5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Onboard air install - - - final piece is here

jamesfg

Reaction score
I'm a kinda wing it type of modifier. I'll take stuff apart and engineer on the fly. Putting OBA was gravy on the old 2500 but this truck.....this is going to require some engineering feats. First off the spare tire mount has to go (I'm going to go with either a bed mount or mount it in our enclosed trailer but no worries we got AAA) and the exhaust heat shields are gonna meet the garbage can too. Now on the 2500 I mounted the compressors on each side of the frame rail between the tire and bumper. I might be able to get one mounted on the pass side but drivers side is going to be a no go as there is too much electronics there. The tanks fit in between the frame rails so that's a good sign. Thinking of a thick 2" square of stock to weld back in to restore east/west rigidity. This may not be for the faint of heart, ya know cutting into a brand new 50k truck but OBA is a necessity for me. I use it when we take our quads out to the desert, for my track bike when I go racing, for the helper bags (tackle that after the lift is put in) and most importantly......air horns. Onto the pix and I'll update as I go along. 20180905_201030.jpg

20180905_201030.jpg 20180905_200626.jpg 20180905_200628.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Lots of thought but I'm contemplating making a rack, assembling everything on the bench then bolting it in.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I'm a kinda wing it type of modifier. I'll take stuff apart and engineer on the fly. Putting OBA was gravy on the old 2500 but this truck.....this is going to require some engineering feats. First off the spare tire mount has to go (I'm going to go with either a bed mount or mount it in our enclosed trailer but no worries we got AAA) and the exhaust heat shields are gonna meet the garbage can too. Now on the 2500 I mounted the compressors on each side of the frame rail between the tire and bumper. I might be able to get one mounted on the pass side but drivers side is going to be a no go as there is too much electronics there. The tanks fit in between the frame rails so that's a good sign. Thinking of a thick 2" square of stock to weld back in to restore east/west rigidity. This may not be for the faint of heart, ya know cutting into a brand new 50k truck but OBA is a necessity for me. I use it when we take our quads out to the desert, for my track bike when I go racing, for the helper bags (tackle that after the lift is put in) and most importantly......air horns. Onto the pix and I'll update as I go along. View attachment 4279

View attachment 4279 View attachment 4280 View attachment 4281
Sweet... Can't wait to see finished product.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Had to change some mounting bracket locations but I'm ready to start assembly on the bench
20180922_171303.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
Time to see if my measurements are on. Mock assembly before I start putting lock tite on the fasteners
20180923_130322.jpg

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
So your getting rid of the spare tire ? Was wanting to get a train horn kit and curious about mounting locations

jamesfg

Reaction score
I've got a prerunner type mount that I took off the 2500 to relocate the spare to the bed. There is minimal to nill room to mount a tank and compressor underneath. I had way more room underneath the 17 2500, I was able to hang the compressors between the tire and bumper this one not so much. Too much electronics and not enuff room.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Need to run to the auto parts store and grab some radiator hose clamps to mount the valves.
20180923_201448.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
I had to reconfigure more times than anticipated. Stupid exhaust was in the way and had to come up with a new way to mount. Next after I get this buttoned up is start the wiring process, which is a royal pain in the backside.

Mr.Gigglez

Reaction score
Jeebus ... would it be a bit easier if u separated the tanks and mounted them elsewhere . I kno that's not an ideal install but with limited space was there any other options ? I'm gonna thro my truck up on the rack tomorrow and figure some things out for that train horn

jamesfg

Reaction score
I had this set up on our 17 2500 and there was alot more room. I mounted the compressors between the wheel and the bumper area but couldn't do it on the 1500 as there is a electrical connector on the drivers side and no room to tuck it up there nice and tidy. Me and my buddy spent a good hour trying to come up with the easiest solution.

This is it under the 2500.

20170601_202337.jpg

jamesfg

Reaction score
All the plumbing is done for now until the lift goes in. Also I've gotta mount my pre runner spare mount before I mount this up then comes the fun part....wiring.
20180929_100741.jpg 20180929_100826.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread