5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order 2019 vs wait on 2020

kdok7

Reaction score
They are telling me its because its a custom build and not one on the lot they need to move. Was yours already on the lot or are they lying to me?
Different models carry different incentives. My friend bought a bighorn which has better money back then the limited I just bought. It also doesn’t matter if it is on the lot or ordered. If you order a truck, you get the rebates available when it gets there just like the trucks on the lot that have been there for 2 months.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only difference will be the tailgate. No vehicle has major changes 1 year into production.
Really. 2016 to 2018 on the DS saw new interior options, new grilles and paint options. Mohave Sand was not an option for the 2016 Rebel... a bazillion 2017-18's in Mohave Sand.

There will be changes.

Oxbow9

Reaction score
From a reliability standpoint, the last 2019 model and the first 2020 model off the assembly line makes no difference. Changes are made on an ongoing fashion, so there ARE significant differences between a truck made early vs late in the same model year.

Equipment/features do differ from model year to model year, even on trucks built one day apart. But reliability makes no difference.

Great thanks for the info. I think my biggest concern is the AC issues people continue to report and you’d certainly think they’d address that immediately. I would like to know what additional trim options there may be, but then I’m also kind of concerned they may delete some things. I like the black / light beige interior but few seem to have it and rare find on the lots

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also love my e-Torque and my MPG is between 17.7-18.1 now with 4x4 3.92 gears. My math based on my real driving shows that the e-Torque will pay for itself around 28,000-33,000 Miles on the truck.

kdok7

Reaction score
Different models carry different incentives. My friend bought a bighorn which has better money back then the limited I just bought. It also doesn’t matter if it is on the lot or ordered. If you order a truck, you get the rebates available when it gets there just like the trucks on the lot that have been there for 2 months.

They are telling me its because its a custom build and not one on the lot they need to move. Was yours already on the lot or are they lying to me?
I dont know what your dealer told you. I was going to buy one off the lot or have them locate one for me assuming the rebates would be better and he told me just to order one because the rebates would be the same. I think most dealerships try to sell you when you are there because that is the teaching. If a customer leaves without buying at that time, there is a good chance you will loose the sale so they try to get you to buy when you are there.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been watching the new Ram 1500s for quite a while now and have finally decided I need a new truck. I had been waiting for the new tailgate but after more research decided I didn't want the ram boxes which it seems are a forced option. I then was informed by the dealer that I can't order the 2019 e-torque with the sunroof. I'm looking for the following build now:

Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
Laramie Sport
Granite Crystal
3.21 Rear
Level 2 equipment
Advanced Safety Group
12 inch display
Sunroof
Bed utility group
Wheelhouse Liners
20 inch polished wheels
Wheel to wheel side steps

So my question is, should I wait for the 2020 if I'm doing a custom order, or just go ahead with the 2019? I don't have to have the truck right now, but am concerned that the incentives on the new model are going to be less desirable. Any suggestions from others who have purchased a vehicle near the model year boundary? Any ideas on how much more it will cost me if I wait? Right now the dealers are offering me about 10k off sticker.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so point me in the right direction and I'll move my question.

Mike
If you can, get the 33 gallon fuel tank. You will be happy you did so you can get close to 400 plus miles per tank. E torque isn't going to make much mileage difference unless you are in stop and creep traffic for mileage. I think most comments of E torque owners is they question whether it was worth it. My custom ordered Rebel is loaded with every option except Etorque , Ram box, and engine block heater. I am rarely in stopped traffic as I am retired so I can avoid it. When truck is out of warranty and needs alternator replaced, I bet that motor/generator and battery will cost a whole bunch more than just a simple alternator. Just my 2 cents!

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I also love my e-Torque and my MPG is between 17.7-18.1 now with 4x4 3.92 gears. My math based on my real driving shows that the e-Torque will pay for itself around 28,000-33,000 Miles on the truck.

I get this same mileage without etorque. It'll never pay for itself. It doesn't save a penny in motion. So unless you spend all your life sitting in stopped traffic, it saves not a single cent. I think your logic is assuming you'd be getting worse mileage without it, and that's been disproven many times already. And in some cases folks are claiming they get worse. I never experienced that. I've only experienced the same exact mileage pre and post etorque. My old truck was turned in with 4k miles at 16.9mpg and my new just ticked over 2k and I'm getting 17.6. I call that about the same because it varies depending on where I drive.

Trueblood

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your input. I think I've decided to just wait for the 2020 model to be available, and hope I can find what I want on a lot. Reading the posts about waiting for an order to come in sounds painful, so it seems like I'll be waiting either way. My only concern is how long it takes for the incentives to get back to the 10k off I was looking at now.

I'm leaning toward skipping the e-torque based on conversation here. I really like the idea of it, but would be expecting a few mpgs advantage. I don't sit in a lot of stopped traffic, just a few lights on my way to work, so it sound like I wouldn't be getting much from the upgrade. I'll continue to watch the threads here for additional feedback. Is there a go-to thread for the e-torque vs non discussion?

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
eTorque for some reason cannot be ordered with a Sunroof or off road package, so if either of those is important to you you will have to get the standard 5.7. The 2020 will likely have some small improvements, the tailgate is one example. The 2019 will come with a smaller price tag and more available rebates.

I just got a 19 with the eTorque and love the way it operates. I don't think you will get the advertised fuel economy, but mine has done a combined 16.1 mpg with mostly city driving. In rush hour the start/stop function and assist from the electric motor are probably saving me a decent amount on fuel. If you are all highway it may not be as beneficial to you.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque for some reason cannot be ordered with a Sunroof or off road package, so if either of those is important to you you will have to get the standard 5.7. The 2020 will likely have some small improvements, the tailgate is one example. The 2019 will come with a smaller price tag and more available rebates.

I just got a 19 with the eTorque and love the way it operates. I don't think you will get the advertised fuel economy, but mine has done a combined 16.1 mpg with mostly city driving. In rush hour the start/stop function and assist from the electric motor are probably saving me a decent amount on fuel. If you are all highway it may not be as beneficial to you.

The ordering with e-Torque and sunroof is just a glitch. I would agree with you that I love the way the e-Torque operates. Having a second battery on board is also one other advantage that not too many people mention.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

ant0064

Reaction score
I've been watching the new Ram 1500s for quite a while now and have finally decided I need a new truck. I had been waiting for the new tailgate but after more research decided I didn't want the ram boxes which it seems are a forced option. I then was informed by the dealer that I can't order the 2019 e-torque with the sunroof. I'm looking for the following build now:

Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
Laramie Sport
Granite Crystal
3.21 Rear
Level 2 equipment
Advanced Safety Group
12 inch display
Sunroof
Bed utility group
Wheelhouse Liners
20 inch polished wheels
Wheel to wheel side steps

So my question is, should I wait for the 2020 if I'm doing a custom order, or just go ahead with the 2019? I don't have to have the truck right now, but am concerned that the incentives on the new model are going to be less desirable. Any suggestions from others who have purchased a vehicle near the model year boundary? Any ideas on how much more it will cost me if I wait? Right now the dealers are offering me about 10k off sticker.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so point me in the right direction and I'll move my question.

Mike

There probably won't be any significant changes for the 2020...maybe the tailgate and this night package I keep hearing about. If you want a new truck now, I'd go with a 2019 instead of speculating what may or may not be with the 2020...plus you have 10k off, that's significant, although some people will claim that they are master negotiators and got the truck for free lol. Maybe they qualified for more incentives, but 10k off MSRP seems high...I got 8.2k off. Also depends on the trim level...each one has different rebates. I don't put too much off, life is too short to wonder what may be...that's just me though. Different strokes for different folks.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
The ordering with e-Torque and sunroof is just a glitch. I would agree with you that I love the way the e-Torque operates. Having a second battery on board is also one other advantage that not too many people mention.

If it was a glitch I think it would have been figured out by now. It is intentional to not allow those options with eTorque. Why it was done only Ram knows. I have heard it has to do with the extra weight, but I would have expected them to figure out it exceeded some weight threshold prior to March when they made the change to exclude both the Sun roof and the Off Road Package

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was a glitch I think it would have been figured out by now. It is intentional to not allow those options with eTorque. Why it was done only Ram knows. I have heard it has to do with the extra weight, but I would have expected them to figure out it exceeded some weight threshold prior to March when they made the change to exclude both the Sun roof and the Off Road Package
I have these options with e-Torque so it can be ordered or at least it used to be able to be ordered. Parts availability is usually the problem and I would suspect the Off Road Package is your culprit most likely due to the Skid Plate shortage.

bitman0101

Reaction score
I have these options with e-Torque so it can be ordered or at least it used to be able to be ordered. Parts availability is usually the problem and I would suspect the Off Road Package is your culprit most likely due to the Skid Plate shortage.
Its unlikely a parts issue as you can order ORG + Etorque with the 6.4 bed. I'm told the ORG is no longer able to be ordered with 5.7 beds when combined with Etorque due to weight issues and the impact on MPG ratings.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score

As I stated for some reason they changed it sometime around March. You can't order the eTorque with a sunroof now and it is not a parts shortage since you can get it on the standard 5.7

Users who are viewing this thread