5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload capacity for 2023 Limited

Dietz5285

Reaction score
I received notice that my 2023 Limited is ready to ship, in the notice the payload was 1279 lbs, this is nearly 500 lbs less than my 2019 Bighorn. The towing capacity for the Limited is 10910. Our 25 foot Airstream weighs' 5600 lbs with a tongue weight of 875 lbs, leaving us with 404 lbs for payload without passengers ! What good is a a large tow limit with such a little payload.

I do not need to hear from anyone about moving to a 2500, that is not an option.

Gary

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I received notice that my 2023 Limited is ready to ship, in the notice the payload was 1279 lbs, this is nearly 500 lbs less than my 2019 Bighorn. The towing capacity for the Limited is 10910. Our 25 foot Airstream weighs' 5600 lbs with a tongue weight of 875 lbs, leaving us with 404 lbs for payload without passengers ! What good is a a large tow limit with such a little payload.

I do not need to hear from anyone about moving to a 2500, that is not an option.

Gary
I'm happy to see that you understand the payload/towing thing - there are a lot of people who don't.

Unfortunately, that's the big game that manufacturers play. Big towing numbers, but you can't actually pull them. Technically, the specs are correct (your powertrain can pull it), but it's misleading for sure.

Loudram

Reaction score
Unfortunately that happens a lot to people who buy higher trim level trucks. The more options a truck has the more it weighs the lower the payload. That's why the first thing I looked at when searching for my truck was the payload. If you want to see something depressing check out the 4th gen limited payloads. Some of them are under 1000 lbs. My truck has a sticker payload of 1749 lbs but I'm going to get it weighed to determine the real payload before I hook up my trailer. That's what I would recommend. Put it on a scale and get the real world numbers. Do it with a full tank of gas. That weight is included in your stickered payload.

You'll probably have to get creative with your loading of the truck and trailer.

The other option which you probably won't like is to pass on this truck and get a lower optioned 1500. I'm sure you understand this but I have to say it, no there isn't a way to legally increase your payload with the exception of removing items from the truck like the spare tire. The payload of the truck is nothing more than gross weight minus curb weight.

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score

Gary
read this thread

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Gary
Yea the towing numbers are misleading. That is why I try to keep informing people that are buying a new 1500 truck to tow a camper in the future.

These 1500s are really not designed haul much weight, or tow heavy trailers or campers that translate to heavy pin weights that quickly eat up all of your payload. These 1500s are made to be comfortable, maneuverable, and can haul or tow weekend warrior stuff.

I really suggest, that you look into 3500s. The next big mistake that new truck buyers make is that they think moving up to a 2500 will solve their payload issues. Will definitely not if getting the Cummins because it is so heavy and eats into payload, not leaving much more than a 1500.
People argue comfort of 2500 vs 3500, I say BS. I’ve had both. Gas and diesel. Get a 3500.
You can get a single rear wheel that is better for an everyday driver, or go dually for the big stuff.

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
I agree.
I did a lot of research to find my Limited that could still tow. Had to give up on having the multifunction tailgate and ramboxes. Those alone cost you over 100 lbs! The etorque is also 45 lbs of payload. I ended up with 1368 lbs, so I was happy with that because I think I can still tow 6000-7000 lbs and stay in limits. With a Limited, you will be lucky to break 1500 lbs if you leave off all the optional equipment.

Your tongue weight seems a little high. I think you can get away with 10%-12% if you are able to move items to the back or over the axle?

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Yea the towing numbers are misleading. That is why I try to keep informing people that are buying a new 1500 truck to tow a camper in the future.

These 1500s are really not designed haul much weight, or tow heavy trailers or campers that translate to heavy pin weights that quickly eat up all of your payload. These 1500s are made to be comfortable, maneuverable, and can haul or tow weekend warrior stuff.

I really suggest, that you look into 3500s. The next big mistake that new truck buyers make is that they think moving up to a 2500 will solve their payload issues. Will definitely not if getting the Cummins because it is so heavy and eats into payload, not leaving much more than a 1500.
People argue comfort of 2500 vs 3500, I say BS. I’ve had both. Gas and diesel. Get a 3500.
You can get a single rear wheel that is better for an everyday driver, or go dually for the big stuff.
No doubt. I saw a Youtube idiot the other day that had a 2500 with a diesel and and a 14,000 fifthwheel. He didn't answer my question about his payload limit! LOL

There was no way that truck had more than 2000 lb payload and he had well over 3000 lbs with all the crap and people. Not to mention he installed wheel spacers to fit bigger tires.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No doubt. I saw a Youtube idiot the other day that had a 2500 with a diesel and and a 14,000 fifthwheel. He didn't answer my question about his payload limit! LOL

There was no way that truck had more than 2000 lb payload and he had well over 3000 lbs with all the crap and people. Not to mention he installed wheel spacers to fit bigger tires.
Yep, yep, yep, I see it all the time on the expressway.

Loudram

Reaction score
Your tongue weight seems a little high. I think you can get away with 10%-12% if you are able to move items to the back or over the axle?
Weight over the axles is ideal. Be careful with too much weight behind the axles, that could cause the trailer to sway.

The tongue weight range you want to be in is between 10% and 15%. 12% is ideal. My trailer is around 13%. My brochure tongue weight is 650 lbs but my scaled tongue weight is around 925 lbs.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
We have decided to not get the Limited, talked to dealer and he will give us our deposit back. If someone is looking for a Limited in Patriot blue with MFT, 3.92 rear end,level 1 package there is now one for sale at Buds Chrysler/Ram dealer

Loudram

Reaction score
We have decided to not get the Limited, talked to dealer and he will give us our deposit back. If someone is looking for a Limited in Patriot blue with MFT, 3.92 rear end,level 1 package there is now one for sale at Buds Chrysler/Ram dealer
I think you're making a smart move. Look around and try to find a nicely equipped '22 Bighorn or Laramie. Avoid the MFT, Ram Box, and the E-torque and you'll be surprised how much more payload you'll have. MY '23 Hemi powered trucks are all E-torque. Have to get a '22 if you want to avoid that.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The reason the Limited has low payload, is due to the air suspension. The factory air suspension is only meant for ride height adjustment, not payload, like aftermarket add on airbags. A trailer weighing 5,600lb, should only have about 600lb of tongue weight. You need to load the trailer more rear heavy.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Adding rear air to my 3500 CCLB 4x4 SRW Limited reduced available payload. So did the HO/Aisin/BW 44-48/12" rear axle the HO gets.

All the options/trims take away payload.

Poor thing is only 3707.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason the Limited has low payload, is due to the air suspension. The factory air suspension is only meant for ride height adjustment, not payload, like aftermarket add on airbags. A trailer weighing 5,600lb, should only have about 600lb of tongue weight. You need to load the trailer more rear heavy.
The air suspension only reduces overall payload by 34 lbs and is a load-leveling system. It is more robust than aftermarket airbags.

Travel trailers do not follow the typical 10% tongue weight rule, they need more.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
The 875 lb tongue weight is from manufacturer web site and documentation that came with the trailer

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The air suspension only reduces overall payload by 34 lbs and is a load-leveling system. It is more robust than aftermarket airbags.

Travel trailers do not follow the typical 10% tongue weight rule, they need more.
I agree the factory system is only a leveling system. It is not designed to add payload. Aftermarket systems are to add payload. People are mistaken if they get the air system and think otherwise. Travel trailers do not need heavier tongue weights, the manufacturers just don't care if they are tongue heavy. It doesn't matter what you are towing, the easiest way to tow, is neutral balance. However that is dangerous, because that can lift the tow vehicle over bumps. No matter what you are towing, 10% of the trailer weight should be on the tongue for stability. 5th wheels are a different story, due to the weight being applied directly over the axle.

Ramerk

Reaction score
I'm happy to see that you understand the payload/towing thing - there are a lot of people who don't.

Unfortunately, that's the big game that manufacturers play. Big towing numbers, but you can't actually pull them. Technically, the specs are correct (your powertrain can pull it), but it's misleading for sure.
Just spitballing here. But wouldn’t the max tow be more useful for boaters? It’s my understanding that boats have much lower tongue weight than TTs.

Or does it still apply because you still need to get to that 10% tongue weight?

Last edited:

irishwake63

Reaction score
if you dont need a full size back seat look into a quad cab I have 1878 payload on mine and its pretty equipped longer bed and lots of payload

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
if you dont need a full size back seat look into a quad cab I have 1878 payload on mine and its pretty equipped longer bed and lots of payload
Got nothing to do with that.
OP got a Limited which are fully loaded and thus very heavy and leaves next to no payload.
Without seeing them in person the towing rates are extremely deceving on these trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread