5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking brake

Jmsmith716

Reaction score
My emergency break on occasion engages and stops the truck dead in its tracks while backing out of my driveway. Anyone have this issue?

JV77

Reaction score
It might be auto park engaging. Mine does this if I have my seatbelt off and open a door while reversing. I am sure there are a few conditions that would make this engage, but I am not sure what they all are. Does the instrument cluster display "auto park engaged" or something to that effect immediately after the brake engages?

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's the Automatic Reverse Braking "detecting" something with the rear sonar sensors. Moving too fast towards an inclined surface, a curb, or a leaf blowing in the air has caused mine to lock it up too. However, it's useful when backing in rear a bush or those plow markers that don't show well in the camera.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its rear park assist; there are a lot of discussions about it. I turned off the auto-braking for the same problem. I now keep it on and have learned how to back out of my driveway without it locking up.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Its rear park assist; there are a lot of discussions about it. I turned off the auto-braking for the same problem. I now keep it on and have learned how to back out of my driveway without it locking up.
How did you change? Mine isn't steep and randomly does it. I cant see anything that might cause it to go off.

R1nZX

Reaction score
I had the same issue backing out of my driveway, which is not steep at all. Go into your UConnect settings and disable the auto-braking on backup. Hopefully they'll correct this in a future software upgrade, because that's a useful feature if it works properly, but when it panic-stops backing out of a driveway it's unusable. Mine is a pretty gradual slope, there's no reason it should be triggering this.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How did you change? Mine isn't steep and randomly does it. I cant see anything that might cause it to go off.

Here is what I did..... 1. I turned off the brake assist for about two months. 2. I turned the brake assist back on because I decided I wanted to use it. 3. For the first few days after turning it back on; I used the switch on my console to switch it off manually before I backed out of my driveway; then turned it back on. 4. I also had read somewhere that additional brake pressure on the pedal when backing would alleviate it; so now I make sure I'm giving it a little more pressure when coming down my driveway. 5. I no longer turn it off and I have not had any issues. My driveway is not very steep; but it would lock up at the end of it every day....now it does not.

What I think I really did was cause the system to re-learn itself through my actions. But honestly; it is no longer a problem even though it used to happen nearly every time I backed out of my driveway.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
I would rather leave mine on versus running over someone or into something. It only happens on occasion and you never know what the Florida pedestrians and drivers will do.
I had the same issue backing out of my driveway, which is not steep at all. Go into your UConnect settings and disable the auto-braking on backup. Hopefully they'll correct this in a future software upgrade, because that's a useful feature if it works properly, but when it panic-stops backing out of a driveway it's unusable. Mine is a pretty gradual slope, there's no reason it should be triggering this.
Thanks but I would rather leave mine on versus running over someone or into something. It only happens on occasion and you never know what the Florida pedestrians and drivers will do.

Jmsmith716

Reaction score
Thank you for the info

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since when do we need auto-braking parking-sensors to keep from running over someone?? :geek:

S

Smashy71

Since when do we need auto-braking parking-sensors to keep from running over someone?? :geek:
The guy who played Chekhov in the new Star Trek ran himself over and died. He had a Cherokee with the same drivetrain.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The guy who played Chekhov in the new Star Trek ran himself over and died. He had a Cherokee with the same drivetrain.

I seem to recall some kind of malfunction in that incident, something Mopar recalled and fixed? I don't remember it exactly.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Star Trek dudes deal was with the shifter itself. The jeeps were having a problem going into park. When he got out, jeep was in neutral and rolled down his driveway and pinned him as he checked his mail.

chad202

Reaction score
I unchecked the auto brake assist in the Uconnect settings and no more issues. Thinking back I remember going through the settings and seeing brake assist and thought it would be cool so I checked the box and that's when it all started. Tks.

Rich

Reaction score
I have the same issue.

My driveway has a slight to moderate incline, and is about 140 ft to back up.

I don't know why the sensors are so sensitive to an incline, but they are.

My work around is to reach over and turn off the back assist on the dash just before backing into the driveway. Then I have to remember to turn it on again at the top.

Unfortunately I have another car in the driveway at the top to maneuver around, so the back assist would be nice to have as an extra safety, if it only didn't false alarm and slam the brakes on only from the slope of the driveway itself with no other obstacles in the way.

kevinssaco

Reaction score
So mine just went off in the GD car wash!! I couldn’t go into drive and had cars piling up behind me!! Embarrassing! I’m going to turn off this feature. 1st Time it ever happened in the car wash! I had no clue WTF was happening and totally embarrassed! Guy behind me in a Chevy laughed and pointed out the Dodge emblem and should know better! My 1st hated moment with this truck. Let’s hope it’s the last

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So mine just went off in the GD car wash!! I couldn’t go into drive and had cars piling up behind me!! Embarrassing! I’m going to turn off this feature. 1st Time it ever happened in the car wash! I had no clue WTF was happening and totally embarrassed! Guy behind me in a Chevy laughed and pointed out the Dodge emblem and should know better! My 1st hated moment with this truck. Let’s hope it’s the last

Did ya take your seatbelt off during the car wash?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

And where did he see the Dodge emblem.:LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread