5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onboard air install - - - final piece is here

Jordan2929

Reaction score
That's a lot of real-estate for one tire. Looks like the mount is bolted down, so how do you fit stuff back there?

Cool look though.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I put a good amount of thought into anything I design/mod/fabricate so this was no different. The Rebel bed is smaller than the bed on our 2500. The spare tire mount is relatively easy to remove when we need the room like for when me and the wifey go out to the desert and go shooting. I used two steel plates that are 1/2" wide and runs the length of the mounting holes for the front and rear "feet" for the and welded 4 nuts to the plate. The bolt head in the pix that sits in the lower portion of the bed ridge holds the plate in place. So when I wanna remove it, I'll unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the mount to the underside of the bed and then I can remove it. The four lower sitting bolts won't be removed (I covered those in 2 coats of red loctite) and the plate will stay in position under the bed, ready to be used again when I wanna reinstall the spare tire mount.

Bringing into account that this bed is crazy small and couple that with the 6" lift, if I need to go to Depot or pick up something that wouldn't fit in, I'll hook up my 20' enclosed to handle the task.

To avert any potential theft (I had this same setup for 20 months with no probs) the wheel is locked to the mount with a steel cable and padlock. In addition, the manufacturer supplied a 32mm nut that is under the top threaded hold down which holds the plastic centering gizmo so the wheel doesn't move. So if someone wants to swipe my spare, they'll have to not only have some sort of cutters but a gargantuan crescent wrench, try to pull it off relatively on the DL and if it's in front of my house, not alert my 105 pound American Bulldog which will allow me sufficient time to confront the thief with one of my 2A items. Worst case, I got insurance. 20181020_153214.jpg 20181020_155213.jpg 20181020_155147.jpg

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I can appreciate a well thought out design, glad to hear you didn’t just drill some holes and bolt it to the bed. You took the time and thought through it to make a solid system that works for you. I took the same approach with my light bar mount, spent time on my design so I didn’t have to drill any holes, just uses factory fasteners.

Great looking build

jamesfg

Reaction score
I can appreciate a well thought out design, glad to hear you didn’t just drill some holes and bolt it to the bed. You took the time and thought through it to make a solid system that works for you. I took the same approach with my light bar mount, spent time on my design so I didn’t have to drill any holes, just uses factory fasteners.

Great looking build

Yezzir, I remember your post and enjoy seeing mods (like yours) that we do that are outside of norm, require some thought process other than an installation sheet and execute to perfection. To me, when you pull something off and people are like how did you do that or it looks factory, you have succeeded.

jamesfg

Reaction score
I have a small idea of what I wanna do so this is total winging it. Results later....I think, I hope. 20181102_161745.jpg 20181102_161751.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Gonna use that small cubby hole area for the gauge and switches. Didn't think removing the phone holder was a good idea even tho the wife wouldn't mind if I removed it. 20181102_195353.jpg

Jordan2929

Reaction score
When taking out the center console did you notice anything weird about the rear ac vent ducting? There’s pretty bad flow and if you noticed anything odd maybe there could be a fix.
Oh, and that’s probably the best spot for your oba controls, out of sight but still easy enough to get to when you need it.

jamesfg

Reaction score
When taking out the center console did you notice anything weird about the rear ac vent ducting? There’s pretty bad flow and if you noticed anything odd maybe there could be a fix.

It's pretty much straight forward

20181102_234035.jpg

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great work so far, and thanks for the pics especially. Did you have instructions for removing the center console or did you just tear in? I’m sure many will follow your path to install all kinds of things in there...

jamesfg

Reaction score
I just started unscrewing bolts and screws until it loosened up and I could remove it.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Horns won't fit behind the grill without some serious work so split 'em and gonna mount 'em to the frame rails....
20181104_180944.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Was going to mount these behind the grill like on the previous truck but there is not alot of room so the frame rails will suffice.
20181105_223439.jpg 20181105_223416.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Compressors wired, two valves wired and made brackets to relocate the air filters up high at the bottom of the bed so they wont get any water in them. 20181106_231202.jpg 20181106_231209.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread