5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panoramic Sunroof Question

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is a Ram Elite?
Elite package. about the same as 10th anniversary. It has a suede headliner instead of cloth. And I have owned 5 other Rams. That truck had less headroom.

Attachments

• Sunroof.png
    Sunroof.png
    92 KB · Views: 17

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Elite package. about the same as 10th anniversary. It has a suede headliner instead of cloth. And I have owned 5 other Rams. That truck had less headroom.
"Slightly less". You are only person I have heard having issues with headroom. And you aren't even the tallest person posting

6of36

Reaction score
"Slightly less". You are only person I have heard having issues with headroom. And you aren't even the tallest person posting
I fit, but it's enough difference that I notice. I don't like the idea of my hair touching the suede, that if I do some kind of work that gets my hair dirty, staining suede. Cloth can be cleaned.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I fit, but it's enough difference that I notice. I don't like the idea of my hair touching the suede, that if I do some kind of work that gets my hair dirty, staining suede. Cloth can be cleaned.
Do you have the Kid N Play hair style that you are having issues? I'm 6'5" with panoramic sunroof and don't have any issues with headroom. Granted I shave my head, but even wearing hats isn't an issue huge_avatar.jpeg PXL_20230319_132248716.jpg

Dewey

Reaction score
I was looking in my truck after your last comment and thinking, how much headroom do you need? How big is your head? I'm 6 foot and have at least 6 inches or more between my head and the roof. I couldn't imagine anyone needing more. This truck had more headroom even with a sunroof than any truck I've had.
Andre The Giant would have had plenty of headroom in my truck with the pano.

Bertman

Reaction score
I'm 6'7", and I test drove a Limited Night package with the panoramic sunroof and hit my head on it and had to do the entire test drive with my head leaning to the side. I don't hit my head on my Limited Night package without the sunroof.

Some people can probably fit if they're taller than me and recline their seat, but that's not as comfortable for me and also takes legroom away from my son, who is also tall.

FWIW, I've also never had water leak into my truck.

6of36

Reaction score
Do you have the Kid N Play hair style that you are having issues? I'm 6'5" with panoramic sunroof and don't have any issues with headroom. Granted I shave my head, but even wearing hats isn't an issue View attachment 154865 View attachment 154866
I am only 6'-0". Like I said, maybe the suede headliner has different support behind it, due to heavier material. Or maybe the Elite seats have thicker padding. All I know is that the truck I didn't take, had less headroom than the 5 previous Rams i owned.

Ranger482

Reaction score
I love the panoramic sunroof on my 19 Laramie. I live in a cold climate and have had no leaks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
One thing the sunroof does is make the truck way hotter. They use a really poor thin material as a cover so the usb goes right through it.
Not a huge deal for me but somewhere that gets 80+ degree days all the time with the sun I wouldn't recommend it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
One thing the sunroof does is make the truck way hotter. They use a really poor thin material as a cover so the usb goes right through it.
Not a huge deal for me but somewhere that gets 80+ degree days all the time with the sun I wouldn't recommend it.
I have ceramic film on mine which made a huge difference.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have ceramic film on mine which made a huge difference.
I'm not sure the truth of it, but they claim it's a shattering hazard to put tint on a sunroof. Something about the glass not being able to hold all that heat with any tint on it. I'm sure it might be a situational thing as if it happened to everyone it would be more widespread.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I'm not sure the truth of it, but they claim it's a shattering hazard to put tint on a sunroof. Something about the glass not being able to hold all that heat with any tint on it. I'm sure it might be a situational thing as if it happened to everyone it would be more widespread.
Never heard that one before. I'm not sure how tint makes glass hotter. And mine is clear film.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Never heard that one before. I'm not sure how tint makes glass hotter.
Tint holds back heat. It stops the heat from going inside vs passing through. The heat stays on the glass and the glass in turn gets hotter.
That's why it's cooler inside when you tinted yours

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard this too, and has kinda kept me from tinting mine. Doesn't get real hot for real long around here though.

