5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Leak??

cotonymopar

Reaction score
this is my 3rd hemi, and all have been leak free..... unless there is a problem... (2003) 203000 miles, (2012) 116000 miles on the second, (2019) 3000 miles on the new one

Nwono

Reaction score
Yours looks very dark - more like oil. Mine was greenish yellow and had a sticky/tacky feel. Ever since I wiped the small amount I still had on mine off last week, it has not returned. I think mine was either some kind of grease that would heat up and turn runny, or the excess transmission fluid getting spit out of the vent/breather hole as it heated up and expanded. Yours looks like motor oil, and I would definitely get it checked out. Mine reacted to UV light - might be a quick way to check yours at home, the oil should not react.
I might wait to see if it gets worse. If its the the rear main i wouldn't be against replacing it myself at my shop. The part is cheap enough. Flat rate techs concern me with a job like this on a vehicle with 300 miles that only has a small drip.

sky

Reaction score
Really hoping this is just some extra assembly oil weeping out. I noticed this the other day and wiped it and there is more there now.
yep same prob. took in 2 times and now they said they can't find it and they are going to replace the engine! I can take a lot of issues being all new ground up (I expect that) BUT a leak is one I can not stand, I have a 2006 with 118k that looks like new under the hood and under carrage.

sky

Reaction score
I just noticed this afternoon that i have some residue in the same location. How did the dealer end up handling the issue?
yep same prob. took in 2 times and now they said they can't find it and they are going to replace the engine! I can take a lot of issues being all new ground up (I expect that) BUT a leak is one I can not stand, I have a 2006 with 118k that looks like new under the hood and under carrage.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
You guys on this thread appear very knowledgeable about these trucks.

My 2019 Longhorn with only 3,000 miles on it has developed a leak. I found it by noticing oil drops on my driveway. I looked underneath the truck and found a very clear thin oil dripping off of the first skid plate (I have the off road group) by the driver's door.

What is in this area that would leak a clear thin oil?

I made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out.

Changed engine oil at around 2,000 miles. Checked the engine oil and it is dark enough not to be what is dripping.

Thanks!

20191114_174825.jpg

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
You guys on this thread appear very knowledgeable about these trucks.

My 2019 Longhorn with only 3,000 miles on it has developed a leak. I found it by noticing oil drops on my driveway. I looked underneath the truck and found a very clear thin oil dripping off of the first skid plate (I have the off road group) by the driver's door.

What is in this area that would leak a clear thin oil?

I made an appointment with the dealer to have it checked out.

Changed engine oil at around 2,000 miles. Checked the engine oil and it is dark enough not to be what is dripping.

Thanks!

View attachment 40063
Being the skid plate that covers the oil pan / steering area, I could see it being engine oil. Pulling the oil filter will make an absolute mess there after doing an oil change. I have to wipe mine down every single time the dealers do it as it will look the same.

However, I would check the front differential as well. It's easy to verify. Open the fill hole and stick your finger in, you should be able to feel the oil. It's a clear appearance as well. Since you said driver's side, might also be worthwhile to check the transfer case as well, since that is on the driver's side and also has a clear oil. Granted, it would more like be on the middle skid plate if that were what's leaking.

The transmission oil is a greenish-yellow color, might be worthwhile to wipe that down with a white paper towel to get an idea on the color. Be aware, you can't check the transmission oil like back in the good old days - that would require the dealer to pull the pan and make a huge mess.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Being the skid plate that covers the oil pan / steering area, I could see it being engine oil. Pulling the oil filter will make an absolute mess there after doing an oil change. I have to wipe mine down every single time the dealers do it as it will look the same.

However, I would check the front differential as well. It's easy to verify. Open the fill hole and stick your finger in, you should be able to feel the oil. It's a clear appearance as well. Since you said driver's side, might also be worthwhile to check the transfer case as well, since that is on the driver's side and also has a clear oil. Granted, it would more like be on the middle skid plate if that were what's leaking.

The transmission oil is a greenish-yellow color, might be worthwhile to wipe that down with a white paper towel to get an idea on the color. Be aware, you can't check the transmission oil like back in the good old days - that would require the dealer to pull the pan and make a huge mess.
Thanks for all the helpful advise. I had the engine oil changed back in June. If the dealer really did change it, (there was no sticker) I would think that any spilled oil would have subsided by now. The oil is very thin and clear so at least it doesn't look like it is coming from out of the engine.

I am concerned about the front differential however! I have been complaining to the dealer and the FCA area manager that my front diff is very noisy when in 4WD auto. I was told the noise is normal and not to use 4WD auto on dry pavement. I say BS to both of those statements! The owner's manual states that 4WD auto can be used on dry pavement. The front diff sounds dry to me.

As far as steering, is there hydraulic oil used in the electric steering system?

I wiped some of the oil off of the skid plate with my finger. It feels very thin and does appear clear.

This truck has been a complete ownership nightmare. There is over $15,000 worth of parts in it for warranty repairs so far at 3,000 miles. I'm not sure if that includes the $5,600 for the new rear differential. When will it end?

I guess I'll park it, so as not to damage anything by driving the truck and wait until my appointment at the dealer on the 26th.

Thanks very much for your input!

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful advise. I had the engine oil changed back in June. If the dealer really did change it, (there was no sticker) I would think that any spilled oil would have subsided by now. The oil is very thin and clear so at least it doesn't look like it is coming from out of the engine.

I am concerned about the front differential however! I have been complaining to the dealer and the FCA area manager that my front diff is very noisy when in 4WD auto. I was told the noise is normal and not to use 4WD auto on dry pavement. I say BS to both of those statements! The owner's manual states that 4WD auto can be used on dry pavement. The front diff sounds dry to me.

As far as steering, is there hydraulic oil used in the electric steering system?

I wiped some of the oil off of the skid plate with my finger. It feels very thin and does appear clear.

This truck has been a complete ownership nightmare. There is over $15,000 worth of parts in it for warranty repairs so far at 3,000 miles. I'm not sure if that includes the $5,600 for the new rear differential. When will it end?

I guess I'll park it, so as not to damage anything by driving the truck and wait until my appointment at the dealer on the 26th.

Thanks very much for your input!

Of course sir, I'm watching all the things that have gone wrong with yours, and I truly hope they do something for you at this point. This is just too much.

My 4WD auto makes noise as well, and on tight turns even gives some sensation of binding. I haven't had this oil show up though. I would imagine a dry front axle / diff would constantly make noise though, as despite not being engaged, the axles are still rotating and moving while driving. I'd be more worried about the transfer case being the culprit, and it seems others are having issues in 4A with them as well.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Of course sir, I'm watching all the things that have gone wrong with yours, and I truly hope they do something for you at this point. This is just too much.

My 4WD auto makes noise as well, and on tight turns even gives some sensation of binding. I haven't had this oil show up though. I would imagine a dry front axle / diff would constantly make noise though, as despite not being engaged, the axles are still rotating and moving while driving. I'd be more worried about the transfer case being the culprit, and it seems others are having issues in 4A with them as well.
Got another picture from above the skid plate. I'm really too arthritic to be crawling under the truck, so it's a little out of focus.

I do see a drop of yellowish fluid on the housing. Not sure what it is. But...

20191117_205954.jpg

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got another picture from above the skid plate. I'm really too arthritic to be crawling under the truck, so it's a little out of focus.

I do see a drop of yellowish fluid on the housing. Not sure what it is. But...

