5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheating 8.4" screen - Sirius XM disabled - Alternator showing 12.8v

dinn2win

Reaction score
Yesterday my Sirius XM stopped working (a brief message popped up but never could replicate it afterwards) and the Sirius XM icon on my screen was grayed out on the screen.- so we switched to listening to the standard radio instead. Then later we noticed the 8.4" screen was extremely hot/overheating. I then did a quick review of the vehicle temps, etc. while I was driving and my battery voltage was only 12.8 (normally it's 14.0). Once we returned home, I shut off my truck and an hour later went to start it. The screen was normal, the Siriux XM featured worked fine and my alternator was back to a 14.0v charge. Has anyone else seen something similar?
2021 Ram 1500 Limited - 29k miles

Mike

escapefjrtist

Reaction score
Interested in responses that come in. My '22 Bighorn just began some funny voltage behavior and of course I'm 1500 miles from home! Had battery and alternator "tested" and both seem to be good.

~G

stevecon

Reaction score
I had a similar experience a week ago Sunday. I took delivery of my truck a few days prior (a 2021 1500) and all seemed fine. On Sunday afternoon, we took a 30 minute ride on the highway to the beach. Walked around a bit and returned to the truck and sat in it listening to he radio for around 10 minutes. I turned the key to start and it turned over once or twice and stopped. AAA came out to jump start it and I was on my way. When I got near my home, I went to an Advanced Auto for battery testing. The battery gauge had shown just over 13 V and falling during ride home. The news about the battery wasn't great so I bought a new battery as the one in the truck was 3+ years old. I had a few quick trips that evening but kept my eye on the battery gauge. At the end of the ride for the night, it was 12.7V. I was concerned that the charging system wasn't working properly. The next morning, it started and showed 14+ volts. I spoke with the service manager at the RAM dealer and he said that if the battery was new, it was "normal". It has been starting without issue since and the battery meter is showing 13 - 14 volts consistently now.

dinn2win

Reaction score
I brought my truck into the dealer as it's still under warranty. They did not find any error codes related to the overheated 8.4" screen (apparently, if it gets TOO hot an error code will be registered) but they did update the software, as there is a software update specifically for an error where the XM radio icon is "grayed out" and not available. They also said that the low voltage reading was "likely" due to the fact I was on a longer road trip, and it did not need the extra voltage. I'm skeptical with that response but will update again if this becomes a recurring issue.

Users who are viewing this thread