I can't imagine my truck without the sunroof. Ram did an amazing job with this truck. I can run down the highway with windows down, back window open and sunroof open and it's not that loud. If it's the least bit warm everything is open. Only close the sunroof when the sun is overhead.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Tint holds back heat. It stops the heat from going inside vs passing through. The heat stays on the glass and the glass in turn gets hotter.
That's why it's cooler inside when you tinted yours
I still don't think it is enough. From the quick search I did, clear film doesn't heat the glass that much.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing the sunroof does is allows you to open it to vent position to help let the heat out. I live in Nebraska, we have 90-100 degree days frequently in summer and can't say I've ever gotten in and thought, if it wasnt for this sunroof it would feel better inside. It's going to get hot inside regardless. Have you ever watched the news stories where they monitor interior temps during the summer to show why you should never leave children/pets unattended in a car in hot days? Within minutes, even without sunroof, it's over 120 degrees inside the car. At least with my sunroof I can open it and let the heat escape as I wait in the A/C to kick in and start blowing cool air.

Heat rises, and having that big hole in the roof for the heat to rise out of makes a huge difference. And anytime I park, I crack windows and open sunroof to vent. That actually keeps the truck cooler than with sunroof closed.

As far as tint in the sunroof, the reports about the sunroof shattering are few and far between, and no correlation between tinted or not, on if it will happen

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Pano it has never given me any issues and I use it almost daily, I absolutely love it! I am 6' 2-3" and I don't have any issues with headroom and I have the seat pretty upright, I can't lean back much anymore, getting old! :)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Another thing the sunroof does is allows you to open it to vent position to help let the heat out. I live in Nebraska, we have 90-100 degree days frequently in summer and can't say I've ever gotten in and thought, if it wasnt for this sunroof it would feel better inside. It's going to get hot inside regardless. Have you ever watched the news stories where they monitor interior temps during the summer to show why you should never leave children/pets unattended in a car in hot days? Within minutes, even without sunroof, it's over 120 degrees inside the car. At least with my sunroof I can open it and let the heat escape as I wait in the A/C to kick in and start blowing cool air.

Heat rises, and having that big hole in the roof for the heat to rise out of makes a huge difference. And anytime I park, I crack windows and open sunroof to vent. That actually keeps the truck cooler than with sunroof closed.

As far as tint in the sunroof, the reports about the sunroof shattering are few and far between, and no correlation between tinted or not, on if it will happen
The sunroof produces heat by letting it pass through vs getting absorbed with the body\headliner of the truck.

If you put your hand on the top headliner it will be cool to the touch, if you touch the closed sunroof you will feel the heat radiating down.

On a sunny day with the AC on I can still feel the heat on the top of my head coming from my closed\covered sunroof.
To be clear there are days when it is 75-85 degrees outside, I don't live in the South.

I thought it was well known the amount of heat the sunroof causes in these trucks? I guess not.

The problem isn't the sunroof, its the lack of a material to absorb the sun when it is fully closed, thus producing more heat inside the cab then with a flat roof.
Using the sunroof as a sunroof and opening it up of course it's going to work fine, just like cracking a window, but better because yes heat rises.
Unfortunately you can't crack open the sunroof unless the shade is completely open so you just let more sun in too

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The sunroof produces heat by letting it pass through vs getting absorbed with the body\headliner of the truck.

If you put your hand on the top headliner it will be cool to the touch, if you touch the closed sunroof you will feel the heat radiating down.

On a sunny day with the AC on I can still feel the heat on the top of my head coming from my closed\covered sunroof.
To be clear there are days when it is 75-85 degrees outside, I don't live in the South.

I thought it was well known the amount of heat the sunroof causes in these trucks? I guess not.

The problem isn't the sunroof, its the lack of a material to absorb the sun when it is fully closed, thus producing more heat inside the cab then with a flat roof.
Using the sunroof as a sunroof and opening it up of course it's going to work fine, just like cracking a window, but better because yes heat rises.
Unfortunately you can't crack open the sunroof unless the shade is completely open so you just let more sun in too
And ive never had an issue with the cab being too hot on hot sunny days. I rarely close the sunshade. Of course my sunroof does have 20% tint film on it. My A/C in auto mode set to 68 degrees on the hot days keeps the cab very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread