5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pano sunroof

Mrjayd

Reaction score
I notice some trucks roof slide under the back window and the Rams slide over the top. Wouldn’t there be less wind resistance with the glass sliding underneath?

JayMann

Reaction score
there's a windscreen that comes up at the very front so I don't think it matters on which side the roof went, either way it's in the "bubble" so to speak. Kind of like how a housefly can fly around a car while you're doing 80 mph on the highway, it's in the "bubble" so it doesn't matter where it is.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wouldn’t there be less wind resistance with the glass sliding underneath?

Absolutely - however designing the interior/pano assembly around glass aerodynamics on a truck is a futile exercise. Though, would help with wind noise... which the windscreen does help a bit with.

Also if you notice, the glass opens to the 'best' wind resistance/sound position, and then can be opened further but it will cause some serious wind noise at highway speeds despite the windscreen... so someone was thinking a bit anyway when they designed it to stop early

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, now I'm curious why ram chose to go above not under.
Not sure, but I can say that I like my Ram Pano much more than my F-150. The seals on the F-150 get dirty and super tacky. This causes the roof glasses to bind, resulting in a rattle that cannot be eliminated. Numerous owners have had their roofs replaced, only to have the rattle return within a month or two. I literally had to vent my F-150 pano just to keep it from rattling daily.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Having had both, there is no wind noise reduction between the two styles. The F-150 has more buffeting with the roof open and the rear window closed. Near zero buffeting on my Ram with the roof open and rear window closed. I really enjoyed this during our sunny sub-zero days last week. Heat on, steering wheel heat on, seat heat on, sunroof open, sun shining in, -9 degree's...felt like a summer day inside the truck...and I'm not joking. Cruised down I-94 at 75mph, roof open, super comfortable.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it slid under the rear panel, it might or might not reduce wind noise but would reduce headroom...

That just reminded me - don't enter a parking garage, even in Entry/Exit, with the sunroof open!

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That just reminded me - don't enter a parking garage, even in Entry/Exit, with the sunroof open!

I think the sharkfin sits higher than the window... I can't check the truck at the moment though.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The roof uses the same mechanism the coupes with sunroofs use (no way to go under). My F150 went under and there is a significant loss of headroom in the rear. Both styles have the same wind noise/buffeting which isn't bad ati.

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Having had both, there is no wind noise reduction between the two styles. The F-150 has more buffeting with the roof open and the rear window closed. Near zero buffeting on my Ram with the roof open and rear window closed. I really enjoyed this during our sunny sub-zero days last week. Heat on, steering wheel heat on, seat heat on, sunroof open, sun shining in, -9 degree's...felt like a summer day inside the truck...and I'm not joking. Cruised down I-94 at 75mph, roof open, super comfortable.
With my down jacket, winter hat, and heated gloves :eek:) Just joking. I do the same but probably not that cold.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the sharkfin sits higher than the window... I can't check the truck at the moment though.

I'd happily pay for a new shark fin before the sunroof glass - and whatever else bent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/