove. From what I keep reading I should be able to haul that no problem. As I can haul 2300 pounds just in the bed. I’m only 180 pounds. With nothing else in the truck. I guess I should see how heavy my side steps are and deducted that to. And do the math off the info in my door jam?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
You'll probably be overloaded, since the 1500 is technically a half-ton pickup. You'll be sagging some, but I seriously doubt you'll have any difficulty. Just don't try driving after dark, because you'll blind the oncoming drivers with your headlights pointing at the sky.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hmmm I don’t think you have 2300lbs of payload available but I guess I could be wrong. But that seems very high for a 1500 Ram. Even the megacab diesel 2500s don’t have that much payload.

Mathis35

Reaction score
I'd see if they deliver or use a small dump trailer.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I thought it seemed like to much. I had 1000 pounds the other day. It only squatted 2inch. The truck was leveled haha. Gonna pull the manual out and take look at the info in door jam.

But I agree I rather have them pay 65$ to have it delivered lol

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
keep this for future reference
Subtract the curb weight from the GVWR to find the payload capacity. For example, if you have a light-duty truck with a GVWR of 9,000 pounds and a curb weight of 6,000 pounds, the payload capacity will be 3,000 pounds: GVWR – curb weight = payload capacity.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Subtract the curb weight from the GVWR to find the payload capacity. For example, if you have a light-duty truck with a GVWR of 9,000 pounds and a curb weight of 6,000 pounds, the payload capacity will be 3,000 pounds: GVWR – curb weight = payload capacity.

That’s what I thought. With the bed able to hold 2300 from what I read. Dose seem high. But these truck are able to hold more then even 2017. Which I read bed can only handle 1800 pounds.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s what I thought. With the bed able to hold 2300 from what I read. Dose seem high. But these truck are able to hold more then even 2017. Which I read bed can only handle 1800 pounds.
Where are you reading this 2300lb and 1800lb numbers?

Go look at your door jamb. It will tell you what your truck can have...but that number is for the whole truck.

The bed is not limited to a number.

Since you brought up 2017 as a comparison...they are the same bed as a 3500 truck and can have payloads up to 4000lbs.

The bed is not the limiting factor. Your rear axle weights are.

A 1500 truck...good guess it has about 1500lbs of payload dependant on configuration and options...some less some more.

2300lbs...sure the truck can haul it...but you nor the truck are going to enjoy it.

And depending...you may cause more issues than 65 bucks will cover.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is good information...but unless you are going to a scale...not going to help.

You would look in your door jamb...and the info is right there.

Just look in the door jamb.

Now if you want to get an idea what the base weight of your truck from the factory is

take the numbers in the door jamb and enter them and you will get your base weight.

If you added equipment this will obviously be more.

Weighmytruck.com is the best app you can get. Go pay the 12 bucks and then you know. You will then also know your exact axle weights...and then you can cheat a bit more payload out from the stated number on your door...by using the axle capacities. But understand, stopping, turning and acceleration will be affected

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Where are you reading this 2300lb and 1800lb numbers?

Go look at your door jamb. It will tell you what your truck can have...but that number is for the whole truck.

The bed is not limited to a number.

Since you brought up 2017 as a comparison...they are the same bed as a 3500 truck and can have payloads up to 4000lbs.

The bed is not the limiting factor. Your rear axle weights are.

A 1500 truck...good guess it has about 1500lbs of payload dependant on configuration and options...some less some more.

2300lbs...sure the truck can haul it...but you nor the truck are going to enjoy it.

And depending...you may cause more issues than 65 bucks will cover.

I agree it probably better to have to pay 65 to deliver it.

I did some google searching. I know not the best lol. That’s Where they mention the bed can hold X amount. But they are simple saying the bed can handle it. If I have a full truck of 5 people and gear. Then I understand the load I put in the bed decreases.

I’m going to take a lot at the jam in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/