5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Life System

Dave07

Reaction score
Question - does anyone know if the oil life system accounts for time? With me not driving much during COVID, I most likely won’t hit the 10,000 miles between oil changes. I will most likely be changing at a year. However, I can’t recall when I changed the oil last and was wondering if the oil life system will let me know when a year is up? Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Question - does anyone know if the oil life system accounts for time? With me not driving much during COVID, I most likely won’t hit the 10,000 miles between oil changes. I will most likely be changing at a year. However, I can’t recall when I changed the oil last and was wondering if the oil life system will let me know when a year is up? Does anyone know?

No, it will not tell you “when”. I change mine annually (~7K miles) and keep meticulous records to ensure my extended warranty is safe.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you make the oil change yourself, bring it to a dealer or a quick oil change place, if done yourself you may still have your receipts for the oil and filter, check your credit card statements, if your get it done at a dealer or quick change, give that place a call they usually keep records, come to think of it those places usually place a sticker on your windshield.
My trick for remembering, is that I keep a spare oil filter and write the date, the mileage and type of oil used on the box, the box often has a place to write the info.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The oil system is based on use, not time. It will adjust down quicker with more "severe" driving, takes into account temps, idle time, throttle, etc.

However, regardless of what the system says, you cannot go beyond 12 months in order to keep your warranty in tact, which is 5 yrs/60,000 for the powertain.

I do my own oil changes, I keep my records and receipts. However, since I average less than 5,000 miles a year, I remind myself to do it annually by putting a task on my Outlook/phone calendar about 1 month prior to 1 year, so I can buy supplies and get it done before the 12 month period. Once I'm out of warranty, I will go to my usual 5,000 mile or 2 year oil change schedule which I do with my older vehicles.

I have many older vehicles that get less than 500-1000 miles a year, I can easily push their oil changes to 2 years due to using high quality synthetics and living in a temperate zone, so the oil doesn't get fouled by condensation changes over time. I have oil analysis that show even 2 years is being conservative.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The oil system is based on use, not time. It will adjust down quicker with more "severe" driving, takes into account temps, idle time, throttle, etc.

However, regardless of what the system says, you cannot go beyond 12 months in order to keep your warranty in tact, which is 5 yrs/60,000 for the powertain.

I do my own oil changes, I keep my records and receipts. However, since I average less than 5,000 miles a year, I remind myself to do it annually by putting a task on my Outlook/phone calendar about 1 month prior to 1 year, so I can buy supplies and get it done before the 12 month period. Once I'm out of warranty, I will go to my usual 5,000 mile or 2 year oil change schedule which I do with my older vehicles.

I have many older vehicles that get less than 500-1000 miles a year, I can easily push their oil changes to 2 years due to using high quality synthetics and living in a temperate zone, so the oil doesn't get fouled by condensation changes over time. I have oil analysis that show even 2 years is being conservative.
Agreed that high quality oil / filter should go wayyy beyond 12 months in your low-mileage scenario. I feel just a bit hamstrung by my lifetime warranty.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Agreed that high quality oil / filter should go wayyy beyond 12 months in your low-mileage scenario. I feel just a bit hamstrung by my lifetime warranty.

I hear you on that, but it's worth it for a warranty like that.

Dave07

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! I believe I changed the oil in March of 2020. I do have records of the oil change but they are literally in the back of my closet with a crap ton of stuff in front of it (will have to dig for it).

I’m kind of surprised dodge didn’t put a time component on the oil change system. My Chevy and Ford both had a time component on the oil life system. If that’s my only complaint about the Ram, then oh well, lol!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! I believe I changed the oil in March of 2020. I do have records of the oil change but they are literally in the back of my closet with a crap ton of stuff in front of it (will have to dig for it).

I’m kind of surprised dodge didn’t put a time component on the oil change system. My Chevy and Ford both had a time component on the oil life system. If that’s my only complaint about the Ram, then oh well, lol!

I had the current gen F150 and the wife a new model Silverado, all the oil life systems I think are similar, I haven't seen a time component in either of them.

Maybe in a specific type model or engine?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the oil life readout is simply a declining 10,000 mile counter. % life remaining = ( 10,000 - miles driven )/ 100

i have seen no increase in rate of decline when towing a large percentage of time. At 2k, I changed the oil, and the readout showed 80% left (Zero towing and ave 19mpg). At 9400 mi, after 2500 mi of towing at 11-14mpg, and the balance mixed highway/city, it showed 6%. Load, temps, stress, etc had no discernible effect.

I would not assume it is any more sophisticated than that.

Change the oil and filter every 7500mi, use synthetic, and no matter how you drive, there’s little risk...

Jako

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the oil life readout is simply a declining 10,000 mile counter. % life remaining = ( 10,000 - miles driven )/ 100

i have seen no increase in rate of decline when towing a large percentage of time. At 2k, I changed the oil, and the readout showed 80% left (Zero towing and ave 19mpg). At 9400 mi, after 2500 mi of towing at 11-14mpg, and the balance mixed highway/city, it showed 6%. Load, temps, stress, etc had no discernible effect.

