5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Issues? I'm Curious

Littlejoe81

Reaction score
Some manufacturers require more TLC in the paint department than others, and when I worked as a auto mechanic around the early 2000's I seen this with Chrysler products, I always liked 90's Chrysler products growing up in Detroit like the Rams, neons, avenger, and stratus they had cool styling and comfortable cloth interiors; my Saturn is bulletproof and these new cars are not good, my last black sc saturn lasted me 19 years now I'm in my fourties had a midlife crisis and bought my first new vehicle a Ram. Even toyota has paint issues now as well. I visit and look at vehicles at the dealership often because I can't believe how cheap the quality is and the price these manufacturers are asking.

With my 2022 Ram at around 6,500 miles I use oxidation wax (turtle wax colorback) now discontinued; (best oxidation wax and surface rust remover); Kmart, True-value and Ace hardware use to sale this in the late 80's and 90's. I always look on ebay for this and search garage sales, lol. If you see light streaking in the paint like when license plate screws cause rust streaks down the plate and to the body but not to that extent, if left un touched it causes oxidation, then light surface rust, then rust. Chrysler paint is picky with the elements like bird poop if left untouched. Another thing.... I factory ordered my truck and did a extensive walk-around on it, I work on aircraft so everything catches my eye. Most people when they buy a car off the lot they assume the car is new and has no defects! Wrong!!! Customers, salesman, and porters ding, scratch, vehicles when moving them, looking around and such with belt buckles, close parking, door dings from other vehicles and kids. Most customers never do a detailed slow walk-around and miss these Items at the initial purchase and even manufacture paint defects and figure it got damaged at the grocery market from your trip from the dealer even though you parked far away from everyone.

One time we took my wife's Sienna for a oil change at toyota bc of synthetic oil and the coupon they had so it was cheaper to have them do it at the time. I always tell my wife to walk around the vehicle b4 she leaves, I did and she did not and the license plate was damaged by their carwash and when I told the service writer he looked at me crazy so I showed him the other 5 cars parked next to mine need to be fixed too and fix your carwash. A neighbor around the block a year ago bought a new Sienna, I seen his plate and dealership plate cover damaged from the car wash as well; and a month ago on the road I seen another new car with the lower right corner pulled and bent up, the dealer never listened to me when I said your car wash is damaging the vehicles and its 2 years now.

I didn't get any warranty's with my Ram, I do my own maintenance, I had to fight with Ram for 2 months in 2022 with around 1000 or so miles with one of my chrome wheels pitted badly bc my microfiber rag was catching on the wheel. Ram denied the claim multiple times saying outside influences and automatic car washes. I only hand wash my vehicles and I showed them my Automotive and Diesel Ase's and other vehicles and then they accepted the claim after 2 months.

They say bumper to bumper covers everything except the bumper, so why do they call it bumper to bumper?

My 90's cars still have the original factory paint, come on manufacturers you can do better in the paint department for what people are paying. Oh I forgot, if they built them to last like Saturn's no one would have to buy another vehicle.

Here's a link me visiting dealerships and others with paint issues...

Post in thread '2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling' 2022 Ram paint chipping and peeling

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231004-231715_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231004-231715_Chrome.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231005-001239_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-001239_Gallery.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231005-000644_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000644_Gallery.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-000750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000750_Gallery.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20231005-000835_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000835_Gallery.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-000854_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000854_Gallery.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-000934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000934_Gallery.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-000950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-000950_Gallery.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-001108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-001108_Gallery.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231005-004520_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231005-004520_Chrome.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One example is my passenger front speaker grate was damaged from the factory,
Why would you leave a dealer with a damaged vehicle?

That's on dealer, all vehicles that are delivered to dealer have a time frame to have inspected and claims made. I want to say 48 hours, not 100% on that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Why would you leave a dealer with a damaged vehicle?

That's on dealer, all vehicles that are delivered to dealer have a time frame to have inspected and claims made. I want to say 48 hours, not 100% on that.
I drove my truck home 1800 miles. You just said it was a 12 month bunper to bumper so why would it matter if I left the dealer to go home?
Where tf you getting this 48 hour period pulled form now?

That's my whole point it's not bumper to bumper, as those don't have exclusions. I don't think any auto make offers that kind of warranty anymore.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove my truck home 1800 miles. You just said it was a 12 month bunper to bumper so why would it matter if I left the dealer to go home?
Where tf you getting this 48 hour period pulled form now?

That's my whole point it's not bumper to bumper, as those don't have exclusions. I don't think any auto make offers that kind of warranty anymore.
If a vehicle is dropped off and it is "damaged", you know dented, broken trim, panels, and so on there is a window of time that the dealer has to file a claim with the manufacturer. I am sure a smart person like you can figure out why there is a window of time on "damage" claims.

