5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Life System

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That might be something to check out! Mine still has a bit of amber (and is still dead-on full) after 6-7K, and I’ll bet it’s the same at the 1-year mark when I change it next month. You doing a lot of driving in nasty conditions? Or heavy towing?
This was after driving highway about 200 miles per week during the Las Vegas summer where it was about 112°F almost every day...maybe that contributed to the issue..?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Taking into account rounding error, all above seems like evidence for the simplistic, mileage-only formula. But who knows, maybe their idea of duty cycle includes idle-time ...

PUP = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. BTW, who sells this? I can’t find the Ultra version anywhere locally...
I have not found PUP on any store shelves. I have ordered it through Walmart.

Dave07

Reaction score
I had the current gen F150 and the wife a new model Silverado, all the oil life systems I think are similar, I haven't seen a time component in either of them.

Maybe in a specific type model or engine?

It definitely had a time based factor in my 2013 Mustang and 2015 Silverado. Next time you let your vehicle sit for a week or so, check your oil life before and after. It should tick down when you don’t drive it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It definitely had a time based factor in my 2013 Mustang and 2015 Silverado. Next time you let your vehicle sit for a week or so, check your oil life before and after. It should tick down when you don’t drive it.

That's interesting, I wonder if it would time out at 1 year regardless of miles?

But our Silverado sat for probably 3 weeks last month, and its meter stayed the same. I know because I was fixing to do it's first oil change, and the life meter is still where it was a few weeks ago.

My 2015 F150 would sit for a week or two, I never notice it advance while sitting.

Jako

Reaction score

My 2016 BMW K1300S motorcycle has the time also.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting, I wonder if it would time out at 1 year regardless of miles?

But our Silverado sat for probably 3 weeks last month, and its meter stayed the same. I know because I was fixing to do it's first oil change, and the life meter is still where it was a few weeks ago.

My 2015 F150 would sit for a week or two, I never notice it advance while sitting.
Obviously not, at least in the case of the Ram (see my own 1-year example above).

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t make a screen-shot to prove it, but at 4600 total miles my oil life was at 29%. I did subject my truck to 2400 miles of severe towing duty in the later part of that.. My guess is it’s probably several factors, but primarily fuel consumption. I burned over 300 gallons on that trip..
I stand corrected. I guess there is something more in the calculation...maybe idle time or temperature. I can’t get mine to do otherwise...after 2.5k of towing in 7.5k, averaging 10-14 towing and 19 not, you would think it would have gone down more than 75%. Now at 9.5k total, Ive got 6 hrs idle time & ~250hr driving.

ClancyO

Reaction score
If it helps any I was right up on the limits. ~9800lbs on the trailer, ~7000 on the truck. 7 - 8.6 mpg, 60-72 mph most of the trip. I’ve actually debated changing the tranny fluid too, but the highest temp I saw there was 199. And I used tow mode for all but perhaps 1 or 2 of those 2400 miles (and only because I forgot to activate it after a gas stop).

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't even think I bothered to reset my oil life monitor after my last oil change about 900 miles ago lol.

EEnginerd

Reaction score
If it helps any I was right up on the limits. ~9800lbs on the trailer, ~7000 on the truck. 7 - 8.6 mpg, 60-72 mph most of the trip. I’ve actually debated changing the tranny fluid too, but the highest temp I saw there was 199. And I used tow mode for all but perhaps 1 or 2 of those 2400 miles (and only because I forgot to activate it after a gas stop).
Lol. Sounds like you needed to buy the 2500 (or bigger) instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online