5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Others Flashing Brights At Me

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had more than a few folks flashing their brights at me when I'm on low beams. I originally thought it was because the LED headlights were so bright or misaligned but got out at night and walked around in front of the truck. These LEDs absolutely cut off below what seemed to be the right point but as I was looking at the headlights at night I think I figured it out. Not only are they bright headlights but in low beam mode both projectors on each side are on. I think that leads other drivers to think your brights are on since they see 4 lights lit up.

Am I the only one getting this?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been surprised that I HAVEN’T experienced this. The LEDs throw a lot of light, and I expected more drivers to ‘complain’. But as you said, they are well-aimed. My wife is very sensitive to headlight glare and had no issues driving ahead of me at night.

That said, if a driver flashes their brights at me, I feel like I’m unleashing the power of the sun when I flash them back.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m on a heavily traveled rural road and have not have this issue. Have you pulled up to a garage door or wall and checked to ensure they are not too high?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m on a heavily traveled rural road and have not have this issue. Have you pulled up to a garage door or wall and checked to ensure they are not too high?

Yes and they are aimed correctly. I also usually travel in Aero at night just to keep the headlights a little lower too.

RebelMike

Reaction score
I have had this happen several times to me as well. I'm sure I have upset a few people when I quickly flash them back to show I'm on low beams. The head lights are very bright.

EStein

Reaction score
I've had more than a few folks flashing their brights at me when I'm on low beams. I originally thought it was because the LED headlights were so bright or misaligned but got out at night and walked around in front of the truck. These LEDs absolutely cut off below what seemed to be the right point but as I was looking at the headlights at night I think I figured it out. Not only are they bright headlights but in low beam mode both projectors on each side are on. I think that leads other drivers to think your brights are on since they see 4 lights lit up.

I get flashed as well. Even in the daytime. I don’t have LEDs. They seem to be aimed correctly. Just bright I guess.....

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had it happen a couple of times as well. Some guy in a Tundra at an intersection the other night flashed like 5 times. I know the way the road was my front end was pointed up into the air more then normal so that probably made them look brighter.

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
I have had it happen. People in really low cars like a Chevrolet Cruz will get blinded by these headlights. I saw a guy turning and ran though my led stream and you could see him lift his arm to block it from hitting his eyes. LMAO. They are bright but led lights don't burn your eyes causing bright spots to be baked into your eyes for 10 minutes.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had it happen. People in really low cars like a Chevrolet Cruz will get blinded by these headlights. I saw a guy turning and ran though my led stream and you could see him lift his arm to block it from hitting his eyes. LMAO. They are bright but led lights don't burn your eyes causing bright spots to be baked into your eyes for 10 minutes.
Yeah, these well-designed units perform SO much better than the illegal but all-too-common aftermarket LED retrofits into halogen reflector housings (resulting in ridiculous glare).

Old Ray

Reaction score
So.........I mostly drive in a rural area with twisty mountian roads and of course we all know that all other drivers are stupid, so to prevent getting flashed (self preservation-one retina and two cataract surgeries) if there is no approaching cars I intentionally drive on high beam and when meeting someone I make a very obvious show of dimming my lights. If they still don't get it then the fight is on.

ScottW19

Reaction score
Just bought a 19 Laramie 4x4 1500 crew on Sat. What a beast. Been driving an accord since 2013.

I thought I had the brights on as well during drive home. They project out wide for sure.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Laramie doesn't have the projector lamps like the Limiteds, but I get flashed a lot more than I did in the two Big Horns I had. As someone else mentioned, it seems that most of those that think I have the high beams on are small cars.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007931 miles.

VinnyRam

Reaction score
I just got flashed by one driver on the way home tonight while on low beam. The air suspension was in Normal mode. I drove the same road last time in Aero mode and didn't get flashed. These lights are 10 times brighter than my previous 2015 F150 XLT.

Lize

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that no one has flashed me yet.

Think US are straight pattern and we have the left beam set higher. Headlight pattern is tested on import, but theres not a lot you can do with projectors or LEDs. When we drive on the right in Europe we have to put stickers on the standard light units to deflect the beam pattern over to the right.

Even though my Raptor passed the tests people were constantly flashing me, I even had a truck flash me on a 2 lane road - so 2 lanes and a barrier between us. I turned those down to point more at the floor and no one flashed me again, visibility was OK but not as far as I would have liked and they had to be turned back up to pass the annual test.

No problems with the Ram LEDs, so I'm pleased about that.

From my perspective this is very accurate:
They specifically state the Ram's seem better and have less glare than others, especially the F150s.

Saints

Reaction score
I haven’t been flashed yet and I’m pretty surprised by that as my truck is lifted. I still think I need to adjust them a bit though.

ldoh

Reaction score
The IIHS released the 2020 Ram 1500 results. The 2020 outperforms the 2019 LEDs. Here's the interesting part. Apparently FCA changed something related to the 1500 LED headlights starting in Jun 2019 to fix headlight glare for oncoming vehicles. Most 2019 headlights were given a marginal rating for glare. The 2019 LEDs were given a poor rating for excess glare.

At any event the 2020 solution is unknown. It would be nice to know if FCA only corrected the light aiming in production or did they need to fix the plastic lens optic quality, improve reflector design, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread