5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinions, Keep or Trade?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me, you really should be trading up when more interesting or better options pop up, the 2023 RAM could be that vehicle, plus hopefully the current market has cooled down a bit by then to something more reasonable.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me, you really should be trading up when more interesting or better options pop up, the 2023 RAM could be that vehicle, plus hopefully the current market has cooled down a bit by then to something more reasonable.
Personally, I think when they debut the 2024 electric Ram and the big three all have one, it might be easier to get the gassers (and get get good deals on them) since people will be on a waiting list for the electrics instead of just buying stuff right away/up front.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I think when they debut the 2024 electric Ram and the big three all have one, it might be easier to get the gassers (and get get good deals on them, since people will be on a waiting list for the electrics instead of just buying stuff right away/up front).
I was all about the ‘24 electric, then I had an epiphony that our infrastructure is a decade or more away from making electric trucks viable. I chose diesel instead for that reason.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was all about the ‘24 electric, then I had an epiphony that our infrastructure is a decade or more away from making electric trucks viable. I chose diesel instead for that reason.
That is exactly the issue, electric vehicles themselves are ready for prime time (or pretty close to it) but unless someone can snap their fingers and magically replace half the gas pumps in the entire country with turbocharging stations...

Also, I've seen some people postulate that electric is kind of a go-between anyway, and that other types of much more efficient fuel are on the horizon.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of on the other side of the fence, I trade every year and I should have the next one in 2 to 3 weeks. Not terribly fiscally responsible but it could be that I'm 70 and senile.
That truck’s barely broken in after a year of driving back and forth to Bob Evan’s.

😝

CMil527

Reaction score
I would wait a bit.. the vehicle market is totally unstable at the moment!

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I would wait a bit.. the vehicle market is totally unstable at the moment!
That is true, but there are still a few dealers offering decent discounts. Trade in values are at an all time high, which in my case more than made up for the lack of deep discounts.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep good time to sell… mostly a terrible time to buy. Nows the time to offload those spare vehicles I know I did but I sure as hell wouldn’t be buying anything with the market the way it is right now unless gasp a widebody scat pack for a good price popped up lol. There’s still deals out there but they seem to be slim pickings seems only a few dealers are budging off MSRP if not tackling on some “regional adjustment fee” bs just to charge above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep good time to sell… mostly a terrible time to buy. Nows the time to offload those spare vehicles I know I did but I sure as hell wouldn’t be buying anything with the market the way it is right now unless gasp a widebody scat pack for a good price popped up lol. There’s still deals out there but they seem to be slim pickings seems only a few dealers are budging off MSRP if not tackling on some “regional adjustment fee” bs just to charge above that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Dealer markup aside, it all evens out so I’m not sure why people are thinking it’s a terrible time to buy. If I get $10k more for trade-in than I would have in normal times, but don’t get a $10k discount off msrp, what’s the difference?

The only problem would come when the next financial crisis happens and the bottom drops out. With manufacturers openly saying they’ll throttle supply so demand (and profits) stay high, the scenario I mentioned above will be the new norm.

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
There are a few dealers out there still offering 3-5% below invoice if you do decide to go for something new. Personally, at this stage in the game, I would wait and order a 2023 if you are thinking of making a change. Could be a significant refresh.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Keep it, get Katzkin leather installed. You don't want a Covid Laramie for $61k that's missing options

gpbst3

Reaction score
Shiny red ball. After a while the shine wears off and all you have is a red ball. You are gaining very little but paying more. I could see if you were going to a new body style or some major upgrades for towing etc. To do it just to do it with a truck that has treated you right seems silly.

That covid bubble you speak of sounds nice but I think its all a wash in the end. Your trade may be worth 6k more but your going to pay at least 6k more on the new truck.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is exactly the issue, electric vehicles themselves are ready for prime time (or pretty close to it) but unless someone can snap their fingers and magically replace half the gas pumps in the entire country with turbocharging stations...
Electric truck batteries aren’t close to ready for prime time yet.

Only getting a ~150 mile range towing AND needing 45 mins to recharge then rinse, repeat; means no family cross-country road trips.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Only getting a ~150 mile range towing AND needing 45 mins to recharge then rinse, repeat; means no family cross-country road trips.
Well that's a pretty specific use case. Certainly not uncommon but I just mean for general usage they are solid, getting into the 400+ mile range and turbocharges getting you from 10 to 90 in ~30 minutes. The majority of road trips are not done with trailers.

But I don't disagree with you, the idea that electrics could replace ALL vehicles for all purposes within the next 10 years or so is silly. And again, even with the no-trailer road trip thing, there's still not nearly enough charging stations.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Absolutely, they aren't ready for towing when it comes to range. But they likely to be fine for the casual truck owners who mostly use them as daily drivers, which I think if we are honest, is probably a big chunk of those buying them.

I will say this, I would love a plug-in hybrid. One I could plug-in and get 20-40 miles of range before the gas engine has to kick in, that would fix the biggest causes of bad mpg with trucks, the short range city trips. You would still have a gas engine (hopefully a V8, but likely a V6) to tow and have long range with. This is the direction they should go before electric.

I watched Trail Recon (on Youtube) who bought a Wrangler 4XE. He went off-road on a pretty descent trail, over 10 miles before he the Wrangler had to switch over to gas, it was pretty impressive actually. The range of course is more than double on the street.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Absolutely, they aren't ready for towing when it comes to range. But they likely to be fine for the casual truck owners who mostly use them as daily drivers, which I think if we are honest, is probably a big chunk of those buying them.

I will say this, I would love a plug-in hybrid. One I could plug-in and get 20-40 miles of range before the gas engine has to kick in, that would fix the biggest causes of bad mpg with trucks, the short range city trips. You would still have a gas engine (hopefully a V8, but likely a V6) to tow and have long range with. This is the direction they should go before electric.

I watched Trail Recon (on Youtube) who bought a Wrangler 4XE. He went off-road on a pretty descent trail, over 10 miles before he the Wrangler had to switch over to gas, it was pretty impressive actually. The range of course is more than double on the street.
Well I think there is talk of Rams getting a beefier version of the plug-in hybrid powertrain the new Cherokees are getting.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Well I think there is talk of Rams getting a beefier version of the plug-in hybrid powertrain the new Cherokees are getting.

That would be awesome. I plan on keeping my Rebel until the next big step in drivetrain evolution is solid, it could be coming sooner than I thought if I can get a plug-in type hybrid that can go full electric for shorter drivers, but still get a strong gas engine for longer range.

Users who are viewing this thread