5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out of warranty.. what now? Lol

RamGuy32

Reaction score
I don't buy extended warranties. I'm insured with Geico and have their MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance). It costs $48 for six months in California and has a $250 deductible per claim. Claims can have multiple items on the claim at the same time and are covered under one deductible, not one for each. I recently took my out of warranty vehicle in for service for three items. Parksense was acting up while driving, leaking rear window (second time), and the spring in the overhead console (sunglasses) broke and the door would drop while driving. ALL three were covered by Geico, paid the dealer direct, and for $250 I got the issues taken care of. Peace of mind, knowing that could have easily been a blown engine rod, took out the block and seized the transmission at the same time and that would have only been $250! initial cost of $96/year cannot be beat.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
30+ years of buying 12 new vehicles between the wife and I and never paid a single penny for an extended warranty nor have I ever even needed one. Only used the original factory warranty once for something very minor and that was back in the 1990’s. The way I look at it I’m $35-$40,000 ahead at this point and will still be way ahead even if something major like a motor replacement.
Crazy how some people seem to have issues with every single thing they own. I’ve been very fortunate with every vehicle I’ve ever purchased. Always have done my own maintenance and took very good care of them. I avoid dealership service departments at all costs. Maybe that’s the key.😆

Reactions: DEG

dajogejr

Reaction score
30+ years of buying 12 new vehicles between the wife and I and never paid a single penny for an extended warranty nor have I ever even needed one. Only used the original factory warranty once for something very minor and that was back in the 1990’s. The way I look at it I’m $35-$40,000 ahead at this point and will still be way ahead even if something major like a motor replacement.
Crazy how some people seem to have issues with every single thing they own. I’ve been very fortunate with every vehicle I’ve ever purchased. Always have done my own maintenance and took very good care of them. I avoid dealership service departments at all costs. Maybe that’s the key.😆
No offense Dewey…. What is the average duration for you to keep a vehicle?
And how many miles do you drive?
Since 2006, I’m on my 4th RAM, and the first was a two year lease.
If I was only keeping a car for 2-4 years, and kept the mileage reasonable… I’m with you 100%.

I kept my 08 to 15, about 110 on the clock (that one had lifetime powertrain from Chrylser), 15 from 15 to 2023, 140K on the clock.

If you don’t keep them long enough or drive them enough, yep… that works.
Longer ownership, longer mileage, that skews it.

The issues I had on my 2015 were mainly air suspension related.
Sunroof leak, at around 130K water pump, belt, tensioner.
One radio after the 3/36 was up.
Rear end seal, U joints on the rear.
Outer Tie rod ends…
Then small odds and ends that I waited till I had a bigger repair, like faulty window switches, ram box latch that was flaky, etc.

Any advice on what kind of maintenance I could’ve done on my own to prevent any of those?

Users who are viewing this thread