5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking - Backing In - Crooked

skny

Reaction score
Ok - I feel stupid here. I had a 4th gen 1500 and when I would back in to parking spaces or my driveway, I was always straight as an arrow.
When I attempt to back in with my current 5th gen 1500 Limited, I seem to always be crooked / not straight.
Doesn't matter if I try to use the camera & guidelines or mirrors (though I will say the blind spot mirrors suck for me for parking; my cheap stick on mirrors on the 4th gen worked better).
I may try to use the rearview mirror tilt function and see if that helps any.
Just curious if anyone else struggles to back this truck in straight.
Never had any issues with any other vehicles I've owned. Not sure what the disconnect is with me & this truck. I've had it since December and haven't figured it out yet!
Don't know if its the curvature of the hood, or because its the stock suspension whereas my 4th gen had a 6" lift or what.

o_O

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sometimes I do but it’s mostly when pulling in frontwards not backwards. I think it’s because this truck doesn’t turn very sharp tho, so there’s a learning curve

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel I am pretty straight backing in...my issue seems to be the guidelines for distance. They do not line up right for what I am used to. So backing into my driveway I have to be way over to fit a second vehicle. The lines look like I am right on the edge of the grass and I get out and am a good 6 inches in. I never get it right.

skny

Reaction score
I feel I am pretty straight backing in...my issue seems to be the guidelines for distance. They do not line up right for what I am used to. So backing into my driveway I have to be way over to fit a second vehicle. The lines look like I am right on the edge of the grass and I get out and am a good 6 inches in. I never get it right.
Yeah - I noticed that too. I usually used to NOT use the lines for determining the edges - but the current mirror/blind spots - and I guess the fact that I've got factory wheels/tires on still - don't let me see the wheel edges & pavement edges well. Now that I think of it - that's most likely my issue. Last truck I had I also had different wheels/tires with offset that had them stick out a bit, so it was easier to see them in the mirrors...my issue will probably go away when I finally swap wheels/tires.
I'm going to try the auto tilt in reverse function a bit and see if that helps.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i use the auto tilt function and it helps with my inclined driveway, there's a specific crack i line up with and there's plenty of room for both cars then.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok - I feel stupid here. I had a 4th gen 1500 and when I would back in to parking spaces or my driveway, I was always straight as an arrow.
When I attempt to back in with my current 5th gen 1500 Limited, I seem to always be crooked / not straight.
Doesn't matter if I try to use the camera & guidelines or mirrors (though I will say the blind spot mirrors suck for me for parking; my cheap stick on mirrors on the 4th gen worked better).
Never had any issues with any other vehicles I've owned. Not sure what the disconnect is with me & this truck. I've had it since December and haven't figured it out yet!
Don't know if its the curvature of the hood, or because its the stock suspension whereas my 4th gen had a 6" lift or what.

o_O
Doesn't your Limited have the surround view camera?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

o_O
Getting old🤣

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your used to your old truck having a lift and level. The new truck has a slight rake to it so the image out the side window, aligning to the parking lines will always make you crooked. Get the truck leveled and you'll be parking straight again.

I think another issue, if you use the camera, is that they don't seem to line up correctly. The curb always looks like its at an angle as I back up, even when I'm perfectly straight. I think the camera lens need minor adjustment.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad to hear that I'm not alone.
My old F150 had a great backup cam. Lines on the screen perfectly matched the tires, and I could back up for miles if I had to.

This truck, I struggle to back it up my driveway and into the garage every time I get home. It's like something just isn't lined up right.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody else notice the crooked curb image in the camera? I understand it will have a curvature due to the lens curvature, but the camera is centered so the passenger side of a curb should be the same distance as the driver's side on the screen.

If I remember correctly, my camera shows the curb on the driver's side closer and the passenger side appears further away from the bumper. The camera lines might be perfectly aligned with the parking lot lines, but the curb shows crooked.

Tydog96

Reaction score
I wrestle some with my limited just because of the size of the truck versus my '98 Laramie. I'm still adjusting to any swing-ins even a wide open parking spot. I have actually put my normal round 'stick-on' in my normal lower outside corner because it's curvature downward show me the white lines of a parking space. Then I use the camera to know how far to pull in (fwd or rev). I put those blind-spot stick-on's ony any vehicle I own. They help with blind-spot, and parking lines.

I don't like the downward move of the mirror as I loose perspective. I believe the limited does both mirrors if memory served - my 2011 Kia Optima would do just the driver's side I think. Again, not a fan personally.

Mch5jdm

Reaction score
I felt this too. I always back in and Even web I look completely square with mirrors and visual reference marks it’s off just a bit. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Guy's...I am offering a special for the month of April.

Securityguy's Back-Up Driving School. Are you and your significant other constantly getting pissed that you can't park straight??? Learn how to use your mirrors and back-up camera to back-up your RAM perfectly straight every time. One Hour class time (via ZOOM) and only $49.95. For those that sign-up before April 15, you get a free set of Ginsu Knives (plus shipping and handling of course).

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the my bighorn have downward tilting mirrors when backing up? I can’t find a setting for it

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does the my bighorn have downward tilting mirrors when backing up? I can’t find a setting for it
Probably not if it's a BH. You would see it in the settings. I have this feature and NOT a fan at all and have never used them in any vehicle I owned that had them.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I felt this too. I always back in and Even web I look completely square with mirrors and visual reference marks it’s off just a bit. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What mirrors do you have? I have the tow mirrors on my 4th gen, and test drove a 5th gen with tow mirrors, and didn't have any issue backing that one in (although I only backed it into a space twice). I don't tow but I really love the tow mirrors to see exactly where my tires are on the ground for backing up (I back in just about everywhere). I'm wondering if the standard mirrors are a little out of whack with yours and a few others description of what they are experiencing.

Also, for people that have the standard mirrors, how is the little convex lens in the top corner for this kind of thing?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See a chiropractor: you've probably picked up a leaning tendency. This "crooked backing in to parking" syndrome is a classic symptom.

Either that, or the new seat cushions have not formed to your wallet yet.

;)

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So the guidelines in reverse are spaced for the mirrors not the side of the truck so that’s why you won’t be at the edge when using them. Can’t help with the crookedness though as I don’t have that issue

Users who are viewing this thread