5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Temperature Sensor

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the outside temperature sensor is located, and is anybody experiencing a significant difference in what the truck shows vs the actual temperature?

Mine is typically showing 126+ when I hop in after work (around 5:00PM) and the outside temps are actually 'only' in the 102-106 range. It also takes awhile (like 3-4 miles of driving) to settle back down to anything close to the real outside air temperature, usually within 5 degrees, but still always high.

Or is this a case of "It's not a bug... it's a feature?"

Joe_Lake

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. My average after work is 133.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s a feature. My ram is the worst vehicle I’ve had with inaccurate temps if it’s left out in the sun.

I believe it’s in the windshield where your rear view mirror is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
that's how the outside temp sensor works. When you truck has been sitting in the sun outside all day long, the sensor is heat soaked, it has been sitting under the hot sun all day long. When you start driving and cool air hits the sensor, its starts to gradually reduce in temp, doesn't happen right away. No different than how your ac operates, takes a few minutes before the interior gets cold.

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
The temperature sensor is on the bottom of the driver side-view mirror, near the 360 camera. The whole mirror housing gets heat soaked when the sun is beating directly on it. This awful location is why our temps read so high and inaccurately. Most vehicles I’ve had in the past have it mounted in the grill, in front of the radiator, which is shaded from the sun.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I agree it is not the best place for it but every vehicle I have had reads high when I first get in if it has been sitting in the sun. Now how fast it adjust and reads accurate is another thing. The location on the bottom of the drivers rear view mirror is terrible as said the whole thing gets heat soaked. that black plastic just heats it up. On another not I survived a lot of years not knowing the outside temp via my car. I think we are getting way too spoiled with all the gadgets and tech.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
that's how the outside temp sensor works. When you truck has been sitting in the sun outside all day long, the sensor is heat soaked, it has been sitting under the hot sun all day long. When you start driving and cool air hits the sensor, its starts to gradually reduce in temp, doesn't happen right away. No different than how your ac operates, takes a few minutes before the interior gets cold.

Except when other manufactures realized this and they move it elsewhere so it doesn’t get heat soaked as bad.

Idk why ram decided to put it there.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
on advice of someone else around here, I pulled mine out, and disconnected it for a minute, then reinstalled. Helped a little, I guess it kind of resets itself. Honestly though, I don't really care if it's accurate. I know if it's hot or cold out.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Worst outside temp gauge I've ever had on a vehicle.
It's only accurate at night or super cloudy days.
Putting a temp sensor inside a closed housing that the sun heats up is just utterly, utterly dumb.
It needs to be somewhere near the front of the vehicle and exposed so that the minute you start moving it changes.

gpbst3

Reaction score
I have to agree its the worst sensor ever. I never had temp swings like this with any other vehicle.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm half tempted to see if I could relocate it inside the cabin. Would be interesting to see if it ever lines up with my HVAC setpoint.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I'm half tempted to see if I could relocate it inside the cabin. Would be interesting to see if it ever lines up with my HVAC setpoint.
Even if it just told you the cabin temperature it would be doing more than it is now :rolleyes:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree it is not the best place for it but every vehicle I have had reads high when I first get in if it has been sitting in the sun. Now how fast it adjust and reads accurate is another thing. The location on the bottom of the drivers rear view mirror is terrible as said the whole thing gets heat soaked. that black plastic just heats it up. On another not I survived a lot of years not knowing the outside temp via my car. I think we are getting way too spoiled with all the gadgets and tech.
Except when other manufactures realized this and they move it elsewhere so it doesn’t get heat soaked as bad.

Idk why ram decided to put it there.

My wife's 2020 Traverse is in mirror, my 2002 Volvo is in the mirror. The sensor hangs down outside the mirror and airflow when driving means it should match up with outside temp. Depending on what other source you are using for outside air temp, it could be less accurate than the sensor on truck

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Worst outside temp gauge I've ever had on a vehicle.
It's only accurate at night or super cloudy days.
Putting a temp sensor inside a closed housing that the sun heats up is just utterly, utterly dumb.
It needs to be somewhere near the front of the vehicle and exposed so that the minute you start moving it changes.
The sensor itself hangs down into the air path. It's no "inside" a closed housing. No temp sensor will have instant change in temp. The outside temp sensor in my 00 Dakota is mounted to the outside of the radiator support. It takes just as long to change temp, and is just as effected by heat soak when parked as my RAM.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
My wife's 2020 Traverse is in mirror, my 2002 Volvo is in the mirror. The sensor hangs down outside the mirror and airflow when driving means it should match up with outside temp. Depending on what other source you are using for outside air temp, it could be less accurate than the sensor on truck

It’s still the worse sensor I’ve experienced. I can park all my vehicles in the same area in my driveway. The Subaru, ford, and my old silverados would only be a few degrees above ambient but would quickly return to ambient once you drive.

The ram will often show 110*+ when it’s 80* out and takes a long time to return to albeit.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I agree that under the mirror is a stupid spot for a temp sensor. If you park outside for any period of time, the temp is usually off for the rest of the day.

I'm surprised someone hasn't relocated it to the grille/front bumper. The ambient sensors are very inexpensive, so it makes sense to just leave the stock sensor where it is and buy a new one. Find a way to mount it behind the grille, and then make a wire harness to connect to the BCM. I'm sure @Jimmy07 could make a nice harness.

397STROKER

Reaction score
I think I would be more concerned if this was my Water or Oil temp gauge. Again, cars and trucks have been working great for a lot of year without an outside temp gauge. Just .02

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I think I would be more concerned if this was my Water or Oil temp gauge. Again, cars and trucks have been working great for a lot of year without an outside temp gauge. Just .02

I get where you're coming from, and I've also never had cars loaded with gadgets to such a level. However, I was just curious to know if anybody else was experiencing the same result and if this was abnormal or a trend. Seems to me like an almost $80,000 vehicle shouldn't have such simple issues like this.

I also don't know many people so dim that they can't figure out if it's hot or cold outside without seeing a number displayed on somewhere on the dashboard, but thanks so much for the vote of confidence. :cool:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
my truck shows high when i first get in but when i get home it is within one degree of my AcuRite Weather Station I have at home.

maybe i have a different truck:)

Users who are viewing this thread