View attachment 40133
The transmission fluid used in the ZF eight speed is about that color.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025767 miles.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
175,000 kilometres on my 21013 hemi, tiled garage floor-not one drip of oil.
Have a 2019, had the oil changed a few days earlier, my wife pulled her truck out of the garage and I see a 6” circle of fresh oil, WTF? I get all concerned and go look out on the driveway later where its been parked after driving, and find nothing. Must have been from the tech changing and not cleaning something off. Oil filter Leakage onto part of the frame or suspension? I didn't crawl under but theres been nothing since. Course maybe its empty... o_O

Jako

Reaction score
Have a 2019, had the oil changed a few days earlier, my wife pulled her truck out of the garage and I see a 6” circle of fresh oil, WTF? I get all concerned and go look out on the driveway later where its been parked after driving, and find nothing. Must have been from the tech changing and not cleaning something off. Oil filter Leakage onto part of the frame or suspension? I didn't crawl under but theres been nothing since. Course maybe its empty... o_O
Did the third oil change myself after the dealership put conventional oil on the second oil change. The filter is in somewhat of a tough spot and can create a mess getting it out. My first oil change went great at the dealership. I talked to the tech and he said he spent some time cleaning up the oil. There are quit a few parts and a cross member with holes that the oil can get over. I did 3 cleans to get the oil off, first to get the heavy layer off, followed by a rag with paint thinner and a final clean to remove remaining residue. That's time a tech would not want to spend on an oil change.

To me a 6 inch circle seems like a lot with me assuming that the Ram had to be driven home. I'm not a mechanic and have no visual understanding of where the oil could be "hiding", hopefully others on the forum can give their knowledge and/or experience.

I used the plastic bag on the filter removal that some have met with success. Not my case and I had to "clean up".

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Yes you certainly did what techs won’t take the time to do. Theres been no more drippage from the truck so either its bone dry in the pan (ha) or the slight angle of the garage floor has enabled the frame parts to leak off. I need to crawl underneath and clean it off like you did.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I'm thinking my transfer.case output seal leak was most likely causes by the dealer.

My differential was repaired with a new gear set which failed miserably. Then the entire rear axle was replaced.

Both instances would require drive shaft removal which most likely stressed the seal.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I'm thinking my transfer.case output seal leak was most likely causes by the dealer.

My differential was repaired with a new gear set which failed miserably. Then the entire rear axle was replaced.

Both instances would require drive shaft removal which most likely stressed the seal.
Likely yes. Tech’s are just people, some are master mechanics, some are, well somewhat less so. Do all dealers only hire ASE certified?

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Likely yes. Tech’s are just people, some are master mechanics, some are, well somewhat less so. Do all dealers only hire ASE certified?
The tech that gets stuck working on my truck each time is a level 3 tech.

He certainly did a great job taking the entire interior apart to remove a factory installed extra bolt rolling around in the heater box.

123_1.jpeg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

He certainly did a great job taking the entire interior apart to remove a factory installed extra bolt rolling around in the heater box.

View attachment 40657
Cripes, what a bunch of work for a nuisance noise. Good tech.
Reminds me of an old 2nd hand story, back in 1973 I had a neighbor who always wanted a black 4 dr Sedan De Ville, circa 1967-69. He found one from the original owner. The older guy told him that for a few months after purchase he was hearing a “rattle-clunck” from the left ft door area when he turned a corner or went over a bump. He got tired of it and took it into the Caddy dealer. They removed the door panel and found a Coke bottle with a steel ball bearing and a note inside. The note read: “finally found it you rich s.o.b.”...

Jako

Reaction score

View attachment 40657
Happy for you, maybe a little jealous also.

I have a 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" rubber pad with "glue" on one side that I found on my driver's floor mat when I had the brake recall done. I will eventually post a pic and ask on the forum if anybody knows the purpose/location.
My first oil change at the dealership went great (Penzoil Ultra Premium PUP), 2nd not so great (Penzoil conventional), 3rd myself, with 81% oil life (PUP). So much for the dealership oil changes. Hello Walmart.
Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ was getting oil changes with my wife's Honda, traveling from NY with a toll and time. They screwed themselves forever with a "valve adjustment" on a service and trying to sell her unneeded brakes. "0", zero, nada, null star rating. Also screwed the passenger seat with something (brake fluid rag?) and the back of the driver side still falls off after "repairing" the heated seat under warranty. Had local station put 6 quarts in my 5 quart 2001 Dodge 1500.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/