5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Problems

Joeyc69

Reaction score
Whats up guys! I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie that I put 275 60 20 wildpeak at3s on my stock wheels a few months ago and they have been knocking all the paint off of my rear fender flares and bottom of my bed. (Rock chips) just wondering if anyone else Is having paint issue problems like I am and if Chrysler will pay to get this taken care of... I can see if I had aftermarket wheels that stick out far but that's not the case. Pics to come. Fyi I do have mudflaps on!! This is ridiculous in my eyes, I see tons of new Ford and Chevy trucks with lifts and offset wheels and they all have paint on their flares. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
Most likely not as it's not FCAs fault for rocks on the road. It sucks it really does but you shouldn't expect the manufacture to cover cases like this. But never hurts to ask just don't go it in to it expecting or demanding they have to.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen a few solutions here from other members. One thing is for sure, the clear coat is not hard enough or thick enough on these trucks. Some members have used paint protection coatings but after the damage is done thats not an option. If you do go to get it repaired ask the body shop to spray extra coats of clear coat with additional hardener in it so it will hold up properly. In the past I had a car with extremely weak paint on the hood and once they sprayed the extra clear coat with hardener on it it never got chipped again.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's another discussion on the subject that has been going on for months. Search is your friend.

Spooky8712

Reaction score
9F0DC1EB-5147-4B6C-9D52-76AA713E0884.jpeg
My Ram is 11 months old and the paint clear coat looks terrible. Anyone else experiencing this? I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. It’s happening in nearly every body panel.

Spooky8712

Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

• D51AA36E-0A31-4C99-9FC7-8386F1BBDEA3.jpeg
    D51AA36E-0A31-4C99-9FC7-8386F1BBDEA3.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 123
  • E1AE18A4-9741-4172-A33E-C384B94609B0.jpeg
    E1AE18A4-9741-4172-A33E-C384B94609B0.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 115

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whats up guys! I have a 2019 ram 1500 Laramie that I put 275 60 20 wildpeak at3s on my stock wheels a few months ago and they have been knocking all the paint off of my rear fender flares and bottom of my bed. (Rock chips) just wondering if anyone else Is having paint issue problems like I am and if Chrysler will pay to get this taken care of... I can see if I had aftermarket wheels that stick out far but that's not the case. Pics to come. Fyi I do have mudflaps on!! This is ridiculous in my eyes, I see tons of new Ford and Chevy trucks with lifts and offset wheels and they all have paint on their flares. Any insight is greatly appreciated!
I put XPEL PPF on my truck so i did not have this issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 59306
My Ram is 11 months old and the paint clear coat looks terrible. Anyone else experiencing this? I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow. It’s happening in nearly every body panel.

I apologize for the trouble, @Spooky8712. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Spooky8712

Reaction score
I apologize for the trouble, @Spooky8712. Please know that our team is just a private message away and we would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for further support as you address this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

Hi Mark,

I would appreciate help here. The dealer just told me that environmental exposure is the problem. That’s a ridiculous answer for an 11 month old truck that had aways had a coat of wax on it. My VIN is: 1C6RREHT3KN771459

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi Mark,

I would appreciate help here. The dealer just told me that environmental exposure is the problem. That’s a ridiculous answer for an 11 month old truck that had aways had a coat of wax on it. My VIN is: 1C6RREHT3KN771459

I just had a chance to send you a private message on this, please follow up with me there when you can!

Mark
RamCares

STR

Reaction score
Anything is possible, but it’s unlikely that it’ll be coved. I’ve own(ed) a lot of vehicles, and this is a popular topic on all forums. I tried to get GM to replace the rear brake ducts that were sand blasted within two weeks on a Z06 from the OEM sticky front tires. DENIED! Good luck (y)

