5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

p2273 p2271 after header install

Jhncrwfrd

Reaction score
I removed my cracked exhaust manifolds and replaced with shorty headers. Now I get CEL with p2273 p2271 o2 bank 1&2 sensor 2 "stuck rich". Has anyone experienced this?

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
I removed my cracked exhaust manifolds and replaced with shorty headers. Now I get CEL with p2273 p2271 o2 bank 1&2 sensor 2 "stuck rich". Has anyone experienced this?
Just curious, how many miles did your truck have when the manifolds cracked? Also, hope you resolve your issue soon.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Maybe put some O2 extender tubes and see what that does.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Aren't those the rear O2 sensors (after cat)? If so, yeah, your headers caused that. You'll need to turn them off with a tune

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Did you tune the truck for the shorty headers?
Looks like expected errors to me if you didn't.
Aren't those the rear O2 sensors (after cat)? If so, yeah, your headers caused that. You'll need to turn them off with a tune
Shorty headers don't need to be tuned for, and they keep the stock catalytic converters. Sounds to me like the sensors might be unplugged

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Explain why the downstream O2 sensors need to be turned off due to shorty headers.

The downstream is stuck/biased rich, usually an O2 sensor not switching, they do get "lazy" with age. Or a possible exhaust leak could set it, not likely.

Jhncrwfrd

Reaction score
I have the truck tuned through livernois. They won't turn off rear o2's. The truck also doesn't have any catalytic converters anymore. Local muffler shop made me a catless y pipe. The o2's are installed though.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the truck tuned through livernois. They won't turn off rear o2's. The truck also doesn't have any catalytic converters anymore. Local muffler shop made me a catless y pipe. The o2's are installed though.
This is information that should have been included in original post of you actually wanted correct responses.

Jhncrwfrd

Reaction score
Just curious, how many miles did your truck have when the manifolds cracked? Also, hope you resolve your issue soon.
The truck has 58k on it now. That's the second set. No broken bolts either time. Both manifolds had a large crack in the center on this swap out.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You will continue to get those codes since you have no cats. Since you have new y-pipe, I'd verify they got plugged back in.

Also, what are your fuel trims? If you are tuned, hopefully you are sending data logs to verify the tune.

Jhncrwfrd

Reaction score
Well. There's your problem.
Sensor 1 moderates air/fuel ratio and Sensor 2 compares with Sensor 1 to check the efficiency of the converter.
Sensor 2 is not seeing any converter function.

Steve
I understand what they do. Why those codes specifically? Everything I read says you get the 0420 cat efficiency code.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
But why 2271 and 2273? Instead of the normal cat efficiency codes?
Those are Sensor Stuck rich codes. Both banks. Don't know what you mean by "normal cat efficiency codes" but both sensors are reading rich.
Something you did altered the characteristics of your previous "tune" and now affects both sensors.

Steve

Jhncrwfrd

Reaction score
You will continue to get those codes since you have no cats. Since you have new y-pipe, I'd verify they got plugged back in.

Also, what are your fuel trims? If you are tuned, hopefully you are sending data logs to verify the tune.
They are plugged in. I reinstalled them and have looked at them, seeing them function. They both stay around .7v. I have been logging, I don't have them with me currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/