5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted bumper chipping

Shmannion13

Reaction score
e2ed24ef57b8ac8d311cd8747a332cd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that red color .......I got my truck a clear bra and ceramic coated hoping to prevent this issue but I have a rebel so the skid plate and non body color bumper will get beat up.

cwoodward

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Big Horn sport package for 2 years. Yes a few chips put nothing that stuck out. I picked up a 2021 Laramie with the Sport Package 3 weeks ago. Within a week I noticed a rather large, bigger than 1/4 inch chip clear to white. I picked up a touchup pen and touched it up. I just noticed today 4 more chips on the bumper. I expect some chipping but this is crazy! Factory paint shouldn't chip this easy!

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just counted 62 chips on my painted bumper since June 2022. I expected a few but that’s ridiculous. I ordered a Dr ColorChip Road Rash kit but thinking I’m only fighting a losing battle. Obviously PPF when new would have been the best plan. Gonna ask my dealer about a warranty repaint but guessing that will only be a temporary fix and soon after it’ll look the same.

FC6D1DA9-260F-429C-97BE-4B0230BABF4B.jpeg
94D8D55B-FFD5-4E50-8B09-985F91CEEA87.jpeg
844C6A0B-59EC-45A1-A890-8619C76DCC99.jpeg

Av1

Reaction score
I had PPF put on the front of my truck two weeks after I bought it. I just know from experiance that painted metal bumpers chip easily. The steel will not give when a rock hits it at 70 MPH and the paint chips, plastic car bumpers will deflect and absorb the impact some but steel is not as forgiving.

This is good point.

The painted steel bumper was a concern of mine when I bought the Ram.

I also had PPF installed on the front within two weeks and while it may not stop all damage, it will stop a lot.

None of my vehicles that have PPF installed on the front have any paint damage.

Users who are viewing this thread