5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering New Side Steps This Weekend - Letting Community Decide Which Ones I Go With!

N-Fab EpYx or N-Fab 3" Round Steps

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I'm torn between N-Fab EpYx Steps and N-Fab 3" Round Steps... I love them both and my wife doesn't care as long as they get ordered so she can get into my truck easier. To make it fun and to take the decision off of myself.. I'm letting the community decide which ones I go with! They'll be going on a Black 2020 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab. The reason for the steps rather than running boards is I will be lifting it 6" before the year is over and wanna go ahead and get the steps outta the way.

Vote in the poll above with your choice! I'll be ordering Saturday and will post pictures once installed!

Option 1: N-Fab EpYx
Link: https://www.carid.com/2019-ram-1500-running-boards/n-fab-epyx-black-nerf-steps-1290749606.html
1573705840497.png

Option 2: N-Fab 3" Round
Link: https://www.carid.com/2019-ram-1500-running-boards/n-fab-3-inch-nerf-steps-1136404849.html
1573705895162.png

Picture of my truck:
20191113_223623.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I voted N-Fab EpYx, but make sure you read the reviews carefully, there are apparently some issues with quality control and the powder coating coming off and rusting from a few sites when I looked into them for my truck a few months ago.

Maybe get them spray bed lined before installing?

Also, if you haven't had running boards installed on your truck before, you will need to clean the bolts on the body. Highly recommend a 8mm x 1.25mm die to clean the threads. Will make your life a lot easier. Buy the die, thread it on, then use a 1" socket wrench to screw it down all the way to the bottom cleaning all the theads. The bolt threads will be so clean when you are done you will be able to thread on the nuts with you fingers. RAM recommends 15 ft-lbs of torque for the nuts.

Here is a link for the die: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I voted N-Fab EpYx, but make sure you read the reviews carefully, there are apparently some issues with quality control and the powder coating coming off and rusting from a few sites when I looked into them for my truck a few months ago.

Maybe get them spray bed lined before installing?

Also, if you haven't had running boards installed on your truck before, you will need to clean the bolts on the body. Highly recommend a 8mm x 1.25mm die to clean the threads. Will make your life a lot easier. Buy the die, thread it on, then use a 1" socket wrench to screw it down all the way to the bottom cleaning all the theads. The bolt threads will be so clean when you are done you will be able to thread on the nuts with you fingers. RAM recommends 15 ft-lbs of torque for the nuts.

Here is a link for the die: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015UXIOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the info on the powder coating!

I actually had originally went with the Weston protrax 4's got them installed and took them back off and returned them, didn't like the way the bracket covers looked because they didn't fill the whole gap.. I already spent the 30 minutes though with a wire wheel on my drill cleaning up the paint and nuts went on super easy when installing the Westin.

R

Rob5589

Thanks for the info on the powder coating!

I actually had originally went with the Weston protrax 4's got them installed and took them back off and returned them, didn't like the way the bracket covers looked because they didn't fill the whole gap.. I already spent the 30 minutes though with a wire wheel on my drill cleaning up the paint and nuts went on super easy when installing the Westin.
I have the Westins and agree they should cover better. One thing for sure, the coating Westin uses is super thin. Mine were scuffed up after one trip in the mountains and dealing with mud and fine dirt.

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting pictures, been super busy with holidays etc. Nfab EpYx installed. I inspected every inch and the powder coating looked great. I'll be keeping a close eye on them though.

View attachment 41612 View attachment 41613 View attachment 41614 View attachment 41615 View attachment 41616 View attachment 41617

I got the same ones on my truck so far I love them. But I noticed they didn’t clean the blots they still have paint on them. Should take the steps off and clean the bolts ? Or will they hold up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
I got my side steps installed but I noticed they didn’t clean the threads they still have paint on them. Will they hold up or should I remove the steps and clean the threads ?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got my side steps installed but I noticed they didn’t clean the threads they still have paint on them. Will they hold up or should I remove the steps and clean the threads ?

Cleaning the threads just makes it easier for initial installation, since the paint on there will force you to put a bit more pressure to secure them. It will also likely require more pressure than the 15 ft-lbs that is recommend on the nut by the factory.

The only issue is by using that extra force is that you can hurt the bolt or how it's connect to the truck itself by over-torquing during install. However this in't likely, many people have installed their side steps this way.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score

As SD Rebel just put.. if they are already on there then no need to try to take them off and clean the paint.. I personally read about the paint being on there a week or so before I ordered my steps so I went ahead and took a wire wheel on a cordless drill to them and had them ready to install when I got them.

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
Cleaning the threads just makes it easier for initial installation, since the paint on there will force you to put a bit more pressure to secure them. It will also likely require more pressure than the 15 ft-lbs that is recommend on the nut by the factory.

The only issue is by using that extra force is that you can hurt the bolt or how it's connect to the truck itself by over-torquing during install. However this in't likely, many people have installed their side steps this way.

Thank you !

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
As SD Rebel just put.. if they are already on there then no need to try to take them off and clean the paint.. I personally read about the paint being on there a week or so before I ordered my steps so I went ahead and took a wire wheel on a cordless drill to them and had them ready to install when I got them.

Thank you ! I’ll just leave them on

SlowPoke

Reaction score
I am very interested in the epyx steps by nfab. I would like to know if there is a drain hole in them.

I ask because of the 3 slash cuts in the design, up top, front and rear.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I‘be had mine on since July. Roughly 20,000 miles on them. Holding up well on the W Texas lease roads. Step are in the right spot for me.

Alexxmackk

Reaction score
I am very interested in the epyx steps by nfab. I would like to know if there is a drain hole in them.

I ask because of the 3 slash cuts in the design, up top, front and rear.

They don’t necessarily have a drain hole but they have cuts on the steps . Even if you were to get water on them I don’t see the water being held on the step because of the design. Mud might be a different story, but water and snow shouldn’t be an issue

Users who are viewing this thread