5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payload capacity for 2023 Limited

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
if you dont need a full size back seat look into a quad cab I have 1878 payload on mine and its pretty equipped longer bed and lots of payload
Limited's (or Laramie's) do not come in quad cab configurations. Even if they did the payload hit is from all the extra goodies

23RAM

Reaction score
Just spitballing here. But wouldn’t the max tow be more useful for boaters? It’s my understanding that boats have much lower tongue weight than TTs.
Or does it still apply because you still need to get to that 10% tongue weight?
My boat trailer manufacturer specs 5-7% tongue weight, and I have mine at 5% or 250 lbs and it hauls smoothly.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
Got nothing to do with that.
OP got a Limited which are fully loaded and thus very heavy and leaves next to no payload.
Without seeing them in person the towing rates are extremely deceving on these trucks.
Yep. This. I have a Limited with about the same payload as the OP. Rambox, MFT, eTorque...they all add up. The only way to know for sure where you are at with your payload capacity is to scale your full rig. CAT scales are your friend...the app is easy to use, and while it costs a few bucks it is better than doing all kinds of mathematical gymnastics to try to guesstimate your numbers.

I scaled my truck without trailer, with empty trailer, and then with the trailer loaded with my heaviest towing item. That lets you know how much hitch weight the empty trailer puts on your hitch, and then when it is loaded you can figure how much of the total load weight is on your hitch vs the trailer axles. And you can see how much difference the load positioning makes. Too far forward and you can overload your hitch weight quickly.

Ramerk

Reaction score
Yep. This. I have a Limited with about the same payload as the OP. Rambox, MFT, eTorque...they all add up. The only way to know for sure where you are at with your payload capacity is to scale your full rig. CAT scales are your friend...the app is easy to use, and while it costs a few bucks it is better than doing all kinds of mathematical gymnastics to try to guesstimate your numbers.

I scaled my truck without trailer, with empty trailer, and then with the trailer loaded with my heaviest towing item. That lets you know how much hitch weight the empty trailer puts on your hitch, and then when it is loaded you can figure how much of the total load weight is on your hitch vs the trailer axles. And you can see how much difference the load positioning makes. Too far forward and you can overload your hitch weight quickly.
Jarrod (or anyone reading this post)Do you have a tonneau cover? If so, did its weight play into your decision? The retractable seem to weigh more than say the weathertech trifold

I have a 2024 limited order placed and will need to choose a cover

My f150 had gator trax which I liked, but already losing bed space to the ram Box and the payload issues I think it is not the way to go. If I did retractable, I was thinking American roll cover but seems like I talked myself out of it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Jarrod (or anyone reading this post)Do you have a tonneau cover? If so, did its weight play into your decision? The retractable seem to weigh more than say the weathertech trifold

I have a 2024 limited order placed and will need to choose a cover

My f150 had gator trax which I liked, but already losing bed space to the ram Box and the payload issues I think it is not the way to go. If I did retractable, I was thinking American roll cover but seems like I talked myself out of it.
The cover directly affects your payload.
Get whatever cover you want with whatever weight you want.
I don't think the retractable was much more then my hard tri-fold, maybe a little.
Manufactures will list weights of their products before you buy them.
A soft rollup would be the lightest for sure.

Jarrod32

Reaction score
I don't think the retractable was much more then my hard tri-fold, maybe a little.

I did consider the fact that it would add weight, but wanted a cover. I like the soft rollup covers anyway, and like Darksteel said it was (slightly) lighter than the other options. That is what I went with.

Ramerk

Reaction score
Gator trax mx 90 lbs
Weathertech hard alloy trifold 50 lbs
American roll cover 175 lbs

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The america roll cover is a full toolbox in addition to a cover, not comparing to same thing...
But you get the jist
I didn't look at them, like you did, but wondered how the hell one weighed that much.

Ramerk

Reaction score
I was trying to find the weight of the American roll cover without the tool box

Only place that had weights listed for it were Amazon for shipping. But that pic did not have the optional toolbox

I have posed the question on real truck
If no reply, after the holiday I will call the company that makes them. They don’t list the weight spec either for any of their line

Truck Covers USA CR103 American Roll Cover https://a.co/d/hzfE4Y9

John Galt

Reaction score
Hmmmm….my 2023 4wd Limited came in with 1389 lbs payload….but yeah that “tow capacity“ number is meaningless.

Users who are viewing this thread