5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating While Towing in Mountains

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Something to check is actual temps vs what the truck is telling you. There are infrared thermometers or internal thermometers that you can use to verify.

H3DX

Reaction score
OK, I have one. Where is best place to point it?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would also try to measure it at the block somewhere if possible, it seems his coolant is high-ish but comes down in 20 seconds (according to his first post), so the engine oil appears to be the biggest issue from what I can see.

blakei

Reaction score
Here are some temps from a recent tow on I70 and I15 westbound through Colorado, Utah, and Nevada for reference. Our Jayco 28BHS TT was about 8200 lbs loaded on this trip.

Ambient / Coolant / Transmission / Oil (all temps in F)
90 / 221 / 197 / 264 (just crested slight grade)
85 / 226 / 201 / 264 (4%? grade)
108 / 215 / 188 / 239 (flat)
112 / 215 / 195 / 248 (4%? grade)
108 / 212 / 188 / 248 (flat)
98 / 224 / 203 / 271 (4%? grade)
73 / 208 / 183 / 240 (flat; coastal CA for this low ambient!)
108 / 237 / 208 / 275 (diff trip on CA 168, ~7% grade)

At this point, I basically don't worry about temps unless it's very hot (100F+) and then I watch the oil temp and slow down on grades if it is headed over 270F -- like that last one, where I just cruised up the last couple of miles at 45MPH instead of trying to maintain 55-60MPH.

If people are REALLY interested it's possible to use a data logger in the OBDII port to record all the data points during a trip.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would be a good "yellow light" number for coolant, transmission, and oil temps? A level that tells me to start taking it easier before I hit "red."

I'm in an Ecodiesel.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would be a good "yellow light" number for coolant, transmission, and oil temps? A level that tells me to start taking it easier before I hit "red."

I'm in an Ecodiesel.
Depends on what the design limits of the truck are, every model is different. The truck will start yelling at you long before you can cause damage (temperature-wise at least).

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Depends on what the design limits of the truck are, every model is different. The truck will start yelling at you long before you can cause damage (temperature-wise at least).
OK. I planned to leave the 7" display on the screen that shows the different operating temps and wanted to know when I was approaching high temps for each item.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK. I planned to leave the 7" display on the screen that shows the different operating temps and wanted to know when I was approaching high temps for each item.
I do not know the trans and oil temp limits in the truck, but the coolant temp warning will come on as you're nearing 250. I'd back off if it hit 240 personally and you're not likely to hit that unless you're towing near the limits of the truck on some really steep grades on a very hot day. The OP here clearly has something wrong with his vehicle.

dannymcd

Reaction score
I've got a 5th gen 2019 with the highway diff not the max tow, I was pulling a 7600# trailer thru WV, on a 2-3mi stretch at 6-8% I got to 220-180-275 as well. The coolant and trans went up maybe 10-20° compared to driving without any load but that oil temp, normally around 227, and 240 when towing hit that 275 mark as well. I use Amsoil HD oil so I'm not too concerned about the oil burning being at that temperature for 4mins before going back down. I was looking for a simple cooler addition as a fix but like many things I'm finding there's not alot of wrencher's on this forum so I think I'm going to figure it out on my own and do a write up.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finding there's not alot of wrencher's on this forum so I think I'm going to figure it out on my own and do a write up.
One of the users called me a tool earlier today - does that count?

dannymcd

Reaction score
One of the users called me a tool earlier today - does that count?
It depends on what tool you are, if you're a 10mm socket you're always lost, haha. Personally I see myself as I'm an angle grinder, the cheapest power tool in the box, always the last one to be used and i'll do some real damage to your paint if you cut me off on the highway.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It depends on what tool you are, if you're a 10mm socket you're always lost, haha. Personally I see myself as I'm an angle grinder, the cheapest power tool in the box, always the last one to be used and i'll do some real damage to your paint if you cut me off on the highway.

I'm more of a belt sander type of guy; not the sharpest tool in the shed, and I'll wear you down with my abrasive stupidity!

Users who are viewing this thread