5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overlanding in a Longhorn

yosh bagosh

Reaction score
I’m planning on ordering a Longhorn instead of a Rebel because I like the interior more. I was going to put Carli suspension and removing the air dam. Am I missing anything by not going with the Rebel?

jent

Reaction score
Exterior style for one ;)

But seriously this is what I can think of:
One notable loss would be the larger wheels of the longhorn. The smallest wheels you can get are 20in, and may be 22 depending on the package.

I am pretty sure the bumpers on the longhorn are not as robust either, on the rebel they are pretty decently tough and thick metal.

The biggest loss IMO would be that you can only get a clutch based 4x4 system, where the rebel offers a mechanical gear engagement.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you get the off road group you are not missing anything.

The auto4wd transfer case is not at stout as the part time standard on the Rebel.

Of course the Rebel has a better front bumper.

If you do not get the off road group you will be missing the eLocker and all terrain tires. And the little bit of lift.

yosh bagosh

Reaction score
Exterior style for one ;)

But seriously this is what I can think of:
One notable loss would be the larger wheels of the longhorn. The smallest wheels you can get are 20in, and may be 22 depending on the package.

I am pretty sure the bumpers on the longhorn are not as robust either, on the rebel they are pretty decently tough and thick metal.

The biggest loss IMO would be that you can only get a clutch based 4x4 system, where the rebel offers a mechanical gear engagement.
I agree, Rebel looks better outside, but I can’t get ventilated seat in front cuz I want the ecodiesel. No rear reclining, vented/heated seats for kids. Loaded with options the Longhorn is only a $1-2k more.

I was going to get method 18 and 35” tires. Which from this video seems like it will fit.

yosh bagosh

Reaction score
If you get the off road group you are not missing anything.

The auto4wd transfer case is not at stout as the part time standard on the Rebel.

Of course the Rebel has a better front bumper.

If you do not get the off road group you will be missing the eLocker and all terrain tires. And the little bit of lift.
Thanks, I was going to get the ORG, but didn’t know lockers were different.

jent

Reaction score
FWIW, lifting the ecodiesel will incur worse axle angles than lifting the hemi. Being wider causes the axle's to be shorter and thus lifting incurs a greater angle increase. So far I am choosing to wait on a lift for my ED.

didn’t know lockers were different.
Lockers are the same, it's the 4x4 transfer case that is different. Longhorn will have clutches to put energy to the front wheels, while the Rebel will be engaged with gears. The clutch based systems have come a long ways but they may slip and not provide full power to the front wheels. They also will get hotter on longer trips, and if too hot will function even worse.

What you gain with the clutch system is better slick road performance. The system in the longhorn is unquestionably better for on road performance, but the part time system in the rebel can provide stronger off road performance.

yosh bagosh

Reaction score
FWIW, lifting the ecodiesel will incur worse axle angles than lifting the hemi. Being wider causes the axle's to be shorter and thus lifting incurs a greater angle increase. So far I am choosing to wait on a lift for my ED.

Lockers are the same, it's the 4x4 transfer case that is different. Longhorn will have clutches to put energy to the front wheels, while the Rebel will be engaged with gears. The clutch based systems have come a long ways but they may slip and not provide full power to the front wheels. They also will get hotter on longer trips, and if too hot will function even worse.

What you gain with the clutch system is better slick road performance. The system in the longhorn is unquestionably better for on road performance, but the part time system in the rebel can provide stronger off road performance.
Is the electronic shift on demand transfer case option for Rebel basically the clutch system?

Users who are viewing this thread