5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outrageous "Dealer Option"

jameyj

Reaction score
Looking around for a slightly used rebel..... came across this one in Van Nuys, Ca. Really didnt know how expensive nitrogen was.... its only like 70% of earth's atmosphere. Better braking???? what.??????

Doubt I would ever consider doing business with someplace like this.

1597188917799.png

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Wow!! And to think Costco fills your tires with this for free! How will Costco ever stay in business giving away expensive nitrogen ? I won’t even drive down the same street as that dealer.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Nitrogen is a waste. Most places (gas stations/convenience stores) don’t have it. If you go off road and air down and then use a pump, no nitro either.

if you don’t refill with nitro then it is mixed and no bennies there.

but honestly unless you do a lot of high performance stuff then nitro is a waste. Just search about it.

I would have them remove that option since it is a dealer install.

my dealer had mine ceramiced and I talked them into throwing it in for free

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Looking around for a slightly used rebel..... came across this one in Van Nuys, Ca. Really didnt know how expensive nitrogen was.... its only like 70% of earth's atmosphere. Better braking???? what.??????

Doubt I would ever consider doing business with someplace like this.

View attachment 65179
Bro I’m from Southern California too when I was shoppin for my truck I told all dealerships I won’t pay for this because I’m gonna air down when I off road, paint protection you gonna scratch it when you off road, and the rest simply don’t need it. If they don’t remove them for these simple reason tell them they are idiots and ask for th general manager he’ll push the sale through

Rhombus

Reaction score
This reminds me of the dealer etching the VIN in all the glass as now NO ONE would wanto to steal it . I said no. The salesman said I HAD to pay for it as the work had already been done. I got up to walk out and the Sales Manger met me and said there must have been a misunderstanding. i toled him there was no misunderstanding. I’m a sales a sales executive so I know when a rep is trying to game me. I don’t tolerate my reps selling that way and I DON’T spend my money with one like that either. Tell the truth and don‘t try and hustle me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see stuff like this in San Diego, but mostly because we have a lot of buyers from Mexico who come over and buy cars/trucks and they expect some heavy negotiation. So they aim high expecting to be negotiated low.

Then again, right now the market is weird, not a lot of stock and people willing to pay more than before to get what's available, a lot of used cars prices have risen because of it, and dealers are probably trying to get as much as they can per vehicle stay stay afloat.

It's a seller's market, but they are low in stock.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
The pin stripe is actually a relatively fair price. Of course our door edge/pinstripe guy does both for less than $100 usually.

nburd

Reaction score
These extras are certainly outrageous. If I saw this on a lot I would walk away. The biggest issue for me is a Doc Fee! The cost to fill out the paperwork and file a title ($35.00 in Maine) and just added profit. They charge $399 and up to $699 depending on the dealer. I had a Chevy dealer in NY where we shopped that was actually $1299 for the doc fee and no indication until after you agreed to buy the truck. That is robbery. In the 90's and 2000's you used to be able to negotiate this or eliminate it, and it was maybe $89-129. Lately, I have had no luck and they will not budge, even if you walk. Especially on ultra low internet sales. My total buy process was 15 minutes, arrive, all paperwork, Loan, deny all extra warranties, fabric protection, wheel protection, etc and sign. There is only one dealer that advertises no Doc Fee in Maine but their prices are typically higher. In Maine the doc fee is taxable as well as all rebates, extended warranties and "dealer prep" which certainly stinks. On top of that 2.4% of MSRP for excise tax (which I have to pay with the Tax tomorrow, ugh Ramen for the family over the next month).

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These extras are certainly outrageous. If I saw this on a lot I would walk away. The biggest issue for me is a Doc Fee! The cost to fill out the paperwork and file a title ($35.00 in Maine) and just added profit. They charge $399 and up to $699 depending on the dealer. I had a Chevy dealer in NY where we shopped that was actually $1299 for the doc fee and no indication until after you agreed to buy the truck. That is robbery. In the 90's and 2000's you used to be able to negotiate this or eliminate it, and it was maybe $89-129. Lately, I have had no luck and they will not budge, even if you walk. Especially on ultra low internet sales. My total buy process was 15 minutes, arrive, all paperwork, Loan, deny all extra warranties, fabric protection, wheel protection, etc and sign. There is only one dealer that advertises no Doc Fee in Maine but their prices are typically higher. In Maine the doc fee is taxable as well as all rebates, extended warranties and "dealer prep" which certainly stinks. On top of that 2.4% of MSRP for excise tax (which I have to pay with the Tax tomorrow, ugh Ramen for the family over the next month).
My understanding is the doc fee is limited in NY to $75.00, was the fee listed with other things? I purchased my Ram In NJ and the 2 fees that were charged totaled $498.00. Purchased my wife's Civic in NY over 3 years ago and don't have ready access to sales receipt but I believe it was $75.00.

PwrdbyM

Reaction score
The top numbers are switched as well, retail $37,xxx. our price $39,xxx. "Total savings" shows minus.....

Nitrogen is the most ridiculous marketing gimmick. I get the science behind it, but none of us are driving formula 1 cars. There's no way that dealer tech is airing down all of the tires to replace with nitrogen. Don't get me started on (chemical) protection packages (swirl marks come free!).

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get my nitrogen fill at Costco for free. It's a benefit when it regularly gets to -20° and you don't have to air up.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I wonder if one reason dealers have add-ons like this is to easier bury negative equity in financing. If they mark up the MSRP by a few thousand dollars and the cost to them is a few hundred, I wonder if banks are tricked into thinking the loan to value has improved as well. I hate dealerships. I wish you could buy directly from the manufacturer.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ohh yes, Russell Westbrook. We did purchase my partner's Jeep Grand Cherokee there. This first words out of my mouth were "the dealer add-ons will be taken out of the deal, or we have no deal and we'll leave right now." They took them out without much fuss.

U

User_3336

Yeah, the dealer here had some "environmental package for $995 added on". Told them going in "I don't fall for that crap". After the "addendum sheet" got out of the picture, I think they forgot about the running boards and bed liner they added too! LOL

Ohh yes, Russell Westbrook. We did purchase my partner's Jeep Grand Cherokee there. This first words out of my mouth were "the dealer add-ons will be taken out of the deal, or we have no deal and we'll leave right now." They took them out without much fuss.

STR

Reaction score
This nitrogen crap was first popularized in a commercial application in the motorcycle world, particular racing/sport bikes, which made sense due to power/weight ratio, lower air volume, etc. It was subsequently debunked by various credible sources. Any performance gains are negligible. Charging $1K is fraud, and should be reported to the State Attorney General’s Office. Absolutely nothing will happen as the dealership can charge whatever they want, but it “might” draw attention to this scam. At the least it should be reported to the local media/social media. This is worse than ADMs :mad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread