5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ole girl pics

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Hey all great looking new forum. Briefly my scoop I bought a 14 Ram ED ended up contracting to deliver Airstreams then other TTs & boats taking them from the Mfgs to dealerships nationwide. Normally you would select an HD diesel but as I already had it and AS are only bumper pulls its worked. Just took this pic.

095077A3-CD87-40DF-A77C-6BA502E8F7FD.jpeg A3E48A8E-634D-423E-A024-2112F9546572.jpeg 092D23E9-5F23-4987-9F7D-FDA3F54C936B.jpeg B7A00A08-08E1-4F23-AAB0-DDCC6FD22327.jpeg C0311AC6-D79A-40A6-88DC-F4266134724A.jpeg F075F1B6-5E52-4890-BC45-0DB956054B75.jpeg

Yeah so she runs all day every day much like an owner operator semi truck. Anyway I’m sure one day I’ll get either a .5th gen ED or HD Cummins.

Attachments

• 8C705199-0F90-4A78-9A22-A263B83700D6.jpeg
    8C705199-0F90-4A78-9A22-A263B83700D6.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums! Thats awesome, truck looks like its put in a lot of good miles for you, how has the EcoDiesel been reliability wise?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Reliability has been good. At least IMO & relative to how it’s been worked. I bought a GDE tune to turn off EGR & better manage regens. Think that’s helped a lot with both longevity & emissions. Also bought cheap easy 2 button Bosch OBD 1000 scan tool to read & clear codes. This allows you to take care of minor issues when convenient instead of being stuck in limp home mode & or going to the dealership. IMO Both have helped to make it a more reliable & cost effective long term ownership experience.

It’s had & they have issues which I can detail but the day to day always starts runs clean smooth & fuel efficient and really impresses me.

It’s only major component failure was at 371k when it pushed out a head gasket. Considering how it was used I don’t feel shorted. Heck even lots of Cummins found themselves on a bone pile before that for one reason or another. I chose not to fix it but rather to replace it. I was able to acquire a new complete engine including fuel pump & turbo for only $5,500 including 24 month unlimited mileage warranty. Quite valuable to me. Basic R&R book hours at non coastal rates takes about $1,500. Was only without the truck for two days.

Last edited:

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Very impressive, sounds like it's been a great truck, it's nice hearing those kinds of stories. Glad that it has served you well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome @VernDiesel

Love seeing Rams hauling travel trailers.

And i would say that is a pretty awesome engine to plow through that many miles being used awesome awesome truck.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
The Airstream was a 30' floorplan Classic at 7,600 pounds. I've since moved 33 Classics to 8,700 pounds. Truck is rated to tow 8,800. The 33' floorplan Forrest River Wildcat Maxx had 3 slides and weighed 9,086 and the boat about 9k with a bedload of four rims and tires plus tools. CVW on the last two if memory serves me were 15,800 & 15,600. Max CVWR on the 4th gen is 15,950. Also day to day tows are normally like 6k.

They all went out of state and over 6 percent grades. I used a WDH with built in sway control on the two TTs and all loads benefited from axle to frame air bag set ups for suspension control & dampening (not sag relief) plus a tune with engine/turbo brake compliments of the tune and factory trailer brake controller. Well and 31.9" XL load tires & a free flowing Tradesman grill. Using CAT scales to set up your load to replace your unloaded steer weight and get your tongue weight close as you can to 12 percent is best for the safest most stable tow with full braking traction. Max drive axle weight was only slightly exceeded as was GVW. They were all heavy but trailed well with no wind, braking, or issues of any kind except that climb speed needed to be limited to 50-55 to keep cool in the south Cali heat. Well in some of these cases it wouldn't climb any faster than that either.

Axle and tongue weights are key. I have helped people take much lesser loads from the proverbial "white knuckle rides" to safe stable and in Mfg spec without removing any weight just weight redistribution from hitch and loading. After which they were stable and would only move more as one unit instead of pushed and sucked into a wiggle and sway by the bow wave of a close passing semi.

People talk about aftermarket rims tires sway bars bump stops springs brochure or static tongue weights payload stickers and all of those things can help incrementally. But the best most important thing is getting your axle and tongue weights in spec. The CAT scale is the only way to do this concretely. It sees what eyes and measurements can't always see. Plus CVW combined vehicle weight, GVW gross vehicle weight, actual seen after WDH tongue weight etc. CAT has a free app & GPS locator for your phone. Cost is usually about $12 and $2 per additional weigh. If you want to tow your family safely and or maximize the safe reliable use of your equipment stop guessing and use a scale.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread