5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P0300A and P0340- Now phaser and camshaft replacement!!

Rave55

Reaction score
First Ram- bought used with 75,000 kms. Took it into dealer at 85K to look at a shuddering when going uphill under load and to check for ticking noise. Dealer couldn't find anything but updated the TCM and the shuddering issue seemed to go away. They said they didn't hear ticking. Reading the forum, I've read where some hear ticking when warm but not on cold start.
Truck now has 120K kms (74,500 miles)- Last week experienced some hesitation and lag and then CEL comes on. Used my OBD scanner and came back P0300A- "Camshaft sensor". Called dealer and told me I could keep driving until my appointment in 4 days. CEL goes off and then flashing CEL comes on 3 days later. OBD has new code P0340- "Multiple misfires"
Dealer now says it's the intake phaser and camshaft and bad lifters. Now I know I'm over warranty by 20,000 kms but I believe this same issue was present and responsible when the original shuddering occurred. $4K to fix. @RamCares there's a known star case opened for the sticking phaser- S1618000040. This should be covered regardless. 120,000 kms is not a lot on these trucks. Wondering if the phaser issue is because of a loose oil gallery bolt behind the cam phasers causing low oil pressure to the phaser itself. Anyone else have phaser issues??
So my question is- now that they have the engine all torn apart should i replace the other cam shaft on bank A, and timing chain and the infamous oil cooler while they're there? I hear conflicting things about the the timing chain- Some say change at 120K miles, others say it never needs changing....
Also have the brake moan but says its only covered up to 2019 models.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/