Change the oil and filter every 7500mi, use synthetic, and no matter how you drive, there’s little risk...
From https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/oil-change.15894/
Post 20

My mpg for my last oil change was 15.01 mpg in 1,363 miles. Like you I had a lot of cold weather starts and short trips and had my worst mpg of 10.38 mpg on my last tank (best 16.49). Calculating my oil life worked out to 7,000+ miles, very similar to your experience. This was with conventional oil.
I did an 893 mile trip bringing my son back to college. Minimal stops going and no stops coming back. The mpg (vehicle display) for the trip going was 21.2 (400 miles+, 1st tank of gas) and 20.7 coming back until I did some local driving which dropped it down to 20.3.
I had just changed the oil prior to this trip (full synthetic PUP). The oil life now reads 92%, which calculates to 11,163 miles oil life. I believe it is going to change any mile now as 91% would drop it down to 9.922 oil life, which is more in line with oil changes.
As per page 165 of the owner's manual:
The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent upon your personal driving style.

What exactly is measured and calculated in "duty cycle based" is unfamiliar to me. I do know my mpg goes down dramatically with cold weather starts and short trips and can watch it drop. I have just started to calculate the "oil life" with oil changes. With my current info it appears 7,000 - 10,000 miles. I'm sure it can be reduced just by being a city driver only. And although the math works out to 11,000+ miles as per above I am sure it will drop down shortly to 91% and 10,000- miles.
Summary:
7,000 mile oil life, conventional oil, distance 1400- miles, avg mpg 15, cold weather starts, short local trips.
10,000 mile oil life, full synthetic oil, distance 900- miles, avg mpg 20, minimal starts, highway.

I am interested to see if the full synthetic has an impact on my mpg with cold weather starts.

FYI if you want to read more.

Understanding the Ram Oil Change Indicator and Service Indicator Lights | YourMechanic Advice

Performing all scheduled and recommended maintenance on your Ram is imperative to keep it running well, so you can avoid the many untimely, inconvenient, and possibly expensive repairs that come from neglect. Luckily, the days of...
www.yourmechanic.com
www.yourmechanic.com

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck mostly sees city driving and 7-8K miles per year.

At my first oil change (3,017 miles), the OLM showed 69% remaining. At the second (10,188, or 7,171 miles later), it showed 25% remaining.

If we presume a linear scale, those project out to 9,733 and 9,561 miles, respectively.

Note: I’ve been running PUP and a Mobil 1 EP filter since that 3K oil change.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck mostly sees city driving and 7-8K miles per year.

At my first oil change (3,017 miles), the OLM showed 69% remaining. At the second (10,188, or 7,171 miles later), it showed 25% remaining.

If we presume a linear scale, those project out to 9,733 and 9,561 miles, respectively.

Note: I’ve been running PUP and a Mobil 1 EP filter since that 3K oil change.
What is PUP?

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Taking into account rounding error, all above seems like evidence for the simplistic, mileage-only formula. But who knows, maybe their idea of duty cycle includes idle-time ...

PUP = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. BTW, who sells this? I can’t find the Ultra version anywhere locally...

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Mine dropped dramatically after some extended city driving. Based on my calculations, I would have hit 10% at about 7,000 miles.

ClancyO

Reaction score

I didn’t make a screen-shot to prove it, but at 4600 total miles my oil life was at 29%. I did subject my truck to 2400 miles of severe towing duty in the later part of that.. My guess is it’s probably several factors, but primarily fuel consumption. I burned over 300 gallons on that trip..

ClancyO

Reaction score
I didn’t make a screen-shot to prove it, but at 4600 total miles my oil life was at 29%. I did subject my truck to 2400 miles of severe towing duty in the later part of that.. My guess is it’s probably several factors, but primarily fuel consumption. I burned over 300 gallons on that trip..

Actually, I do have an email. 4400 miles and 32%:

Attachments

• 5E66B07C-C225-45F2-913D-7BD8F07390B8.jpeg
    5E66B07C-C225-45F2-913D-7BD8F07390B8.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 12

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't put any faith in the oil % readout.
And personally...I don't go over 7k miles without changing the oil. Last oil change after about 6500 miles the Pennzoil Platinum I had in there came out pure black and was missing a quart. Do it once a year if you're not driving much or every 7k miles ..you'll be fine. Technology is great....but never perfect.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't put any faith in the oil % readout.
And personally...I don't go over 7k miles without changing the oil. Last oil change after about 6500 miles the Pennzoil Platinum I had in there came out pure black and was missing a quart. Do it once a year if you're not driving much or every 7k miles ..you'll be fine. Technology is great....but never perfect.
That might be something to check out! Mine still has a bit of amber (and is still dead-on full) after 6-7K, and I’ll bet it’s the same at the 1-year mark when I change it next month. You doing a lot of driving in nasty conditions? Or heavy towing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online