What information have I provided that has not been correct? Have I not shared proven info to people, including you? I can remind people of your claim about the battery in the radio..... where is that battery info you were asked to provide?

As for your damaged part, that is up to you and your selling dealer. You have to understand why that is. The exclusions are in place due to claims trying to be pushed through, like your trim panel being damaged.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If a vehicle is dropped off and it is "damaged", you know dented, broken trim, panels, and so on there is a window of time that the dealer has to file a claim with the manufacturer. I am sure a smart person like you can figure out why there is a window of time on "damage" claims.

What information have I provided that has not been correct? Have I not shared proven info to people, including you? I can remind people of your claim about the battery in the radio..... where is that battery info you were asked to provide?

As for your damaged part, that is up to you and your selling dealer. You have to understand why that is. The exclusions are in place due to claims trying to be pushed through, like your trim panel being damaged.
It's not bumper to bumper is what i'm saying.
Selling dealer as nothing to do with it. Any dealer can submit warranty claims, and if it's bumper to bumper no problem unless they can prove the consumer caused the damage except it's expensive to take Ram to court for everything and if you read the warranty it's not listed as bumper to bumper anyways so they can just say it's not included.

The damage i'm talking about is not from me and it was from the factory like this, like i said it's under what ever paint or polish they use on the metal and feels silky smooth to the touch.
2023-10-05 11.41.07.jpg 2023-10-05 11.44.58.jpg

Another a different dealership refused to do anything about the damage from the truck getting transported either, I just got my own paint and slathered it up.
I believe it was damaged from some hooks or something on it exposing it to bare metal. You trying to say I did this too on a 5 day old truck?
1696520394256.jpeg

Oh also the battery. This one or another one?
Don't mind that illegal warranty void if removed sticker, another against the law thing while we are talking warranties I suppose.
1696520134886.jpeg

If it's the one inside the radio vs the uconnect unit, I didn't crack the radio open and just bypassed it's connectors with aftermarket wiring and hardware, didn't need to go inside for anything.
I think it's in this box itself with the wifi module not the radio's screen.
1696521098057.jpeg

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
TBM battery, wonder where that info came from.

We all know you have issues with your truck that you think should be covered from paint chips to damaged trim panels. The manufacturer has to put limits in to prevent people wanting their vehicles rebuilt from outside influences. A wheel alignment is only covered 12/12 unless a repair is made, I am sure you know why that would be. Brake pads/rotors 12/12, do you know why? I know its not a true bumper to bumper like most people want. There has to be limitations if not people would want their cut seats repaired, broken windshields replaced and so on.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
TBM battery, wonder where that info came from.

We all know you have issues with your truck that you think should be covered from paint chips to damaged trim panels. The manufacturer has to put limits in to prevent people wanting their vehicles rebuilt from outside influences. A wheel alignment is only covered 12/12 unless a repair is made, I am sure you know why that would be. Brake pads/rotors 12/12, do you know why? I know its not a true bumper to bumper like most people want. There has to be limitations if not people would want their cut seats repaired, broken windshields replaced and so on.
I know here the info come from and I though thanked you for sharing that :)
I know why it's not a bumper to bumper warranty, but it needs to be clear it's not which you are confirming.

People come in and say x or y isn't covered under their bumper to bumper warranty and need to be reminded that is not the warranty they have.
There are tons of other products that get that warranty treatment, but not autos anymore

I mean in this thread alone someone incorrectly labeled it a bumper to bumper warranty, which someone might read and then get angry when they find out it's not that.
"Plus, our 3-Year/36,000-Mile Basic Limited Warranty* provides bumper-to-bumper coverage of your vehicle, from the body to the electrical system."

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't just cover manufacture defects.
A part can break in your 3 year warranty that is not defect but still be covered under a basic or limited warranty but not everything and thus not bumper to bumper.
Also my truck did not come with any 12 month warranties.

One example is my passenger front speaker grate was damaged from the factory, it's damaged but under whatever coating or polish they use on it.
It was denied under a warranty claim within the first 30 days I had my truck They said the only way to fix\replace was to do the entire door which they refused to do. If it was bumper to bumper would of had no problem.

