5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
Not at all you, you are right, especially in regards to FCA/Stellantis dealerships. I don't think they expected so many RAM, Jeeps, Challengers & Chargers to be sold in the last few years and they were swamped.

I never once had a dealership try to dissuade me from an oil change, except an FCA dealer when I brought my truck in because they were too busy. This is a reason why FCA dealerships are last place in customer service surveys across the country. They are too busy and their customer service has gone down because of it. This is a big reason why I do my own oil changes.

This low level of customer service also turns what should be simple warranty fixes into big drawn out issues and pissed off customers. I still haven't had my floor mat recall handled because the dealerships in my area don't know what they are doing and are not willing to take the time to do it. I'm so glad my RAM has been so reliable, because I haven't had a reason to go back to the dealership yet in the last 2 years.
And that's what has me worried. I'm not trying to come onto a RAM fan forum and talk crap about the truck I just bought, but I came from my last couple of trucks being Toyotas. You could weld the hood shut if it wasn't for oil changes. I never had one issue or anything that needed to be replaced that wasn't wear and tear. No recalls, either, other than minor stuff that probably didn't even need to be done (the cost for Toyotas, however, is they really have jacked up the overall drivability of the trucks, maybe to meet CAFE and such with super slow responsive transmission shifts and things like that -- it's like they castrated good engines with poor transmission performance even though they'll probably last 700,000 miles). Hopefully I can get the same long term reliability out of this truck, because it really is a spectacular vehicle. I guess I'll do a UOA once in a while to make sure my lifters/cam aren't getting eaten alive, but that does make me a little apprehensive.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And that's what has me worried. I'm not trying to come onto a RAM fan forum and talk crap about the truck I just bought, but I came from my last couple of trucks being Toyotas. You could weld the hood shut if it wasn't for oil changes. I never had one issue or anything that needed to be replaced that wasn't wear and tear. No recalls, either, other than minor stuff that probably didn't even need to be done (the cost for Toyotas, however, is they really have jacked up the overall drivability of the trucks, maybe to meet CAFE and such with super slow responsive transmission shifts and things like that -- it's like they castrated good engines with poor transmission performance even though they'll probably last 700,000 miles). Hopefully I can get the same long term reliability out of this truck, because it really is a spectacular vehicle. I guess I'll do a UOA once in a while to make sure my lifters/cam aren't getting eaten alive, but that does make me a little apprehensive.

We just bought a new Toyota C-HR recently, and the service center is night and day. My service guy bent over backwards on just an oil change, truly impressive. And it's not like they aren't servicing a bunch of cars either, they vastly outsell FCA.

That is the only reason why I may not buy another RAM is the service department, but again, I haven't had to take it to them for anything yet, barring the whole driver's floor mat recall. I love my truck and it's been honestly the most reliable vehicle I've owned in the first few years of ownership so far. I am usually bored after the 2nd year and my eye starts wandering, but so far I don't feel that at all. I may actually keep this truck long enough to get a Smog check, which in California is after the 8th year of ownership. Heck, this maybe my last new gas vehicle.

AlbertaClipper

Reaction score
We just bought a new Toyota C-HR recently, and the service center is night and day. My service guy bent over backwards on just an oil change, truly impressive. And it's not like they aren't servicing a bunch of cars either, they vastly outsell FCA.

That is the only reason why I may not buy another RAM is the service department, but again, I haven't had to take it to them for anything yet, barring the whole driver's floor mat recall. I love my truck and it's been honestly the most reliable vehicle I've owned in the first few years of ownership so far. I am usually bored after the 2nd year and my eye starts wandering, but so far I don't feel that at all. I may actually keep this truck long enough to get a Smog check, which in California is after the 8th year of ownership. Heck, this maybe my last new gas vehicle.

Put that 2.0L Corolla engine in there and make it AWD, and I'd love that little C-HR.

Jako

Reaction score
I'm the same way. My dealership is usually booked a week out and, not that I wait to the last minute, I'd rather just go and get it done. I also enjoy doing it myself putting better oil for a cheaper price. I take the used oil to advanced auto to recycle for free.
My dealership is more like 2 to 3 weeks out.

djc119

Reaction score
It was my 1st oil change on the truck at 7500 mi, 25% oil life left.

95 degrees F, sweat running into my eyes, the truck is up on a old pair of ramps my dad had gotten in the 70's with the tires extending over the edges and I'm terrified the damn things are going to collapse.

No problem with the oil draining onto the bar, that wipes off easily enough, but the oil filter dripping onto everything. What a mess. Next time I'm going to use the double bag method. It HAS to be cleaner.

BTW - What ramps do you guys have? The raceramps for my Z won't cut it either.

U

User_3336

You may get in the mail the oil change coupons from Mopar/RAM whomever. 3@$70 or 4@$99 (US). Std oil only, but you gotta' trust the dealer to do it right.
At my age, I took the chance 3x and it was fine. Course I looked underneath to see that the filter (marked with an X) had been changed and there were no big leaks, and the level was correct. Other than a stray drip or two from the cross member on the garage floor, all was well.

I totally get it that owners want to do their own, just felt at those prices it was a win for me.
3 for $100 Full Synthetic is the deal locally here.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It was my 1st oil change on the truck at 7500 mi, 25% oil life left.

95 degrees F, sweat running into my eyes, the truck is up on a old pair of ramps my dad had gotten in the 70's with the tires extending over the edges and I'm terrified the damn things are going to collapse.

