5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Painted bumper chipping

Daddio

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Ram Sport for less than 6 months and my front bumper has more than a dozen chips in the paint; most down to the white plastic or primer underneath the topcoat. Anybody else seeing lots of chipping?

I'm a paint chemist, and this should not be happening. Taking it into the dealer this week for some recalls and will be complaining.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought I was guaranteed of this happening so I put PPF on the entire front end two days after picking mine up. Not a chip so far. I've never seen a painted bumper not get chips and factored this extra cost (PPF) into my decision to order with painted bumpers.
This doesn't help you now but I don't think you'll get any sympathy from the dealer.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had PPF put on the front of my truck two weeks after I bought it. I just know from experiance that painted metal bumpers chip easily. The steel will not give when a rock hits it at 70 MPH and the paint chips, plastic car bumpers will deflect and absorb the impact some but steel is not as forgiving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Av1

Saints

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 Ram Sport for less than 6 months and my front bumper has more than a dozen chips in the paint; most down to the white plastic or primer underneath the topcoat. Anybody else seeing lots of chipping?

I'm a paint chemist, and this should not be happening. Taking it into the dealer this week for some recalls and will be complaining.
So being a paint chemist you think paint and clear coat are impervious to rock chips at highway speeds? Man I’d like to buy the paint that you’re selling, I’d make millions! Do us a favor and record a video of your service advisors face when you complain about this as I’d like to see his reaction...

Daddio

Reaction score
So being a paint chemist you think paint and clear coat are impervious to rock chips at highway speeds? Man I’d like to buy the paint that you’re selling, I’d make millions! Do us a favor and record a video of your service advisors face when you complain about this as I’d like to see his reaction...
Saints, you do realize that specific resins are better at chip resistance than others, dont you? And, that vehicle surfaces are sometimes repaired, using paint with additional catalyst and lower temperatures, after assembly? Batches of paint vary from standard.
And, maybe you can explain this: Why is the paint on all the other parts on the front of the truck that meet up with the bumper showing no chipping? Same color! I'd share more details, but have probably already lost you.
If your goal is simply to troll other posters, please don't respond back.

Saints

Reaction score
Saints, you do realize that specific resins are better at chip resistance than others, dont you? And, that vehicle surfaces are sometimes repaired, using paint with additional catalyst and lower temperatures, after assembly? Batches of paint vary from standard.
And, maybe you can explain this: Why is the paint on all the other parts on the front of the truck that meet up with the bumper showing no chipping? Same color! I'd share more details, but have probably already lost you.
Yes I do know as I recondition cars for a living for the past 20 years. Did you get that video?

19 streak

Reaction score
My truck has 12k miles on it and the bumper needs repainting badly. My 18 sport has 24k miles on it and only 2 chips in the front bumper. It's embarrassing when someone walks up to compliment my brand new truck and says "wow your bumper has taken a beating"

ant0064

Reaction score
When the 2019's came out I thought finally, I will have the perfect truck! And then with 800 miles on it I'm noticing the paint chips already. Not one paint chip on my 2014 Ram after 5 years of driving in Pennsylvania (garbage roads and snowy winters). My wife's Durango is the same way. Absolute crap paint. Sad that I have over 100k in 2 vehicles and they will look like they are 10 years old after a year or so.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Every car I've ever had with painted bumpers has done this, whether plastic or steel being the underlying material. I just get my handy touch up paint out after washing the truck, and take care of the 2-3 small chips I might find. I'm just happy the bumpers are steel (magnet will stick), because the plastic bumper on my Jeep felt so cheap and chipped all the same.

Ram19911

Reaction score
Hey everyone just got my truck in to repainted the full bumper will be covered by Chrysler Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had chips on mine, touched up paint and PPF solved that.

19 streak

Reaction score
Hey everyone just got my truck in to repainted the full bumper will be covered by Chrysler Canada

How long have you had your truck? Where in Canada are you?

drstein

Reaction score
'

" I'd share more details, but have probably already lost you. " Snarky huh ?? And you being a " paint chemist "

Ram19911

Reaction score
It will be 2 months since I’ve purchased my truck. There was about 30 + rock chips on the bumper. I presently live in Ontario. Chrysler said that it is not normal to have a lot of rock chips.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It will be 2 months since I’ve purchased my truck. There was about 30 + rock chips on the bumper. I presently live in Ontario. Chrysler said that it is not normal to have a lot of rock chips.

So since it's not normal, will they repaint

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Ram19911

Reaction score
I send my truck at fix auto to repainted my full bumper no cost

Ram19911

Reaction score
e2ed24ef57b8ac8d311cd8747a332cd0.jpg

Ram19911