There is a reason if you look in ALL the documentation from Ram the words "bumper to bumper" will be nowhere to be seen.
You should have contacted Ram at that time. Back when I mechanic-ed at a Chrysler dealer, we replaced more expensive parts than a door panel, for cosmetic reasons. You go to a bad dealer.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You should have contacted Ram at that time. Back when I mechanic-ed at a Chrysler dealer, we replaced more expensive parts than a door panel, for cosmetic reasons. You go to a bad dealer.
All the dealers are bad around me, for most makes.
There's a good Kia and Infinity but they don't have American makes as part of their branches except Ford. And Kia is terrible, and Infinity is even more expensive then Ram.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you guys experienced any issues with your paint? This is my second Ram, a '22 1500 Laramie Granite Crystal Metallic Paint. My first was a '19 Ram Big Horn. The '19 had paint defects where the paint looked to be contaminated either during the paint process, and the paint/clear coat never adhered to the base primer and started to separate. That combined with another area seeming to have transmission/brake fluid contamination, eroding through the clear/paint and exposing the base primer. That was ultimately fixed by the dealer with no issue and I had no problems.

My '22 now has the same issue, more so the last, like transmission or brake fluid leaked on it, and causing the same damage that I had on my previous ram. Located on the sunroof to the right of the shark fin. When brought to the dealers, five to be exact, they said it wouldn't be covered. FCA was called multiple times having me drive all over the place for the dealers to tell me it wouldn't be covered. All but one dealer never even bothered to take any pictures for submission to the fca, and the fca closed the case before the pictures were even submitted.

The fca was called again and they said it was looked at by management and it wouldn't be covered because that's considered neglect. I know it's not tree sap like they say it is. I know its not from water like they said it is. Ultimately, I'm at a dead end and pretty pissed that a truck that's even a yr old yet has the same issue I had on my prior ram. I attached a few pictures below. But I'm just curious..

Has anyone had any issue with their paint?
Has anyone with this specific color had any problems?

It a very weird coincidence that I've had two rams with the same color and with the same problems. I appreciate the feedback
Zero.

6of36

Reaction score
All the dealers are bad around me, for most makes.
There's a good Kia and Infinity but they don't have American makes as part of their branches except Ford. And Kia is terrible, and Infinity is even more expensive then Ram.
That sucks. At one house, I have 7 Ram dealers within 10 or 12 miles, and at the second house, I have 2 within 15 miles. Only used 1 of the north dealers so far, but they were good too. But I know how it can be. The girlfriend used to drive a Ford, and the north house has 2 Ford dealers within 15 miles, but when she had problems with her car north, we took it to one of them, and they were terrible. We dropped it off no problem, they took it right away, because it was a safety item. After a couple days, we called to see what was happening. They said they hadn't looked at it yet, because one of their two mechanics was sick the last couple days. Then when they looked at it, they said it wasn't warranty. The top of the steering rack, way up behind the motor was broken, obviously before it was installed at the factory. They said it would be almost $1,500 to fix. We took it down state to another dealer. First dealer had reported customer damage to Ford. It took a couple weeks and multiple calls with Ford, with the down state dealer having to fight for us, backing us up, that it could not be damaged due to anything a driver could do, due to where the damage was. That dealer has since change ownership.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
It's not bumper to bumper is what i'm saying.
Selling dealer as nothing to do with it. Any dealer can submit warranty claims, and if it's bumper to bumper no problem unless they can prove the consumer caused the damage except it's expensive to take Ram to court for everything and if you read the warranty it's not listed as bumper to bumper anyways so they can just say it's not included.

The damage i'm talking about is not from me and it was from the factory like this, like i said it's under what ever paint or polish they use on the metal and feels silky smooth to the touch.
View attachment 168752 View attachment 168753

Another a different dealership refused to do anything about the damage from the truck getting transported either, I just got my own paint and slathered it up.
I believe it was damaged from some hooks or something on it exposing it to bare metal. You trying to say I did this too on a 5 day old truck?
View attachment 168751

Don't mind that illegal warranty void if removed sticker, another against the law thing while we are talking warranties I suppose.
View attachment 168750

If it's the one inside the radio vs the uconnect unit, I didn't crack the radio open and just bypassed it's connectors with aftermarket wiring and hardware, didn't need to go inside for anything.
I think it's in this box itself with the wifi module not the radio's screen.
View attachment 168754
yeah sounds like you have crap dealers around you man.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
How about runs in the paint! Who else? Waiting on dealer to get back on what they can do along with the tailgate out of alignment and drivers side footwell light non-existent (it’s there on the passenger side). 🤦‍♂️
IMG_5069.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpeg
    IMG_5068.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 6

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about runs in the paint! Who else? Waiting on dealer to get back on what they can do along with the tailgate out of alignment and drivers side footwell light non-existent (it’s there on the passenger side). 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 173732
Unfortunately all paint claims have to be submitted beforehand with pictures. It looks like it's in the clear coat only, not a big deal and an easy fix

SD Rebel

Reaction score
View attachment 173732

Not on my RAM, but a previous vehicle looked just like that. The detailer at the dealership was easily able to polish out the excess clear, super smooth when finished. The color coat is usually dull flat color, the runs are usually from the clear coat as Cbty2050 mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online