Maverick

Reaction score
I too have paint issues that Ram will do nothing about saying environmental issues. The paint at the front bottom of my box is wearing away and the primer is seeping through. There is no rock chips or damage whatsoever. I have a loaded 2019 Red Pearl Ram 1500 Sport. I ordered this truck just after the DT launch. The local dealer agrees there is a paint issue and has escalated it but Ram refuses to address it. Ram tells me I have no further escalation route. I thought this would have been a slam dunk. I have a friend who works at a Ram dealer in another province and when we were together this summer he pointed the issue out and said that he seen this issue more than a few times. This is a luxury truck. I shouldn't be dealing with this but if I have to I at least should be backed by Ram. This is a warrantable item. By refusing to do so they are acknowledging our paint cannot withstand more than a few years in the 'environment'. I didn't buy a $72,000 truck to not drive it. I take good care of my trucks and I am the guy who you will find at the back of the parking lot because I don't want to park by anyone. This is my 4th truck. I did not have this issue on my far less expensive 4th Gens - a Big Horn and Laramie. I am certainly contemplating this may be my last. Issues will come up but the real test of a good truck company is how they address them when they do.

Last edited:

RamCares

Reaction score
I too have paint issues that Ram will do nothing about saying environmental issues. The paint at the front bottom of my box is wearing away and the primer is seeping through. There is no rock chips or damage whatsoever. I have a loaded 2019 Red Pearl Ram 1500 Sport. I ordered this truck just after the DT launch. The local dealer agrees there is a paint issue and has escalated it but Ram refuses to address it. Ram tells me I have no further escalation route. I thought this would have been a slam dunk. I have a friend who works at a Ram dealer in another province and when we were together this summer he pointed the issue out and said that he seen this issue more than a few times. This is a luxury truck. I shouldn't be dealing with this but if I have to I at least should be backed by Ram. This is a warrantable item. By refusing to do so they are acknowledging our paint cannot withstand more than a few years in the 'environment'. I didn't by a $72,000 truck to not drive it. I take good care of my trucks and I am the guy who you will find at the back of the parking lot because I don't want to park by anyone. This is my 4th truck. I did not have this issue on my far less expensive 4th Gens - a Big Horn and Laramie. I am certainly contemplating this may be my last. Issues will come up but the real test of a good truck company is how they address them when they do.
I am deeply sorry to hear of your situation, Maverick. Please do not hesitate to send over additional details via private message so that we may try and look into this further to best assist you at this point.

Mark
RamCares

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I live on gravel roads. And I frequently travel to off-road parks to ride ATVs where there is sand, dust, and grit in the air all weekend. And I have aftermarket wheels that stick out 3/4" farther than stock with mud tires. I have zero issues with the paint. Very first thing I did was install the OE style fender flares to protect the lips of the wheel wells, and rubber mud flaps to protect the rocker panels and area near the rear bumper. I don't have any issues.

Last month I did a concrete job and in a STUPID move I mixed the concrete at the rear of the truck so that I could just roll the bags of cement mix off the tailgate into the mixer. Ended up with splatter of concrete mix all over my tailgate and rear bumper that dried hard and solid and wasn't noticed until a few days later due to all the dust and dirt on the truck. I scraped it, no luck. Washed it with a sponge, no luck. Used chemicals, no luck. Finally tried vinegar and a brush and was able to get all the concrete splatter off the paint. Looking at the truck now, you can't even tell it ever happened.

In my opinion the paint is great on these trucks and the clearcoat is thick. I'm happy with it.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I too have paint issues that Ram will do nothing about saying environmental issues. The paint at the front bottom of my box is wearing away and the primer is seeping through. There is no rock chips or damage whatsoever. I have a loaded 2019 Red Pearl Ram 1500 Sport. I ordered this truck just after the DT launch. The local dealer agrees there is a paint issue and has escalated it but Ram refuses to address it. Ram tells me I have no further escalation route. I thought this would have been a slam dunk. I have a friend who works at a Ram dealer in another province and when we were together this summer he pointed the issue out and said that he seen this issue more than a few times. This is a luxury truck. I shouldn't be dealing with this but if I have to I at least should be backed by Ram. This is a warrantable item. By refusing to do so they are acknowledging our paint cannot withstand more than a few years in the 'environment'. I didn't by a $72,000 truck to not drive it. I take good care of my trucks and I am the guy who you will find at the back of the parking lot because I don't want to park by anyone. This is my 4th truck. I did not have this issue on my far less expensive 4th Gens - a Big Horn and Laramie. I am certainly contemplating this may be my last. Issues will come up but the real test of a good truck company is how they address them when they do.
Call the corporate HQ and speak to them directly 866-726-4636.

Users who are viewing this thread