5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload discrepancy between door jamb sticker and RAM web site

Max

Reaction score
New limited 4x4 crew cab owner with 22" wheels 5' 7" bed, 5.7 Hemi and std 3.21 rear axle. I pick up some tile for a new home project and found out the door jamb tag say payload of 1440 lbs. but the RAM web site states my config should be 1770 lbs. Can anyone explain why the web site and door jamb sticker have a 320 lb difference? I had to make two trips because the nanny state supplier would not load 1700 lbs..
Thanks

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pay close attention to how they figure payload and towing. Use a trim with 33% of options...you have a limited 90% or more of options.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Short math...GVWR-truck weight

7100-a heavy limited will have less payload than the 7100-minimum for comparison.

The Ram website...even when you input a VIN is not going to be exactly your truck. Unfortunately.

RPeezy

Reaction score
Essentially, every V8 truck has a GVWR of 7100 lbs. Every option or configuration change affects the weight of the truck. The advertised number is for the most basic, no options truck for the given configuration (cab, bed, drive, etc.), and the Limited trim is far from that.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every 4x4 V8 has 7100, just to be clear. 2wd is 6900 and V6 4x4 has 6900 and 2wd has 6800, a few other configurations do have less GVWR...HFE for example, which we should be hearing more about soon

And of course there are other examples were this may differ as well, but that is the just of it.

RPeezy

Reaction score
Every 4x4 V8 has 7100, just to be clear. 2wd is 6900 and V6 4x4 has 6900 and 2wd has 6800, a few other configurations do have less GVWR...HFE for example, which we should be hearing more about soon

And of course there are other examples were this may differ as well, but that is the just of it.

Ah, yeah, thanks for that clarification.

runamuck

Reaction score
since the sticker is generated at the factory where the truck is built and every item that goes into the build is in a computer data base, seems that the sticker should be exact with regards to the vehicle as it leaves the factory. the final truck could/maybe is weighed at the end of the line. seems pretty simple. end the confusion. case in point: Max with a limited says his door sticker is for 1440# while my ccsb 4x4 5.7 laramie with a couple less options is only 1385#...how does that make sense....seems like it would be the other way around.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
since the sticker is generated at the factory where the truck is built and every item that goes into the build is in a computer data base, seems that the sticker should be exact with regards to the vehicle as it leaves the factory. the final truck could/maybe is weighed at the end of the line. seems pretty simple. end the confusion. case in point: Max with a limited says his door sticker is for 1440# while my ccsb 4x4 5.7 laramie with a couple less options is only 1385#...how does that make sense....seems like it would be the other way around.
I think you mentioned in another post that you have the Off-road Group (119lbs) and the 33 Gallon Fuel Tank (73lbs). Those are some of the heavier options and could help explain the difference.

It’s helpful if you add the specs for your truck, list of options and build date to your signature. That way we know the particulars of your truck.

Last edited:

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
I think you mentioned in another post that you have the Off-road Group (119lbs) and the 33 Gallon Fuel Tank (73lbs). Those are some of the heavier options and could explain the difference.

It’s helpful if you add the specs for your truck, list of options and build date to your signature. That way we know the particulars of your truck.
Ditto. The more options you have the more weight it adds. E torque adds weight, panoramic roof adds weight, air suspension adds weight, off road package adds weight, etc. Bottom line every truck is different based on it's options.

Dawn

Reaction score
New limited 4x4 crew cab owner with 22" wheels 5' 7" bed, 5.7 Hemi and std 3.21 rear axle. I pick up some tile for a new home project and found out the door jamb tag say payload of 1440 lbs. but the RAM web site states my config should be 1770 lbs. Can anyone explain why the web site and door jamb sticker have a 320 lb difference? I had to make two trips because the nanny state supplier would not load 1700 lbs..
Thanks
Just bought a 2019 2500 Laramie. Same problem. Dealership said 3200. Mopar site says 2310. Sticker on truck says 1975.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 2500 Laramie. Same problem. Dealership said 3200. Mopar site says 2310. Sticker on truck says 1975.
Trust the truck sticker. It’s the only one that matches your truck’s exact configuration.

Dawn

Reaction score
Trust the truck sticker. It’s the only one that matches your truck’s exact configuration.
Upon further investigation, I decided to look at my truck with a gas/hemi engine. Found out it has 3200lb payload and 14.2k towing capacity. So basically, all the dealerships are advertising my truck with the specs for a gas engine not a diesel. Now I am pissed because I just spent 80k on a truck and didn't get what I paid for.

Dawn

Reaction score
Thanks
Thanks
I just found 3 other people on YouTube with the same problem. All have contacted ram corporate and like me, have gotten nowhere. Ram is aware of the false advertising but isn't doing anything to make it right.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I would say that probably most people who switches from sedan or SUV to a first truck learn it hard way the importance of checking payload sticker. I personally never paid any attention to it until I bought single axle small trailer to use with my family SUV. And yes, it is not in the dealers interest to point out the actual capability of each truck but it is there out in the open, consumer needs to be aware.

Dawn

Reaction score
I would say that probably most people who switches from sedan or SUV to a first truck learn it hard way the importance of checking payload sticker. I personally never paid any attention to it until I bought single axle small trailer to use with my family SUV. And yes, it is not in the dealers interest to point out the actual capability of each truck but it is there out in the open, consumer needs to be aware.
Well, according to the Texas department of transportation, its illegal for them to advertise more than what it really has. Legally, they will either have to put me in a new truck or refund my money. Not only that, I'm being advised by my attorney to blow the whistle which would lead to a massive recall. God only knows how many people out there are exceeding their true capabilities.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess that will go back to the dawn of time.

No one buys the max payload and max towing trucks (and yes, they are both different the max payload can not be the max towing)

Commercials all show the max trucks capacities while showing the most popular truck In the commercial.

I really hope you win this case. That would do wonders for the manufacturers to be more open.

But they always put the disclaimers on the commercials and the ads.

Them telling you the capacities of a Hemi when you are buying a Cummins isn't much different than a trailer salesman constantly telling you unlaiden weight, when the GVWR is what you need. They don't give you false info, just the wrong info.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, according to the Texas department of transportation, its illegal for them to advertise more than what it really has.
This is interesting that it is illegal to advertise more, but every 1500 owner wanting to pull a 5th wheel says it is ok to go over ratings, it will be fine.

Very interested to see what the dealership does...can not really see FCA being at fault for this...they publish all the info and it is right there on the door jamb

Users who are viewing this thread