5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint question

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
So today I went to clean the truck. I use a foam cannon and enjoy cleaning the truck. Today I noticed on the front driver side above the bumper a yellow spot. When I rubbed the spot gently with my hand it almost felt like a stain. No idea where it came from. I used a micro fiber towel and used some bug remover cleaner. It instantly turned dark. I feel like the stain had something to do with the paint and the darkness was the paint rubbing off. I have read on here about orange peel and other stuff, but havent found anything like this. The truck only has 1500 miles on it. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20191109_115444.jpg
    20191109_115444.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20191109_115430.jpg
    20191109_115430.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 75

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You mentioned foam cannon. Is that attached to a pressure washer? If so do you use the pressure washer without the cannon to rinse it? It def looks like something removed the paint in a circle pattern. A pressure washer with the wrong tip or used too closely can definitely do that but it could be something else also.

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
You mentioned foam cannon. Is that attached to a pressure washer? If so do you use the pressure washer without the cannon to rinse it? It def looks like something removed the paint in a circle pattern. A pressure washer with the wrong tip or used too closely can definitely do that but it could be something else also.
Definitely not the pressure washer. I use a 40 degree tip and dont stand anywhere close to the truck with the nozzle

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
I did manage to get the black off. Had to do with the bug remover I used. U used acetone and lightly rubbed the area. Black mark came off and the yellow spot got lighter.

Attachments

• 20191109_130818.jpg
    20191109_130818.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 36

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hard to see anything in the picture. Try cleaning and polishing more and if still not satisfied take it to the dealership for warranty claim. Maybe the paint got sprayed to thin there or was just defective. Either way make a claim ASAP, the longer you wait the more likely the dealership will resist your claim.

Derek_Rebel

Reaction score
I wonder if the yellowish stain wasn't Iron somehow, and the spot remover turned it from red rust to black iron oxide.

If it is Iron, make a paste with crushed Vitamin C tablets and let it sit on it for a few minutes, then rinse it off.
Thanks I'll definitely try that!

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like to use Turtle Wax brand White Polishing Paste. It is milder than rubbing compound yet stronger than a polishing wax. Over the years, I have found the Turtle Wax brand to work best. After using it to remove whatever I am trying to get off, I then apply a couple coats of wax.

Users who are viewing this thread