5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

over zealous back up sensors

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I disabled it before I even drove off the lot, at the sales person's advice. So I've never had it happen to me. She told me it would be an issue and I shouldn't use it. Which is fine with me since I didn't want any nanny features I could avoid. I've been driving for over 40 years, and the only time I ever backed into anything was when I was still 14 and learning how to drive on the family farm. With the back-up sensors and camera, why on earth would I need my truck to apply the brakes for me.

tpetty

Reaction score
How do you "flash" to the latest software version? Is that something that the truck will download automatically?

Smerberj

Reaction score
I shut off the auto braking because it scared the living **** out of me after doing it twice with nothing even remotely close to the bumper....

YnotGlenbo

Reaction score
I've experienced this a few times already in the month and a half I've had my truck! Scared the crap out of me with the abrupt stop! It seems to happen mostly when I switch from drive to reverse when I'm backing into my driveway. It also did it once in the middle of backing down my driveway. Super frustrating! Think I'm going to just turn it off!

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Has anyone had a issue when backing up and the truck just slams on the brakes and chimes stop only to have nothing behind you ??

Im almost certain im gonna have to bring the truck in to have them calibrated or flash update
I turned mine off. It still sounds an alarm and you have a camera, that is enough for me.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I have a bush right next to my garage and it would never let me backup all the way to the edge of the garage so I just turned the auto brake off because its way too sensative and abrupt when it activates.

zman

Reaction score
Thanks guys , i didnt know you could shut it off
Super annoying but i hop the new software update fixes it

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel like the auto high beams are the same way. It feels like I’m at a disco as I drive down the highway and flash every road sign.

It’s a shame all of these costly tech features get disabled by us users, but I truly find them more a PITA than a useful benefit due to their flaws.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I feel like the auto high beams are the same way. It feels like I’m at a disco as I drive down the highway and flash every road sign.

It’s a shame all of these costly tech features get disabled by us users, but I truly find them more a PITA than a useful benefit due to their flaws.
My auto high beams work perfect. They did on my 2013 as wel. Really like this feature

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had a issue when backing up and the truck just slams on the brakes and chimes stop only to have nothing behind you ??

Im almost certain im gonna have to bring the truck in to have them calibrated or flash update
Yep there's a toggle to turn them off. A blade of grass will slam the brakes and scare the hell out of you.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Same as everyone else. I took back to dealer and had it reflashed to make less sensitive. Same results so I toggle it off

GeoJoe

Reaction score
Guys, I had the same issue. Drove me bonkers backing up my driveway. Happy to report that the latest OTA update fixed this issue for me. Been two week and it hasn’t slammed the brakes once, but it does when I approach the garage wall (as it should).

View attachment 52256
How do you get the updates? Mine has slammed on the brakes several times with nothing behind me and nearly caused me to have a heart attack each time.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
How do you get the updates? Mine has slammed on the brakes several times with nothing behind me and nearly caused me to have a heart attack each time.
They are OTA (over the air). No one really knows how they are schedule for deployment. They just show.
Pretty simple process (see screenshot).

Like I mentioned earlier, mine is much better than before on the auto braking. It has done it twice since the update, but before it would do it almost daily while backing up my sloped driveway.

6E879DDC-D1F1-47D6-9D54-7DEDC8E9CA2E.jpeg

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Mine did it once pulling forward. Of course I looked down when it happened and I thought someone walked in front of me. Glad I didn’t get rear ended because nothing was in front of me and they would have thought I was brake checking.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

TexasDrone

Reaction score
My cousin in Nebraska said when he was going about 75 mph and approached this walkway above the interstate his Beeped and locked it up to avoid the bridge or the bridge shadow on the interstate. He’s also a volunteer firefighter and responds to accidents and had him very concerned about that feature. He saw vehicle pileups at that location in the future.
38f66fc1e1fa19484256bc9114b74ed2.jpg

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn Megacab
2019 OpenRange 3X427BHS

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that they can be over-zealous, but if once in the life of the truck it prevents me from backing over an old dog or small child I will put up with the occasional false alert.

Users who are viewing this thread