5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Protection Film

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to decide between getting the PPF on the factory order or getting it put on aftermarket right away when the truck arrives. The order will be done at Mark Dodge then shipped up to WI so there might be some debris from it traveling across country twice.

Has anyone received their truck with the PFF option from the factory? If so, what areas does it cover? This is what I've been able to find out so far: "it is on the front bumper but not the lower bumpers, and it runs along the edge of the bed rails and the edge of the wheel well edges" I don't see why they wouldn't put it on the lower part of the bumper (especially with painted bumpers)?

Otherwise, for aftermarket, any preferences for XPEL vs 3M? Relative cost comparison?

What areas are most problematic (obviously front bumper, inside of door handles, and front edge of rear wheel wells)? Does it look bad to get it on just the front edge of the hood and not the whole hood?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

U

User_3336

Do it afterwards when you can examine the truck FIRST. get the film applied LATER where you can examine it afterwards as well.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I would agree with aftermarket. For one, you are not financing the PPF when you go aftermarket. More importantly is that service department goons aren't screwing it up.

I don't tend to sweat small stuff. I have expressed my little concern for micro swirls from a carwash. I did however get the Sport package. In my area roads are always under construction because, God forbid they build them wide enough for future traffic instead of current traffic. A lot of loose gravel and sand gets kicked up and takes its toll on a painted front end. I did the ppf on the front aftermarket. They buffed it down and did a fine job. I can see where it works with small nicks in it. I imagine those would be chunks if it was paint taking the hit.

Striker01

Reaction score
I don't know what the Mopar film covers but the aftermarket kits are really nice, usually pre-cut to save labor costs, and protect the entire front end. The line on the hood is only noticeable when my car is dirty, I have to really look for when it's clean. I can live with the line, considering it will double the cost of the PPF package to have the entire hood done.

jamorton

Reaction score
I have the factory PPF and if I could do things over again I would choose aftermarket. Even though it’s brand new the factory somehow manages to leave swirls in the paint and the PPF just seals them in. Let someone do proper paint correction before the film is applied.

DebH

Reaction score
I dropped mine off today at an outside vendor for entire front end/ hood PPF and Ceramic coating entire truck. He's going to coat outside windows and interior. The Florida sun is just brutal. He had just done a 2022 2500 Limited Delmonico Red Mega Cab and it turned out AMAZING. It also was a Mark Dodge purchase. Shop is in Lake Mary, Florida.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think we will go aftermarket.

Thoughts on 3M vs XPEL?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Xpel is self healing thats what I currently have. I used 3m scotchguard in the past on my Charger back then it wasn’t self healing might be nowadays but it was just clearer so blended in better. Both are good options I would stick with whatever the installer recommends since they’re going to be the one installing the product and will yield the best results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BowDown

Reaction score
Think we will go aftermarket.

Thoughts on 3M vs XPEL?

I have Llumar Platinum 10 year, any of the higher end PPF's will be good, the installer choice is far more critical. Find a good shop and look at their work, ask people at car shows/cars and coffee meets for references.

Derek916

Reaction score
I have Llumar Platinum 10 year, any of the higher end PPF's will be good, the installer choice is far more critical. Find a good shop and look at their work, ask people at car shows/cars and coffee meets for references.
How long did the shop hold your truck for? One shop quoted me 2-3 days, and then I found a certified xpel installer who is mobile and claims they can do it in 3-4 hours. Seems like they have good reviews, but they don't do any of the prep work. They asked me to wash my car etc.

BowDown

Reaction score
How long did the shop hold your truck for? One shop quoted me 2-3 days, and then I found a certified xpel installer who is mobile and claims they can do it in 3-4 hours. Seems like they have good reviews, but they don't do any of the prep work. They asked me to wash my car etc.

I'd run from a mobile person and run fast from someone claiming 3-4 hours. Took them 2 days, I had the entire front, full hood, fenders, flares, door handle pockets, door edges and above the windshield done.
They told me the hood was the most difficult because its not flat and taller at the rear than at the front.

My shop also washed my truck and did an iron removal/decontamination before the install even though I had already done that when I did the paint correction.
A shop will also be indoors in a climate controlled area, you dont want trash under the film nor do you want someone sweating there donkey off in the hot sun, thats how mistakes happen

GoBuffs82

Reaction score
I dropped mine off today at an outside vendor for entire front end/ hood PPF and Ceramic coating entire truck. He's going to coat outside windows and interior. The Florida sun is just brutal. He had just done a 2022 2500 Limited Delmonico Red Mega Cab and it turned out AMAZING. It also was a Mark Dodge purchase. Shop is in Lake Mary, Florida.
Mind me asking how much $ ? I got quoted the same package pretty much (only 24" on the hood but i think i want the entire hood PPF) for about $4k

Bullitt2735

Reaction score
Xpel or suntek ppf. Their both great I will say though that on my viper with the hot side exit exhaust that some viper owners Xpel has yellowed and the suntek has not. But my xpel is going on year 5 and no signs of yellowing. ( I do have high flow cats that help with the heat though)

Twil6

Reaction score
I have the factory PPF and if I could do things over again I would choose aftermarket. Even though it’s brand new the factory somehow manages to leave swirls in the paint and the PPF just seals them in. Let someone do proper paint correction before the film is applied.
Old post, but what areas did they cover on the truck

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has heard of Kavaca PPF. Apparently it's a self-healing type PPF also. One of our local CeramicPro Elite detailers is hawking it along with the Kavaca window tint. I've never heard of that brand before.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had put on with factory 2023. I paid to for after Mkt on with 2021 Hellcat. the factory was by far cheaper cost and blows away the aftermarket for sure!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just had put on with factory 2023. I paid to for after Mkt on with 2021 Hellcat. the factory was by far cheaper cost and blows away the aftermarket for sure!
Factory is better?
I thought the factory doesn't even do the bumper???? What good is it, so unlikely to get dings on a hood that far up.

Users who are viewing this thread