5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint Issues? I'm Curious

BobTheLaramie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have any of you guys experienced any issues with your paint? This is my second Ram, a '22 1500 Laramie Granite Crystal Metallic Paint. My first was a '19 Ram Big Horn. The '19 had paint defects where the paint looked to be contaminated either during the paint process, and the paint/clear coat never adhered to the base primer and started to separate. That combined with another area seeming to have transmission/brake fluid contamination, eroding through the clear/paint and exposing the base primer. That was ultimately fixed by the dealer with no issue and I had no problems.

My '22 now has the same issue, more so the last, like transmission or brake fluid leaked on it, and causing the same damage that I had on my previous ram. Located on the sunroof to the right of the shark fin. When brought to the dealers, five to be exact, they said it wouldn't be covered. FCA was called multiple times having me drive all over the place for the dealers to tell me it wouldn't be covered. All but one dealer never even bothered to take any pictures for submission to the fca, and the fca closed the case before the pictures were even submitted.

The fca was called again and they said it was looked at by management and it wouldn't be covered because that's considered neglect. I know it's not tree sap like they say it is. I know its not from water like they said it is. Ultimately, I'm at a dead end and pretty pissed that a truck that's even a yr old yet has the same issue I had on my prior ram. I attached a few pictures below. But I'm just curious..

Has anyone had any issue with their paint?
Has anyone with this specific color had any problems?

It a very weird coincidence that I've had two rams with the same color and with the same problems. I appreciate the feedback

Attachments

• tempImagedjSRam.png
    tempImagedjSRam.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • tempImageU5uwaw.png
    tempImageU5uwaw.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
  • tempImage7H1o2K.png
    tempImage7H1o2K.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • tempImageoMgDBE.png
    tempImageoMgDBE.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • tempImagetzMo59.png
    tempImagetzMo59.png
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • tempImagecFXzDy.png
    tempImagecFXzDy.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • tempImageep4QOT.png
    tempImageep4QOT.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • tempImageqoT3qF.png
    tempImageqoT3qF.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have what appears to be brake fluid or chemical contamination on the side of my truck. I didn't notice it when I did my walk around because you can only see it when kneeling down. When standing, it's completely invisible, so I noticed it when I first waxed it. I never took it in because I didn't notice it early on and it's not visible. A repaint of the door might look worse. In the second pic, you can tell it's not visible from most angles.

door_flaws1.jpg Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 8.10.08 PM.png

Last edited:

BobTheLaramie

Reaction score
I also have what appears to be brake fluid or chemical contamination on the side of my truck. I didn't notice it when I did my walk around because you can only see it when kneeling down. When standing, it's completely invisible, so I noticed it when I first waxed it. I never took it in because I didn't notice it early on and it's not visible. A repaint of the door might look worse. In the second pic, you can tell it's not visible from most angles.

View attachment 168225 View attachment 168226
Do you have any close pics?

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
i swear this site terrifies me every day. man that sucks and of course warranty doesn't cover it. that fact they say its "neglect" when its ONE drop (from what the pictures look like) is absolutely pathetic.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i swear this site terrifies me every day. man that sucks and of course warranty doesn't cover it. that fact they say its "neglect" when its ONE drop (from what the pictures look like) is absolutely pathetic.
Warranty will cover paint, but not on 2 year old vehicles. Probably 90 days max.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Warranty will cover paint, but not on 2 year old vehicles. Probably 90 days max.
wow did not know that. figure that was part of the 3 year bumper to bumper, this is good to know.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
wow did not know that. figure that was part of the 3 year bumper to bumper, this is good to know.
Paint coverage is tricky, 3/36 coverage. Yet every claim has to go through "digital imaging" process. That involves pictures and dealer input. By the pictures posted here they look like an outside influence/source caused it. It's up to the submitting dealer to make notes if they think it's a factory issue. Most paint claims get denied. If that was there and caught on the PDI, it could have been fixed.

If the OP has a good working relationship with a dealer they could go to bat for him and "goodwill" the repair.

