5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Temperature Sensor

Kaderast

Reaction score
While I agree with a lot of other posts that the temp reading takes a long time after being parked in the sun to cool down to actual ambient temp, I'm convinced there are other problems.

I leave for work at 5am (read, parked in my garage overnight, not in the sun), when I get to work after 20 minutes of driving, my truck ALWAYS reads 7 degrees higher than my $2000 weather station that logs data every 2 minutes for agronomic reasons.

Drove me crazy, dealership replaced the sensor twice, and some module in the door that was supposed to relay senor info to the BCM I think. Neither fixed the issue. They finally told me RAM won't let them do any more work on the issue (BS???). It's a very minor problem, but still drives me nuts.

I've been in my buddy's '22 Laramie a few times, and his always reads spot on.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While I agree with a lot of other posts that the temp reading takes a long time after being parked in the sun to cool down to actual ambient temp, I'm convinced there are other problems.

I leave for work at 5am (read, parked in my garage overnight, not in the sun), when I get to work after 20 minutes of driving, my truck ALWAYS reads 7 degrees higher than my $2000 weather station that logs data every 2 minutes for agronomic reasons.

Drove me crazy, dealership replaced the sensor twice, and some module in the door that was supposed to relay senor info to the BCM I think. Neither fixed the issue. They finally told me RAM won't let them do any more work on the issue (BS???). It's a very minor problem, but still drives me nuts.

I've been in my buddy's '22 Laramie a few times, and his always reads spot on.
Mine is usually within a couple degrees of any temperature display along roads in bank signs. Has never read the same as the forecast temperature, but the "official" sensors are in different spots usually around airports.

What have you used to calibrate your $2000 weather station?

JimStinson

Reaction score
I wish I had your problems...mine reads LOW! Right now it is 80+°F and mine is reading 63°F. Any ideas? Also, it's possible it's car wash related. Just ran mine thru car wash.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Does anyone know where the outside temperature sensor is located, and is anybody experiencing a significant difference in what the truck shows vs the actual temperature?

Mine is typically showing 126+ when I hop in after work (around 5:00PM) and the outside temps are actually 'only' in the 102-106 range. It also takes awhile (like 3-4 miles of driving) to settle back down to anything close to the real outside air temperature, usually within 5 degrees, but still always high.

Or is this a case of "It's not a bug... it's a feature?"
MY current chevy does the same thing. and the temp probe for it is in front of the radiators just behind the grill. I know as I had to replace it when the air conditioner would not work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
MY current chevy does the same thing. and the temp probe for it is in front of the radiators just behind the grill. I know as I had to replace it when the air conditioner would not work.
Shhh, don't say these things, it's not helping the bad theory others have about mirror being a bad location

Adjutant

Reaction score
My last 2 Ram 1500s had very accurate temp readings. My newst howere, is horrible.
Its always AT LEAST 5 degrees too high. Usually more like 7

Then, when the truck has been sitting, it will read 120 degrees, etc.
It then takes probably 20-30 minutes of driving just to get it back down to the 5-7 degrees above correct.

Its useless

Users who are viewing this thread