5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other camper shells that would fit a 5th gen?

chainsaw

Reaction score
I’ve got the ARE on my truck. Down south, still gets too hot to keep dogs in back, even with the A/C blasting and sliders open. It’s great for keeping things dry though!

Attachments

• B30153C8-0AD8-4B39-B83E-2510D52728A5.jpeg
    B30153C8-0AD8-4B39-B83E-2510D52728A5.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 143

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep waiting for one of the manufacturers to come out with a camper shell with a rear camera incorporated that would connect to the RAM digital rear view mirror in my CHMSL. Otherwise, putting a camper on it will kill the functionality as the rear rear view mirror camera offers a much wider field of view than a regular rear view mirror.

jellis466

Reaction score
bringing this thread back up to see if anyone has any other input on a 4th gen camper on a 5th gen. 5th gen shells are just too expensive right now. A 4th gen camper for a few hundred might justify it being a little off...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bringing this thread back up to see if anyone has any other input on a 4th gen camper on a 5th gen. 5th gen shells are just too expensive right now. A 4th gen camper for a few hundred might justify it being a little off...
4th Gen won't work on a 5th Gen as the bed is taller on a 5th Gen. The 4th Gen camper will stick up above the top of the cab and it does look odd from the sides too...

I ended up going with a shorter version - Undercover Elite LX - painted to match. It's a hard bed cover that keeps everything 100% dry, is painted to match, not as high and is normally $1500 but Amazon has them on sale from time to time. I picked mine up on August 30 for $838 including tax delivered to the house. They have one currently for a 6'4" bed in Flame Red for $674. Below is a link to the Granite Crystal...keep checking back as they throw them on sale as low as $599 from time to time.

Last edited:

jellis466

Reaction score
4th Gen won't work on a 5th Gen as the bed is taller on a 5th Gen. The 4th Gen camper will stick up above the top of the cab and it does look odd from the sides too...

I ended up going with a shorter version - Undercover Elite LX - painted to match. It's a hard bed cover that keeps everything 100% dry, is painted to match, not as high and is normally $1500 but Amazon has them on sale from time to time. I picked mine up on August 30 for $838 including tax delivered to the house. They have one currently for a 6'4" bed in Flame Red for $674. Below is a link to the Granite Crystal...keep checking back as they throw them on sale as low as $599 from time to time.

I found a post where someone put a 4th gen on a 5th gen and it looks like it works, but sticks up a little higher than the cab. for the price of what I can get a used 4th gen camper it'll be bearable until I'm able to get a 5th gen camper.
Thanks for the link to that cover but looking for a camper shell not a cover.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found a post where someone put a 4th gen on a 5th gen and it looks like it works, but sticks up a little higher than the cab. for the price of what I can get a used 4th gen camper it'll be bearable until I'm able to get a 5th gen camper.
Thanks for the link to that cover but looking for a camper shell not a cover.
Yeah, the 4th Gen will work on a 5th Gen provided you don’t have an issue with it sticking up above the cab of the truck. Just keep in mind the front of the 4th Gen camper in a 5th Gen may benefit from a protective covering (paint protection film) as it will be exposed to bugs, rocks, etc.

And yes, I too wanted a shell and not a cover but no shells are available yet for the digital rear view mirror that my Ram has…adding a shell would have blocked it abs rendered that option useless…maybe someday.

jellis466

Reaction score
Yeah, the 4th Gen will work on a 5th Gen provided you don’t have an issue with it sticking up above the cab of the truck. Just keep in mind the front of the 4th Gen camper in a 5th Gen may benefit from a protective covering (paint protection film) as it will be exposed to bugs, rocks, etc.

And yes, I too wanted a shell and not a cover but no shells are available yet for the digital rear view mirror that my Ram has…adding a shell would have blocked it abs rendered that option useless…maybe someday.
I have thought about that issue and can figure something out to place in the 1" gap between the cab and the camper to make it more streamline. As for the digital rearview mirror, thats not a concern to me as I have a LoneStar without that option.

ddenton369

Reaction score
I just paid 2000 for a Leer. Adding all kinds of doo dads can up the price significantly.
Can you share pics and details?
I literally just sold the folding hard cover from my '17 as my 5th gen crew cab is expected any day now. (Didn't credit me for it in trade)

Jawisa

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 5'7" bed and would like to add a camper shell to the back. Unfortunately the cost for new is outside the budget right now. Does anyone know if tops from other years and other makes would fir my truck? I see a lot of tops from Fords and Chevys tops available in the used market but not sure what would fit. I was hoping that someone might have compiled a "cheat sheet".

rotts4u

Reaction score
Camper shells are not cheap now but they are nice. ARE and LEER are the top two brands and I have never met annoying with one that had it and regretted it, but they are $$$.

chainsaw

Reaction score
I kept the ARE shell from my ‘19 Laramie, because I ordered a ‘22 Limited in same color, Delmonico Red. In the next few weeks, I will be trying to fit it on. This will render the digital rear view useless, but I don’t use it anyhow. I prefer the traditional mirrors 😆. If y’all are interested with how it goes, let me know.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I kept the ARE shell from my ‘19 Laramie, because I ordered a ‘22 Limited in same color, Delmonico Red. In the next few weeks, I will be trying to fit it on. This will render the digital rear view useless, but I don’t use it anyhow. I prefer the traditional mirrors 😆. If y’all are interested with how it goes, let me know.
Please keep us posted...will be interesting to see how the ARE fits with the larger CHMSL.

LaramieCrew

Reaction score
I’ve got the ARE on my truck. Down south, still gets too hot to keep dogs in back, even with the A/C blasting and sliders open. It’s great for keeping things dry though!
Can you send me the details on your ARE cover? I don’t prefer full sliding windows but yours seems to have a different look to them.

victorcivello

Reaction score
if you're in the market for one, I might be selling mine soon. I am possibly about to upgrade to a 2500 so my shell won't fit the new one. I'm located in MS

theblackpearlTX

Reaction score
Leer 100 XQ

1b6d581fa462caedb2b6f8edca9ed80b.jpg

536b4f9d6dbbb320accbb87bd7129f22.jpg

62fceef9c64ee1ff88eb020d4666ff5b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I seriously created an account on here after seeing your hitch swing out. Which model is that if you don't mind me asking? Do you have any other attachments for cans or anything else?

Users who are viewing this thread