5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our 2019's in Australia cost around $140,000 OMG!!!!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
I just came back from Fort Myers Beach...beautiful day. As I was backing out of parking spot a gentleman and his wife stopped me. I rolled down passenger window and we talked a bit. they were from Australia. They wanted to look at my truck. He said they cost $140,000 (2019's) in the land down under due to all the import/taxes etc!!!

He was a veteran (so am I) we hit it off talking right there me half-way backed up out of the parking spot. Fortunately it was one of the streets you can park and walk, so no traffic as my parking spot is literally next to beach. He then said if you don't mind, can my wife sit in your truck and allow him to take a picture. Now for all purposes he did request that I don't drive off with her (she was beautiful!!!). It was so cute, that she struck a pose in my passenger seat waving out the window as he snapped pictures away.

It was a great moment. I remember in my military travels abroad and how friendly the natives/locals were everywhere I visited/stationed. He said our trucks are giants compared to their Utes!!! (No, I didn't drive off with her!!!)

I found this ad for RAM in Australia for a 2018 RAM, from $79,950.....<--this deal ended 4/30/2019 for the price on a 2018....check out the caption:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, not cheap. Doing the conversion to left side steering probably does not help either.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m guessing that price is in Australian dollars. The conv rate is about .71 which would make that 2018 about 56-57k US$ and 140k Aussie$ is about 100k US$. Still not cheap but with the import taxes that would make more sense.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I lived there one of my friends had her Ford truck converted to right hand drive and sold it making quite a bit of profit. Exchange rate back then was around .51-.55 AUS to USD

krakenatwork

Reaction score
I’m guessing that price is in Australian dollars. The conv rate is about .71 which would make that 2018 about 56-57k US$ and 140k Aussie$ is about 100k US$. Still not cheap but with the import taxes that would make more sense.
You don't have to go that far to see higher prices; a bare-bones tradesman in Canada will cost you $40300 while a fully loaded Limited will set you back $88300. My own Big Horn's price ranges in the low 60s (all prices including GST and PST).

Patsy1099

Reaction score
You don't have to go that far to see higher prices; a bare-bones tradesman in Canada will cost you $40300 while a fully loaded Limited will set you back $88300. My own Big Horn's price ranges in the low 60s (all prices including GST and PST).

I just went to Ram Australia’s website. That $79k ad is Australian Dollar$ not US$. At today’s exchange rate that’s $56,500 US

But buying American cars overseas isn’t cheap! That’s part of the whole trade issue we are having now. We import tons of vehicles and don’t tax them much. Most foreign countries don’t reciprocate. But it’s even worse. I remember when I did exporting, germans would come over and ship container loads of used Porsche’s and American muscle cars back over there. They said they pay a ton for vehicles, including Porsche because of taxes. We are much cheaper here in the US than anywhere else.

Patsy1099

Reaction score
That’s also why if you notice many new cars require you to sign a statement saying you won’t export it for X number of years. You could make a ton of money flipping these overseas on the resale market.

Mighty Snowpants

Reaction score
If you live next to the manufacturing plant, the fully loaded Rebel costs $23,495.
As you move away from the plant it gets more expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread