5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oops, I broke it

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a pretty good reason, lol

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have cracked or broken plastic parts being a little to harsh before. Recently I was working on my seat and when I took the front bolt cover off I broke the bottom plastic pocket the metal clip goes into.

Anyway, this UV light hardening goop really does a good job on repairs. If it is in an area you do not see it works great. It has to get the light to work so it goes on top not in the joint like glue. I used the Bondic product on Amazon. I would think there are others too. Worked great here and for other repairs.

Just an option.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have cracked or broken plastic parts being a little to harsh before. Recently I was working on my seat and when I took the front bolt cover off I broke the bottom plastic pocket the metal clip goes into.

Anyway, this UV light hardening goop really does a good job on repairs. If it is in an area you do not see it works great. It has to get the light to work so it goes on top not in the joint like glue. I used the Bondic product on Amazon. I would think there are others too. Worked great here and for other repairs.

Just an option.
I put my neighbor's mirror back on his car using this because the plastic parts that the bolts screw into broke when he hit his garbage can. It's still on there 6 months later.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Just an option.
That’s pretty cool. It’s about time they came out with a better solution than having to buy all the different plastic welding rods. Although admittedly, I haven’t messed with plastic welding for a number of years.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
That’s pretty cool. It’s about time they came out with a better solution than having to buy all the different plastic welding rods. Although admittedly, I haven’t messed with plastic welding for a number of years.
It is far from perfect but for the backside of a trim piece that you never see it does great. I built up a few layers and was good.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It is far from perfect but for the backside of a trim piece that you never see it does great. I built up a few layers and was good.
I've used Bondic a few times and it's always been god aweful with 0 holding power.
I even tried my own UV light one time.
Always plastic to plastic.

Interesting that someone else was able to get it to work, how much did you put on before you tried to cure it?
I still have majority of a tube downstairs.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I've used Bondic a few times and it's always been god aweful with 0 holding power.
I even tried my own UV light one time.
Always plastic to plastic.

Interesting that someone else was able to get it to work, how much did you put on before you tried to cure it?
I still have majority of a tube downstairs.
Just a thin layer. Not really sure how thick. One thing I used it on was odd shaped and kind of in a corner so I an sure it was thick there. Another part was flat. I just clamped the part where I needed it and layered it on letting the light do its thing until cured. I am sure I held the light on longer than the instructions said though. Also, the Bondic bridges the break rather than holding the pieces together like glue.

Seemed to work for the couple trim pieces I used it on.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I never did find a replacement. Did 3D printing turn out to be an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't look assuming you'd be able to find a replacement. Getting a new windshield today, but I'll see if I can pull the door panel this weekend. I'm thinking it may be an entire assembly, but I could possibly just print the piece you broke and you can epoxy/JB Weld it.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Promise I haven't forgotten this. With it being 95-105 deg here every day I've been reluctant to get out there and pull the door panel off. I will try to find some time this weekend to take a look.

Handmeawrench

Reaction score
Promise I haven't forgotten this. With it being 95-105 deg here every day I've been reluctant to get out there and pull the door panel off. I will try to find some time this weekend to take a look.

1) I’m not in a hurry at all.
2) I’m grateful you even offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could you just use a good zip tie? maybe one with the metal tooth to bite stronger.

61U8Hxi6bIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So yeah like your original picture shows, the whole piece is an assembly. My Rebel conveniently has it colored red so you can see the whole thing. I'm not sure if just taking those torx screws out pops it out as I didn't try it, but the part you broke is in the second picture. Do you know how much you broke off or have a picture of it? Printing the whole piece not only wouldn't match your trim, but it would be a little too much of a feat for my CAD ability and printer without a 3D scanner. I could possibly print the little clamp and you could glue it though.
1656346250905.png
1656346270124.png

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The zip tie might work depending on where it broke and if you could cut/melt a hole for the tie to go through.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the way, pulling the panel off really makes me want to completely strip my stereo and put in quality speakers... Can't believe companies can legally get away with calling these "Harmon Kardon" with the sh!t that's in there.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They also make cable ties with blocks, you can put on the screw.

HellermannTyton CTAM1 Cable Tie Anchor Mount | Waytek
Amazon.com: Electriduct 4 Nylon Mounting Cable Ties Plastic Mount Head Screw  Zip Ties - 18 lbs - 100 Pack - Black : Electronics
Screw Down Cable Clip with Cable Tie Slot - 3 Sizes by sneaks - Thingiverse

That would probably work to hold it well enough.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep us updated. I have a few ideas on what I could make depending on where you broke it. I could make something that slips over or clips onto those edges that you could then glue/heat weld on.

Users who are viewing this thread