No problem with the oil draining onto the bar, that wipes off easily enough, but the oil filter dripping onto everything. What a mess. Next time I'm going to use the double bag method. It HAS to be cleaner.

BTW - What ramps do you guys have? The raceramps for my Z won't cut it either.

Rhino Ramps 16,000 lbs GVW rated. They are $52 on Amazon, I'm sure they are similar at Walmart.

Rock solid, easy to use, doesn't twitch in the slightest with my Rebel on it. BTW - The two zip-lock bag method works wonders.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About a 10 year old pair of IIRC 8000 lb Rhino Ramps, which IMO were a better design than more recent ones.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not at all you, you are right, especially in regards to FCA/Stellantis dealerships. I don't think they expected so many RAM, Jeeps, Challengers & Chargers to be sold in the last few years and they were swamped.

I never once had a dealership try to dissuade me from an oil change, except an FCA dealer when I brought my truck in because they were too busy. This is a reason why FCA dealerships are last place in customer service surveys across the country. They are too busy and their customer service has gone down because of it. This is a big reason why I do my own oil changes.

This low level of customer service also turns what should be simple warranty fixes into big drawn out issues and pissed off customers. I still haven't had my floor mat recall handled because the dealerships in my area don't know what they are doing and are not willing to take the time to do it. I'm so glad my RAM has been so reliable, because I haven't had a reason to go back to the dealership yet in the last 2 years.

Yea, my power passenger side mirror is not folding right and I call the dealer last week and said they are 100 cars behind no longer taking appointments. Said I can drop the truck for 8-9 days and they will get to it when they can. First time this has happened even told me to check with other dealers in the area to see if they are less busy. I'm like I'm not going to drop it off for 8 days so they can tell me it needs a mirror and it will take another two weeks to order it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yea, my power passenger side mirror is not folding right and I call the dealer last week and said they are 100 cars behind no longer taking appointments. Said I can drop the truck for 8-9 days and they will get to it when they can. First time this has happened even told me to check with other dealers in the area to see if they are less busy. I'm like I'm not going to drop it off for 8 days so they can tell me it needs a mirror and it will take another two weeks to order it.

Absolutely, and that's 8 days sitting on the lot where it's possible for it to get dinged or scratched, no thank you. Almost every negative review I've seen regarding FCA dealership involves being either too busy to get it right or taking too long or a mixture of both.

Hopefully Stellantis can do better where FCA couldn't.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
100 cars behind, thats just crazy.
Maybe that explains why the local Ferd dealer told me 2 days ago that they are “3 weeks out” when I called to get a service on my 14’ Edge. I didn’t think I heard it right but now I suppose I did.

To me, something is not adding up, unless they are very short of techs, how can they be so far out? This wasn’t a parts delay for you, it was a labor delay…. It’s been so hard to get a new vehicle so perhaps peeps are getting their current ones worked on more?

ALT_F13

Reaction score
"What is the point in using Rhino Ramps if you need to lift the wheels to do tire rotation anyway?"

A minute later: Oh, year, I forgot that when you decompress the suspension on 5.7 engine, stabilizer bar is in front of the drain plug and it creates a lot of mess when you drain oil.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
100 cars behind, thats just crazy.
Maybe that explains why the local Ferd dealer told me 2 days ago that they are “3 weeks out” when I called to get a service on my 14’ Edge. I didn’t think I heard it right but now I suppose I did.

To me, something is not adding up, unless they are very short of techs, how can they be so far out? This wasn’t a parts delay for you, it was a labor delay…. It’s been so hard to get a new vehicle so perhaps peeps are getting their current ones worked on more?
Everybody is catching up on work they put off...same think is happening at doctors offices

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Changed oil yesterday. No drips, super clean and simple.
1. No ramps or jacks. Truck on the ground as usual. Just a moving blanked to slide on the garage floor under the truck. It has plenty of clearance for me and I'm not really slim. I've used 4 floor jacks to rotate the tires, but that happened after oil change was done.
2. Drained the oil into a catch can through the funnel. One shop towel (blue rolls from Costco) on the stabilizer bar to catch drips in the end.
3. Put a regular store plastic bag on the oil filter. Plier-style oil filter remover to unscew the filter. All oil flows in the bag. Filled the new filter to 70% and installed it.

Super clear job within 30 minutes and I'm proud of myself :)

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
1. No ramps or jacks. Truck on the ground as usual. Just a moving blanked to slide on the garage floor under the truck. It has plenty of clearance for me and I'm not really slim. I've used 4 floor jacks to rotate the tires, but that happened after oil change was done.
2. Drained the oil into a catch can through the funnel. One shop towel (blue rolls from Costco) on the stabilizer bar to catch drips in the end.
3. Put a regular store plastic bag on the oil filter. Plier-style oil filter remover to unscew the filter. All oil flows in the bag. Filled the new filter to 70% and installed it.

any pictures?

Scram1500

Reaction score

2wd drive Rebel?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
View attachment 102762
Wriggle an offset transmission funnel into place, route hose to drip pan.
Loosen filter with open jaw filter wrench; let drip a while.
Spin off filter and tip it into funnel; let it drip pointed down a while.
Remove filter while pointed up; wipe off the filter mount.
Stuff funnel with a couple paper towels, remove hose and then filter.
View attachment 102763
Then replace...
View attachment 102764
After a couple times, can be done with zero drips, runs, errors...
Can you post pics of your funnel?

Users who are viewing this thread