5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"ParkSense Temporarily Unavailable"

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
5th Gen 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn......I will be driving down the road, I hear a chime, I look down onto the dash cluster and see "ParkSense Temporarily Unavailable" and both thumb switches on the console are lit up (showing deactivated).........................Just took it to 'LANDERS DODGE of NORMAN', they said it only needed a software update. $300 later and today the same demon reared its ugly head up again. They did NOT fix the issue. All Landers did was empty my wallet of $300...................""ANYONE GET A PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND GET THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED?""

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the sensors? Take it back too. Get your money back and find either stealership.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Have you tried cleaning the sensors? Take it back too. Get your money back and find either stealership.
It's under MOPAR Warranty. I can't touch it, other than routine maintenance issues. It's going back 1-19-2023 at 9:00am, for them to FIX IT. The damn extended MOPAR WARRANTY cost out the yazoo, and I'll be damned if their going to do that "Oh that's not covered bs!"

tom318

Reaction score
I get this occasionally but only when the sensors are dirty or covered in snow/Ice. Even excessive salt spray could trouble them, just give them a quick wipe if dirty.

Though when it happens to me i typically only lose the front sensors and only that switch lights up on the dash, not both front and rear. Was the $300 your deductible on the warranty or was this out side of that?

vincentw56

Reaction score
It's under MOPAR Warranty. I can't touch it, other than routine maintenance issues. It's going back 1-19-2023 at 9:00am, for them to FIX IT. The damn extended MOPAR WARRANTY cost out the yazoo, and I'll be damned if their going to do that "Oh that's not covered bs!"
What does a Mopar warranty have to do with cleaning the sensors?

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
What does a Mopar warranty have to do with cleaning the sensors?
Cleaning isn't the issue. Their all perfectly clean. However you/we/I start messing with the Harnesses/clips, or tamper with them, that gives MOPAR the ability to say "I BROKE THE SYSTEM"

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
I get this occasionally but only when the sensors are dirty or covered in snow/Ice. Even excessive salt spray could trouble them, just give them a quick wipe if dirty.

Though when it happens to me i typically only lose the front sensors and only that switch lights up on the dash, not both front and rear. Was the $300 your deductible on the warranty or was this out side of that?
The $300 was the cost for the Software Update and co-pay.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Cleaning isn't the issue. Their all perfectly clean. However you/we/I start messing with the Harnesses/clips, or tamper with them, that gives MOPAR the ability to say "I BROKE THE SYSTEM"
But you don't have to mess with harnesses/clips to clean them. You just take a towel and some cleaner and give them a clean. I still don't understand what is the big deal. It's in the manual too I believe.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know you say your sensors are perfectly clean, but I wouldn't write off what Vincent is suggesting completely. If this is isolated and the only issue you are experiencing, I would lean towards it being something simple just as he suggested. Reason being, Parksense is tied into several systems (from my understanding at least). I have had the same parksense unavailable message come up on my truck twice, but both times I had that issue, I was flooded with other issues and warning lights such as Airbag warnings, trailer TPMS, Trailer brakes, etc.

In my case, it ended up being a couple of blown fuses, but again, wouldn't expect that to be the issue with yours if not seeing additional warning lights.

Either way, interested to hear what the dealer ends up saying the issue is.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
I know you say your sensors are perfectly clean, but I wouldn't write off what Vincent is suggesting completely. If this is isolated and the only issue you are experiencing, I would lean towards it being something simple just as he suggested. Reason being, Parksense is tied into several systems (from my understanding at least). I have had the same parksense unavailable message come up on my truck twice, but both times I had that issue, I was flooded with other issues and warning lights such as Airbag warnings, trailer TPMS, Trailer brakes, etc.

In my case, it ended up being a couple of blown fuses, but again, wouldn't expect that to be the issue with yours if not seeing additional warning lights.

Either way, interested to hear what the dealer ends up saying the issue is.
I am now getting a SERVICE SHIFTER message, as well as the Shifter light itself was blinking, plus It tried to go into LIMP MODE the other day after I got several Shifter and ParkSense messages....That damn system is possessed!....A gentleman on another RAM forum said his did the exact same thing, and he found that the Multi-pin connector under the drivers side on the frame rail had gotten corroded. He cleaned it, applied Dielectric Grease, put it back together, and hasn't had a single message in 6 months.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Just got our truck back from dealership garage last night, May 3, 2023. The the service manager claimed the technician had PROPERLY DIAGNOSED & FIXED the issue. I guess the truck didn't get the memo. I started the truck this morning. ISSUE IS STILL THERE!!!....Truck goes back to them bright and early Monday morning, May 7, 2023...........This is 100% BS!...........CHRYLSER/RAM/DODGE, GET YOUR BUTT INVOLVED!

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
If the problem is corrosion in a harness, that won't be covered by warranty anyway. That's not a part failure. It should be covered if it is a sensor, or module.

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
If the problem is corrosion in a harness, that won't be covered by warranty anyway. That's not a part failure. It should be covered if it is a sensor, or module.
My local dealers RAM technicians are still stumped. There has now been a "STAR TICKET" issued by the Dealerships General Manager and Service Manager, so that the actual Chrysler Engineers are now personally involved........Wiring Harness ARE covered under the Parts Warranty, for the simple fact they are NOT common wear/common maintenance parts. This appears to be an nation wide issue, concerning the PARK SENSE SYSTEM. I have a sneaky feeling there's fixing to be a "RECALL" generated for this. The Park Sense is tied into countless others electrical systems (some of which are very dangerous, if deactivated while driving, I found that out, when the PS disengaged my transmission while driving, then re-engaged it in the wrong gear, locking up the rear end, bringing me to a dead halt). The Park Sense system CAN kill, if it malfunctions while the vehicle is moving at a high rate of speed, such as the highway...** In fact, one almost did do that. The PS System locked up the brakes, while a man was pulling a trailer, on a highway, causing him to lose control of the truck and trailer, flipping and rolling both vehicles, several times, severely inuring himself and his family**

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, nation wide issue.