BobTheLaramie

Reaction score
Nah I get that. But the truck will turn a yr from delivery in 6 days. Will 5300 miles on the clock. It was a late '22 manufacture. They're trying to make it seem as if I was neglectful which I wasn't

BobTheLaramie

Reaction score
Paint coverage is tricky, 3/36 coverage. Yet every claim has to go through "digital imaging" process. That involves pictures and dealer input. By the pictures posted here they look like an outside influence/source caused it. It's up to the submitting dealer to make notes if they think it's a factory issue. Most paint claims get denied. If that was there and caught on the PDI, it could have been fixed.

If the OP has a good working relationship with a dealer they could go to bat for him and "goodwill" the repair.
Even with that they don't want to cover the repair because it's an expensive repair with no gain for them. I would understand if it was something I did or any outside influence. But there's no way this is a coincidence with with two Rams with the same exact issue. Either that or I'm just very unlucky.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2. W HAT I S COVERED U NDER FCA
US LLC'S WARRANTIES
2.1 BASIC LIMITED WARRANTY
A. WHO IS COVERED
You are covered by the Basic Limited Warranty if you are a purchaser for
use of the vehicle.
B. WHAT IS COVERED
The Basic Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed
to repair any item on your vehicle when it left the manufacturing plant
that is defective in material, workmanship or factory preparation. There is
no list of covered parts since the only exceptions are the parts listed in
“section 2.1 C”. These warranty repairs or adjustments, including all
parts and labor connected with them, will be made by an authorized
dealer at no charge, using new or remanufactured parts.
C. ITEMS COVERED BY OTHER WARRANTIES
The following are covered by separate warranties offered by their manu-
facturers. They are not covered by the Basic Limited Warranty:
• Tires
• Headphones
• Items added or changed after your vehicle left the manufacturing
plant, such as accessories or protection products, or items changed
because of customization or van conversion

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What manufacturer defects are not covered in that time frame I stated?
A "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't just cover manufacture defects.
A part can break in your 3 year warranty that is not defect but still be covered under a basic or limited warranty but not everything and thus not bumper to bumper.
Also my truck did not come with any 12 month warranties.

One example is my passenger front speaker grate was damaged from the factory, it's damaged but under whatever coating or polish they use on it.
It was denied under a warranty claim within the first 30 days I had my truck They said the only way to fix\replace was to do the entire door which they refused to do. If it was bumper to bumper would of had no problem.

There is a reason if you look in ALL the documentation from Ram the words "bumper to bumper" will be nowhere to be seen.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
A "bumper to bumper" warranty doesn't just cover manufacture defects.
A part can break in your 3 year warranty that is not defect but still be covered under a basic or limited warranty but not everything and thus not bumper to bumper.
Also my truck did not come with any 12 month warranties.

One example is my passenger front speaker grate was damaged from the factory, it's damaged but under whatever coating or polish they use on it.
It was denied under a warranty claim within the first 30 days I had my truck They said the only way to fix\replace was to do the entire door which they refused to do. If it was bumper to bumper would of had no problem.

There is a reason if you look in ALL the documentation from Ram the words "bumper to bumper" will be nowhere to be seen.
"Plus, our 3-Year/36,000-Mile Basic Limited Warranty* provides bumper-to-bumper coverage of your vehicle, from the body to the electrical system."
"Basic limited warranty coverage (bumper-to-bumper) is three years or 36,000 miles. The warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any item on the vehicle when it leaves the factory that ends up being defective in material, workmanship or factory preparation."
well thats that for you.

also sounds like dealer got you if it was from factory like you said. should have gotten that replaced.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
"Plus, our 3-Year/36,000-Mile Basic Limited Warranty* provides bumper-to-bumper coverage of your vehicle, from the body to the electrical system."
"Basic limited warranty coverage (bumper-to-bumper) is three years or 36,000 miles. The warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair any item on the vehicle when it leaves the factory that ends up being defective in material, workmanship or factory preparation."
well thats that for you.

also sounds like dealer got you if it was from factory like you said. should have gotten that replaced.
Not sure where you are getting your info from.
That is not from the Ram warranty that I have.

I will provide pictures of Ram's warranty documentation right from their website since it appears you are getting some other crap off of Google or another manufacturer.

1696480859277.png

Users who are viewing this thread