5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ouch, truck just gone dead.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
FCA have failed to help out’ AAA had no idea eeks any ideas for nutral to push it into the driveway

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If my truck died, I’d probably be pretty heavy into the drinks around 2AM....lol hard story to follow but you’ve definitely got an issue on your hands! One FCA/your dealer will make right first thing this morning. Keep us updated! And rememberto hydrate (y):coffee::D

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mega fail on FCA's part. I hope you are properly compensated by FCA or the dealer... sounds like they both dropped the ball.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
4:19 am truck is off to dealer no sleep till Brooklin.
@Cattail cruncher your situation definitely has our attention, please keep us updated. I agree with our other members that more specific details would help us understand. Sounds like you have your key, the battery is charged, the truck is unlocking, but when you hit the button it doesn't start. Are there lights on? Does it display any warning messages? If so, what are they?

You are hopefully getting some rest (or are tired as heck at work) right now so just update us when you have more info from the dealership.

If FCA is disabling vehicles remotely when they don't see the sale record this would affect us all; not saying that's what happened but it sounds like it is a possibility these days. I also just read some financing companies are installing remote kill devices on vehicles they have loans out on - I hate the idea but it is happening. You don't have to share your situation, but consider that possibility too.

Good luck, I hope you get your wheels back on the road soon.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly doubt they remote killed the truck - sounds like the dealer didn't update the VIN as sold when you took delivery. Could be as simple as a bad ground or a computer issue.

Regardless, hope they get this resolved soon.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know I can contact OnStar and have my Corvette shut down. They put it in limp mode first. Didn't realize FCA has that capability. For some reason it doesn't seem like we have the entire story.

nerdrock

Reaction score
when you press the start button in the truck, does it say anything on the screen? is the truck in Park, and are you pressing the brake?

maybe there's a fob failure to communicate with the truck? did you try pressing the fob against the start button ? (if the fob battery dies or fob breaks, there's a short range sensor that lets you start the vehicle by physically pressing the start button WITH the fob)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did you try pressing the fob against the start button ? (if the fob battery dies or fob breaks, there's a short range sensor that lets you start the vehicle by physically pressing the start button WITH the fob)

Very good info to know!

nerdrock

Reaction score
Very good info to know!

Yeah. This is my first "fob" vehicle and despite being a techno-nerd, I had trust issues with the idea of a fob. So, I did a lot of googling. Turns out like MOST (if not all) vehicles out there that use fobs have this feature, along with the 'hidden' physical key for emergency door access.

If I had lots of time and money (and such a product existed) , I'd explore converting all my motorcycles to fobs. I'm sold on the idea (and super bummed my Ram doesn't have the keyless enter-and-go, but only the keyless go)

Whynot

Reaction score
FCA wouldn't remote kill a truck (if they even have that capability) unless it was reported to them as stolen. The fact that they have no record of you buying the truck (probably a simple error on the Dealer's part) is irrelevant. Why would they remote kill a truck that they think is sitting on a dealer lot? Having a operational truck is just as important to dealers as to the end customer.

fish mojo

Reaction score
Maybe Cattail had tee many martoonies and had the wrong keys.....

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
So I came home went inside fed the dog, emptied the dish washer 15min, Decided to Go back out to the store to grab dinner stuffs and jumped in the truck push the break hit the button, nothing clics to run and no start hmmm. Did that several times nada. OK now what try other fob it was a no go also, tried pushing the fob into the button (yes I read that also) no go. No codes at all, no warnings.
Battery was reading a little low hmmm used other ram to try to jump it, no go, put charger on it for 2 hours no go, AAA comes out to jump it no go, mean while dealing with Ram cares they want to send a tow truck out 2 hours. 2 hours go bye and no tow truck, call ram cares back and they have no record of me calling, they want my vin#. They have no record of the truck being sold and want to send a tow truck.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Tow truck gets here at 4 am and takes truck to dealer so that is where we are at, glad I was at home. Calling dealer now.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I IfI had lots of time and money (and such a product existed) , I'd explore converting all my motorcycles to fobs.

Harleys have had wireless FOBs since at least 2004. The security module/FOB system is a $500 adder and can be added to compatible models. Sorry for deviating from the serious topic at hand.

Hope the OP gets his truck going.

D

Deleted member 85

They think the truck is not sold, aka still at dealership crazy
The dealer has not RDR'd the vehicle - aka reported it to FCA as a sold unit yet - which is common if it was just sold and it's a bad dealer. Technically there are 2 major cut-offs every month for reporting sales; mid-month and month end. If you purchased at the beginning, just just past the middle, they may have been waiting until before either cut-offs to report the sale. This is the cause of your issue.

Cluck

Reaction score
FCA remote kill a truck? I see a major liability issue with this if it happens. What if there is a medical emergy and you need to rush someone to the hospital with the truck. Or you are out in the middle of the wilderness ...truck wont start, no cell service, night time comes, 0 degrees out.. you freeze and die. Countless liability scenarios with this..

Users who are viewing this thread