5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order 2019 vs wait on 2020

Trueblood

Reaction score
I've been watching the new Ram 1500s for quite a while now and have finally decided I need a new truck. I had been waiting for the new tailgate but after more research decided I didn't want the ram boxes which it seems are a forced option. I then was informed by the dealer that I can't order the 2019 e-torque with the sunroof. I'm looking for the following build now:

Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
Laramie Sport
Granite Crystal
3.21 Rear
Level 2 equipment
Advanced Safety Group
12 inch display
Sunroof
Bed utility group
Wheelhouse Liners
20 inch polished wheels
Wheel to wheel side steps

So my question is, should I wait for the 2020 if I'm doing a custom order, or just go ahead with the 2019? I don't have to have the truck right now, but am concerned that the incentives on the new model are going to be less desirable. Any suggestions from others who have purchased a vehicle near the model year boundary? Any ideas on how much more it will cost me if I wait? Right now the dealers are offering me about 10k off sticker.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so point me in the right direction and I'll move my question.

Mike

Trueblood

Reaction score
I called my dealer to complain and they assure me they can still order the truck. Perhaps Ram changed their timeline?

So question still stands, any good reason to wait for the 2020?

JayMann

Reaction score
I called my dealer to complain and they assure me they can still order the truck. Perhaps Ram changed their timeline?

So question still stands, any good reason to wait for the 2020?

Other than a number changing on the title, nope. Unless you want the updated tailgate maybe?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been watching the new Ram 1500s for quite a while now and have finally decided I need a new truck. I had been waiting for the new tailgate but after more research decided I didn't want the ram boxes which it seems are a forced option. I then was informed by the dealer that I can't order the 2019 e-torque with the sunroof. I'm looking for the following build now:

Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
Laramie Sport
Granite Crystal
3.21 Rear
Level 2 equipment
Advanced Safety Group
12 inch display
Sunroof
Bed utility group
Wheelhouse Liners
20 inch polished wheels

So my question is, should I wait for the 2020 if I'm doing a custom order, or just go ahead with the 2019? I don't have to have the truck right now, but am concerned that the incentives on the new model are going to be less desirable. Any suggestions from others who have purchased a vehicle near the model year boundary? Any ideas on how much more it will cost me if I wait? Right now the dealers are offering me about 10k off sticker.

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, if so point me in the right direction and I'll move my question.

Mike

You should be able to do better than $10k off sticker. I got over $14k off on mine.

Restrewa

Reaction score

Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
Laramie Sport
Granite Crystal
3.21 Rear
Level 2 equipment
Advanced Safety Group
12 inch display
Sunroof
Bed utility group
Wheelhouse Liners
20 inch polished wheels

Mike
Hello Trueblood,

I am in the same situation. However many dealer I have contacted are still telling me that they can not order a 2019 Laramie 4x4, 5’7” bed, eTorque, pano sunroof, Black appearance patacoada...etc. They are saying it will only be available for MY 2020.
Were you able to place your order? From what dealer? Please let me know. Thank you

Trueblood

Reaction score
You should be able to do better than $10k off sticker. I got over $14k off on mine.
They are telling me its because its a custom build and not one on the lot they need to move. Was yours already on the lot or are they lying to me?

Trueblood

Reaction score
Hello Trueblood,

I am in the same situation. However many dealer I have contacted are still telling me that they can not order a 2019 Laramie 4x4, 5’7” bed, eTorque, pano sunroof, Black appearance patacoada...etc. They are saying it will only be available for MY 2020.
Were you able to place your order? From what dealer? Please let me know. Thank you
I haven't found anyone who says they can get the eTorque with the sunroof. I was going to give up the eTorque after I did the math and it seems like it will take a long time to make up the difference in price. I'm currently working deals with the local dealers to see if I can get an acceptable price so I still don't have one on order.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are telling me its because its a custom build and not one on the lot they need to move. Was yours already on the lot or are they lying to me?

On the lot. I got lucky it had every option I wanted and now I didn’t, although in hind sight I would not get the eTorque motor again. It doesn’t help has at all and the regen braking is very annoying.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want a truck within the next 3 months you’re looking at a 2019. If production of the 2020 begins on July 22nd I wouldn’t expect ordered trucks to show up at dealerships until very late August or more likely September.

Of course we don’t yet know for sure what features the 2020 may have. So if you have something special on your wish list, maybe it pays to wait to see if it materializes.

I would think that incentives on the 2019s will jump once the 2020s start hitting the dealerships and that incentives on 2020s will be initially slim.

KcRay

Reaction score
WHAT IS THE NIGHT PACKAGE ?

Gond1

Reaction score
The only difference will be the tailgate. No vehicle has major changes 1 year into production.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Wait. Even if no changes occur, you'll still have a logically 1 model year newer truck, making it more valuable in you need to sell or trade.

Skip etorque. I was fortunate enough to have RAM buy back my first that had it. I was able to custom order my replacement and getting rid of etorque had been an absolute blessing. That regen braking is horrible. I hated the etorque. Constantly turned it off. Just my opinion.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Skip etorque. I was fortunate enough to have RAM buy back my first that had it. I was able to custom order my replacement and getting rid of etorque had been an absolute blessing. That regen braking is horrible. I hated the etorque. Constantly turned it off. Just my opinion.
I agree on waiting (if the OP is in no hurry). I completely disagree on these eTorque comments. It’s been a flawless system on my Longhorn.

Oxbow9

Reaction score
I am also debating whether to order now or wait. I don’t have to have it within next couple months but would be ideal. Not overly concerned about difference in resell between 2019/2020, more so first year reliability matters. Previous post notes possibility of improvements/updates. Are most issues (other than recall matters) dealt with as they go and as soon as fix is identified or do they often hold off until new model year? Imagine it may depend on the issue but for the most part? Seems many of the problems may have to do with quality on the assembly line rather than parts so my thought has been that improves with time and waiting a few more months for 2020 likely would not make much of a difference..

jastevenson

Reaction score
From a reliability standpoint, the last 2019 model and the first 2020 model off the assembly line makes no difference. Changes are made on an ongoing fashion, so there ARE significant differences between a truck made early vs late in the same model year.

Equipment/features do differ from model year to model year, even on trucks built one day apart. But reliability makes no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/