5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Open tailgate if key fob is dead

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just thinking. I know how to start the truck, but how would you open the tailgate? How would one do this?
Thanks

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Just thinking. I know how to start the truck, but how would you open the tailgate? How would one do this?
Thanks
Unlock the doors and then manually open the tailgate. Or unlock the doors and press the tailgate release button in the cab.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I’m not familiar with how to manually open the tailgate. I don’t think I have a button in the cab for the tailgate either. The tailgate release is an electronic button in the handle. Where would the manual release be?

thanks

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks
The tailgate release switch is live anytime the BCM recognizes the doors are unlocked. You would use the physical key inside the fob to unlock the driver door, hit the unlock button on the inside door switch, then the tailgate release switch on the handle will be live.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. I’m not familiar with how to manually open the tailgate. I don’t think I have a button in the cab for the tailgate either. The tailgate release is an electronic button in the handle. Where would the manual release be?

thanks
There is a button for the tailgate drop on the overhead console.
As for a manual release, I'm guessing there isn't one without removing the access panel on the tailgate.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
As for a manual release, I'm guessing there isn't one without removing the access panel on the tailgate.

Not all Rams have the button in the overhead console.

Techna

Reaction score

thanks
Unless the truck battery is also dead, the tailgate handle works like a mechanical/manual release when the doors are unlocked. Doesn’t matter if the fob is dead.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all Rams have the button in the overhead console.
Well my tradesman 2500 doesn't have a button, but it doesn't have the tailgate strut either.
I figured anything that had that strut would have the button inside.

KRField

Reaction score
If the fob is dead there is a valet key in the fob. Manually unlock the driver door, then power unlock the vehicle to unlock the tailgate.

If the truck battery is completely dead (ie. Door unlock doesn’t work) you will need to charge or replace the battery. Otherwise you have to remove the access panel on the tailgate and manually release each electronic actuator. This is for the 5th Gen 1500, I’m not sure if the HDs have an all electronic release actuator or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If the fob is dead there is a valet key in the fob. Manually unlock the driver door, then power unlock the vehicle to unlock the tailgate.

If the truck battery is completely dead (ie. Door unlock doesn’t work) you will need to charge or replace the battery. Otherwise you have to remove the access panel on the tailgate and manually release each electronic actuator. This is for the 5th Gen 1500, I’m not sure if the HDs have an all electronic release actuator or not.

Interesting if you have a tonneau that opens from inside the bed (aka tailgate open). Makes me wonder how easy it is to "jump" the tailgate wires/harness in a power failure OR for the more dedicated thieves to gain access to your bed.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Well my tradesman 2500 doesn't have a button, but it doesn't have the tailgate strut either.

Nope, I have the strut and an almost fully loaded Rebel with no button in the overhead console for the tailgate.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The HDs are all electronic.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, I have the strut and an almost fully loaded Rebel with no button in the overhead console for the tailgate.
Seems kinda stupid to me for trucks that left the factory with the tailgate damper, every car out there has a release button inside but a 40k+ truck doesn't when it should...
I guess my wife's Durango doesn't have a hatch button but it's not power open either.

Chopperbobby

Reaction score

Nope

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I tested it. As long as the doors are unlocked and the truck battery isn’t dead I can open the tailgate. Thanks everyone

KRField

Reaction score
Interesting if you have a tonneau that opens from inside the bed (aka tailgate open). Makes me wonder how easy it is to "jump" the tailgate wires/harness in a power failure OR for the more dedicated thieves to gain access to your bed.

They would have to know the precise wire schematics and routing to the tailgate. They are not going through that trouble. They would more than likely just cut/break the tonneau cover, or bust a window.

There are 2 wires to the driver side actuator and 3 to the passenger side. The passenger 3rd wire signals CHSML/bed lights/tailgate ajar.

Ironically I have been in there more than I want over the last 3 months. I was having intermittent issues with the tailgate ajar light on with the bed shut. The driver side would lock, but the passenger actuator wouldn’t. After multiple removal of actuator,cleanings, and lubing I bought a new one.

The new one (updated P/N) cured the need to apply pressure on the tailgate to open, and closing with force to get both actuators to lock. Which I originally though was due to my tonneau cover rails applying pressure on the tailgate. Once replaced it has never been smoother. Tap the button it drops, and the lightest touch it locks.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Old thread, I know, but lately the tailgate latch on my 2020 Laramie Longhorn with MFT (multi-function tailgate) has been going dead on me. The 12V battery is fully charged, the keyfob battery is fine, all of the other locks unlock with the keyfob just fine, but the tailgate latch is completely dead, no click in the latch at all.
Only solution is to disconnect the 12V battery ground cable, wait ~20 minutes, reconnect 12V battery, then the tailgate electronic latch works properly, both for normal drop-down and barn-door unlatch. Keyfob-actuated dropdown also works. Disconnecting the 12V ground for a few seconds and putting it back on doesn't work, the 12V battery has to be disconnected for several minutes. Highly annoying that Ram didn't include a manual method of opening the tailgate when the electronic latch isn't working. As one poster pointed out, really bad if one has a tonneau cover.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Not all trucks have this. I think it's Laramie and above, and depends on option package

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not all trucks have this. I think it's Laramie and above, and depends on option package
In my case, keyfob works fine, all the other locks work fine (doors, Ram boxes) only issue is the electronic latch itself on the tailgate responds to nothing until 12V battery has been disconnected for several minutes then reconnected.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread