5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Owner to Be

Rossum

Reaction score
I've searched inventory at a zillion dealers and nobody has the truck I want, or anything even close. I guess I'll be ordering one. :)

Here is my ideal build. Comments welcome.

I'm aware of possible Rambox issues. I'm aware what I'm getting myself into with the 3.0 diesel. I've driven VW Touaregs with 3.0 turbo diesels since 2009. My wife and I run back and forth between PA and FL (with a stop that's way off the beaten path in the Blue Ridge Mountains) quite regularly. Highway mileage and fuel range at 80 mph is important, and I don't expect to ever tow more than 6000-7000 lbs, which would be "local" in any case (roughly 50 miles at most), hence the 3.21 gears. Truck's gotta be white because Florida. It's gotta have Adaptive Cruise because that's the cat's meow on long highway drives.

I'm a bit torn on possibly adding air suspension, in which case a Limited might make more sense, since it's standard. But I know from experience that air suspension can (literally) let you down and leave you close to stranded.

nburd

Reaction score

I almost bought from these folks (they had the best discount and price out the door), but I could not get close enough with the free shipping to avoid my companies 2 week mandatory vacation. You can add skid plates if needed.

Rossum

Reaction score
Thanks. A friend of mine in "the trade" also recommended Kernersville and I've looked at their inventory. The darker exterior colors and 22" rims are a deal breaker for me.

Rossum

Reaction score
So I went to a local dealer today and drove two trucks:

First: a Limited diesel, obviously with air suspension, and 22" rims. My reaction to that one is that the suspension felt quite "rubbery", making it difficult to judge what the wheels and tires were actually doing.

Second: a Laramie Hemi with steel springs and 20" rims. Every diesel they had on their lot had air, so it wasn't 100% fair comparison, but... I liked the steel suspension better. The ride quality was totally fine and acceptable, with without the rubbery, detached feeling that the air suspension had.

So I ordered a truck. The specs are darn close to what I linked above. Biggest difference: I nixed the 12" screen. The 8.4" screen in the Laramie with more conventional climate controls is just fine for my needs. In fact, I actually preferred the more conventional HVAC controls.

2021 pricing seems to be essentially unchanged from the 2020 pricing still on the RamTrucks.com website. There's a $50 difference somewhere that I haven't identified, but I'm not going to argue over $50 either. There's some new heads-up display option that I do not need or want.

They discounted MSRP by $4650, and will provide all rebates or other incentives at the time of delivery. That's always a problem with ordering; you don't really know the final price a couple of months in advance.

They're telling me 8 weeks, give or take.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats, I picked up my Big Horn Ecodiesel last week and am loving it so far. Takes some getting used to coming from the Hemi, it’s very different but it’s smooth and quiet

Users who are viewing this thread