Did you ever try to clean your truck?
I get the same message with my sensors whenever I drive through the touch free carwash but no problems with my system.

Also not sure why you paid $300 but then claimed "it was under warranty". You don't pay for warranty work.

Park sense also doesn't lock up the brakes when driving, you are getting that confused with a differnet system it would seem. You can also just turn it off, I have mine turned off except for the sensor (will nor brake).
I also turned off the separate forward brake assist which is likely what you are referring to and is a differnet system then park sense. It does sometimes get false positives even on the highway and has slammed on the breaks when I was in the left lane with no one in front of me, and thus I disabled it. Now it just beeps (which it does sometimes when i definitely do NOT want to slam on my brakes).

vincentw56

Reaction score
My local dealers RAM technicians are still stumped. There has now been a "STAR TICKET" issued by the Dealerships General Manager and Service Manager, so that the actual Chrysler Engineers are now personally involved........Wiring Harness ARE covered under the Parts Warranty, for the simple fact they are NOT common wear/common maintenance parts. This appears to be an nation wide issue, concerning the PARK SENSE SYSTEM. I have a sneaky feeling there's fixing to be a "RECALL" generated for this. The Park Sense is tied into countless others electrical systems (some of which are very dangerous, if deactivated while driving, I found that out, when the PS disengaged my transmission while driving, then re-engaged it in the wrong gear, locking up the rear end, bringing me to a dead halt). The Park Sense system CAN kill, if it malfunctions while the vehicle is moving at a high rate of speed, such as the highway...** In fact, one almost did do that. The PS System locked up the brakes, while a man was pulling a trailer, on a highway, causing him to lose control of the truck and trailer, flipping and rolling both vehicles, several times, severely inuring himself and his family**
Park Assist sensors don't do anything that you say they do. They are actually disabled over a certain speed. I forget how fast, but they are for sure. The forward collision warning (FCW) is what stops the truck off it detects a possible collision.

Sunny3150

Reaction score
5th Gen 2019 RAM 1500 4x4 Bighorn......I will be driving down the road, I hear a chime, I look down onto the dash cluster and see "ParkSense Temporarily Unavailable" and both thumb switches on the console are lit up (showing deactivated).........................Just took it to 'LANDERS DODGE of NORMAN', they said it only needed a software update. $300 later and today the same demon reared its ugly head up again. They did NOT fix the issue. All Landers did was empty my wallet of $300...................""ANYONE GET A PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND GET THIS PROBLEM RESOLVED?""
I have the same problem--- what did you do to get this fixed>>>>????

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
PARK SENSE UPDATE/LANDERS CHRYSLER SERVICE DEPARTMENT:.........customer says "THE VEHICLES PARKING SENSORS ARE SAYING UNAVAILABLE. THE MODULE HAS BEEN REPLACED. INSTALL SOP Cause: SPREAD TERMINAL ON PARK ASSIST MODULE C1 CONNECTOR. Correction: FOUND THAT THE VEHICLE HAD "DTC U0159" IN BOTH THE ABS AND IPC MODULE, AS ACTIVE, AND THAT THE PARK ASSIST MODULE WAS DEAD ON THE BUS. TESTED FOR POWER, GROUND, AND BUS AT THE C1 CONNECTOR, AND FOUND 12.4 VOLTS ON PIN 1 AND THAT IT WOULD LIGHT A 3157 BULB. FOUND THAT THE GROUND HAD .2 OHMS AND WOULD ALSO LIGHT A 3157 BULB. FOUND CAN C+ TO BE AT 2.7VOLTS AND CAN C- TO BE AT 2.3 VOLTS. FOUND WHEN PERFORMING "WIGGLE TEST" ON THE C1 CONNECTOR, THAT THE MODULE WOULD COME ONLINE AND GO BACK DEAD. TESTED PIN FITMENT AND FOUND PIN #1 ON THE BATTERY POWER CIRCUIT TO BE LOOSE. REPLACED PIGTAIL AND RETESTED ALL WIRING. FOUND NO ISSUE AND THAT THE PARKASSIST WAS WORKING AS DESIGNED.0891PSD3 (repair time2.1 HRS 590)

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Lol, nation wide issue.

Did you ever try to clean your truck?
I get the same message with my sensors whenever I drive through the touch free carwash but no problems with my system.

Also not sure why you paid $300 but then claimed "it was under warranty". You don't pay for warranty work.

Park sense also doesn't lock up the brakes when driving, you are getting that confused with a differnet system it would seem. You can also just turn it off, I have mine turned off except for the sensor (will nor brake).
I also turned off the separate forward brake assist which is likely what you are referring to and is a differnet system then park sense. It does sometimes get false positives even on the highway and has slammed on the breaks when I was in the left lane with no one in front of me, and thus I disabled it. Now it just beeps (which it does sometimes when i definitely do NOT want to slam on my brakes).
Turned out to be a WIRING HARNESS issue. Had to have wiring harness and connectors replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread