5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering soon and have some questions so I'm prepared.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Just curious for those who have special ordered your trucks, how did it impact you negotiating on a price? I paid less than invoice, could you do that with a special ordered truck too?

STL Cards

Reaction score
I am from Cleveland. Order to delivery was 30 days back in mid October to mid November. I ordered Rambox with BUG, Level 2 with the 12" uconnect. I was told 6-8 weeks and had it in my driveway 30 days later.

30 days is very encouraging. Last week (wk 3) I was told my build was D1 status and to check back in two weeks which will be ~5 weeks. Can't wait.

Spe1996

Reaction score
30 days is very encouraging. Last week (wk 3) I was told my build was D1 status and to check back in two weeks which will be ~5 weeks. Can't wait.
D1 was the longest wait. I went from D1 on a Wednesday, build competed Saturday, Sunday went to finishing (assuming that was for bed liner or Rambox fitment), went to exit gate on Monday or Tuesday and was on the dealers lot early Thursday. I live withing 3 hours of the factory so no waiting on rail shipment.

kjn86

Reaction score
First and foremost, I appreciate any feedback - this website (constantly searching and reading) has been an invaluable resource for me.

I’m planning to order a Laramie 4x4 short bed in as soon as a couple weeks (depending on some responses here) as my current lease will be up in April and trying to time the build appropriately. Below is the planned option list, and from that I was looking for opinions on:

1. what is the current build time for these trucks (order-to-delivery) – dealership is telling me 6-8 weeks, but I read mixed results on here that indicate it’s longer. Will the long plant shutdown cause a start-up delay when they start building them again?

2. do any of the options below extend my build time? (seen indicators that Rambox and/or Bed Utility might?)

3. Is there anything I need to concern myself with around any of my options? I’ve read that trucks aren’t coming with the hardware in order to make use of the bed extender feature, is that still an issue? Other concerns I need to address with the dealership?

4. Should I wait for Feb rebates (cleveland auto show will be end of Feb here) - My dealership has indicated they can lock the rebates so that I get the "best", but I believe that is either what they are at time or order, or what they are at time of delivery, not necessarily what they are in between those two times. Currently get $2000+$1000+$500 conquest lease.

Planned Build:
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 5’7” Box
5.7-Liter V8 Hemi MDS VVT Engine (EZH)
Flame Red

Equipment:
Level 1 Equipment Group (A66)
Sport Appearance Package (AEF)
RamBox Cargo Management System (XB9)
Rear Wheelhouse-Liners (MWH)
Panoramic Sunroof (GWJ)
Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4-Inch Display (UAV)
Anti-Spin Differential (DSA)
3.92 Rear Axle (DMH)
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover (CS7)
Bed Utility Group (ANT)
Front and Rear Rubber Floor Mats (CLF)
33-Gallon Fuel Tank (NFF)
Trailer Brake Control (XHC)

Few thoughts on your added equipment:

1. The factory tri-fold tonneau cover is just cloth and not very robust. I got the Mopar one which is a Bakflip M4 rebranded as Mopar and it's awesome. I was lucky as I wanted the factory cover but didn't have the option at my dealer with what was on the lot. I ordered the mopar one, which I thought was identical and found it was the harder design and much better. If you want to roll it into the payments, maybe see if they will order it and install it on your truck at delivery or shortly after and price it in. This is what I did. Very happy. I wouldn't live in Cleveland with that flimsy tonneau cover.

2. Make sure you don't lose any functionality in your mirrors with the sport appearance package. I don't know for sure, but I know the blacked out package changes the mirrors in the tow package from chrome to black, losing the heat function. I see you added trailer brake control separately and not the tow package, so I don't think there is an issue. My tow mirrors are my sole issue with mine. Don't want the mirrors to be an issue for you.

3. Why not get the factory spray-in bedliner? You pretty much need one and why not let them do it? I am very happy with mine.

4. In retrospect, the pano sunroof is awesome, but I wouldn't order it if I reordered a truck today. Don't think it's worth $1500.

Good luck! I will def order my next one and after owning a Ram now, I know precisely what I'd get.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Few thoughts on your added equipment:

1. The factory tri-fold tonneau cover is just cloth and not very robust. I got the Mopar one which is a Bakflip M4 rebranded as Mopar and it's awesome. I was lucky as I wanted the factory cover but didn't have the option at my dealer with what was on the lot. I ordered the mopar one, which I thought was identical and found it was the harder design and much better. If you want to roll it into the payments, maybe see if they will order it and install it on your truck at delivery or shortly after and price it in. This is what I did. Very happy. I wouldn't live in Cleveland with that flimsy tonneau cover.

2. Make sure you don't lose any functionality in your mirrors with the sport appearance package. I don't know for sure, but I know the blacked out package changes the mirrors in the tow package from chrome to black, losing the heat function. I see you added trailer brake control separately and not the tow package, so I don't think there is an issue. My tow mirrors are my sole issue with mine. Don't want the mirrors to be an issue for you.

3. Why not get the factory spray-in bedliner? You pretty much need one and why not let them do it? I am very happy with mine.

4. In retrospect, the pano sunroof is awesome, but I wouldn't order it if I reordered a truck today. Don't think it's worth $1500.

Good luck! I will def order my next one and after owning a Ram now, I know precisely what I'd get.
Just curious about your comments with respect to the tonneau cover. I have the factory tri-fold, and it’s best described as a semi-rigid “pleather” material on the outside. I just wondered what you meant by describing it as “just cloth”. We’re you referring to the backing? Thanks.

kjn86

Reaction score
Just curious about your comments with respect to the tonneau cover. I have the factory tri-fold, and it’s best described as a semi-rigid “pleather” material on the outside. I just wondered what you meant by describing it as “just cloth”. We’re you referring to the backing? Thanks.

I mean that it isn't hard and it is, as you described, semi-pleather. Not sure how well it would hold up to anyone who wanted to break into it with just a knife or with the weight of a significant snowfall is all.

gmab

Reaction score
I ordered a truck on 11/12/18, build finished on 12/18/18, arrived at dealer on 1/9/19.

Found out on 12/20 when I pulled window sticker that it had the trailer tow group which I did not order.

brewdad

Reaction score
Tried to order the $445 BUG and the dealer received a BE order error. Evidently the only way to get the BUG is to order the $995 Ram Boxes. I don't want the RB's so I'll order the BUG via Mopar accessories. Note the rails and divider are separate. Will cost about $550 this way but that's still better than $1,440.
Smart decision to leave off BUG since the bed lights & spray-in liner are standard for Limited trims---all you would have gotten for $445 is the adjustable tie-down hardware.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean that it isn't hard and it is, as you described, semi-pleather. Not sure how well it would hold up to anyone who wanted to break into it with just a knife or with the weight of a significant snowfall is all.
Thanks for clarifying. In my opinion, it has some pros and cons. It's a heavier material than the Access roll-up cover that was on my previous truck for 15 years (I really liked that cover). It seems to have a solid frame. And it has a sleek look, even if it's raised a bit over the bed rails. On the downside, it doesn't fit as tightly as I'd like; I can slide the whole thing back and forth slightly when installed. And it is less convenient to remove a tri-fold vs. simply rolling my old cover up all the way. But I guess that's the downside to any tri-fold cover.

STL Cards

Reaction score
Update : I've been KZ status for 9 days. Supposed to ship from New Boston via railcar February 5 to Nashville then by truck to western Kentucky.

PwC

Reaction score
I ordered my limited with rambox and etorque on 11/3. Its built but still in KZ status. hoping to have it my hands by mid feb.

Users who are viewing this thread