5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change using an extraction pump

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Has anyone changed their oil on the 5.7L and drained it using an oil extraction pump? I have one that I use on my other vehicles, but cannot seem to get the tubing to go all the way down the dipstick tube and into the oil pan. This was the same situation on my 14 Ram. The tube goes in about 3/4 of the way and then stops. If anyone has had any success in doing this, I would be grateful to hear how they did it.

Zig10

Reaction score
This truck has a stupidly long dipstick, and I know my extractor tube won't come close to the bottom so I haven't even tried. I know on my previous GM it got hung up on something and left about a quart in the pan, and on my Ford I only get about 2/3 of the oil out with it.

In fact, the only vehicle I own that it works on is the outboard on my boat...which admittedly is what I bought it for. It would make life easier if it worked on the cars.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Definately would make it easier on the Ram for sure. The extraction tube on my pump is the same diameter / width as the dipstick, but seems to get hung up around where the dipstick housing inserts into the engine block. I suppose I could try a smaller diameter tube, but that might make it difficult to extract the oil. No problems using it in any other vehicle that's why I'm at a loss as to why it wont work on the Ram.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've never used an oil extractor to change oil. How can you be sure you got all the oil out unless you are measuring the amount of oil you remove? I guess I answered my own question LOL. But I can see this as tempting people to not replace the filter at each oil change. I don't see the benefit of using an extractor since I have to get under the truck to change the filter anyway. Why would you use one when it's easy enough to just remove the drain plug?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I've never used an oil extractor to change oil. How can you be sure you got all the oil out unless you are measuring the amount of oil you remove? I guess I answered my own question LOL. But I can see this as tempting people to not replace the filter at each oil change. I don't see the benefit of using an extractor since I have to get under the truck to change the filter anyway. Why would you use one when it's easy enough to just remove the drain plug?
Agreed. This makes a lot more sense on vehicles with the oil filter on top (we had a ML500 that had it. So easy to do).

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I actually do measure the oil removed, as the pump housing has graduated level indicators on the sides, also, the vehicles I do use it on have the oil filters on top. At some point, I'm going to relocate the oil filter to make it easier to change. That, along with the oil extractor, or a Fumoto drain valve will make it a breeze.

Zig10

Reaction score
Mostly because this drain plug drips all over the axel. Anything to keep it cleaner is better in my experience.

Admittedly, the filter location is just horrible so I will end up spilling anyway, but I'd like to avoid as much cleanup as possible.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mostly because this drain plug drips all over the axel. Anything to keep it cleaner is better in my experience.

Admittedly, the filter location is just horrible so I will end up spilling anyway, but I'd like to avoid as much cleanup as possible.

Actually it doesn't drip over the axle, only the front sway bar, and only for about 30 seconds. A quick wipe with an old towel quickly takes care of the mess, it honestly isn't a big deal. I was going to make a funnel to reduce the spilling, but after my first oil change, realized it wasn't a problem at all. Also, using the two zip bag method to remove the oil filter can mean literally zero drips.

My truck's oil change was relatively easy. The only potential issue is an oil filter on there too tight from the factory, but from experience, getting the engine up to temp made the filter removal easy. Before my first oil change on the RAM I was expecting the worse, but it ended being really easy and pleasant to do.

Last edited:

Zig10

Reaction score
Actually it doesn't drip over the axle, only the front sway bar, and only for about 30 seconds. A quick wipe with an old towel quickly takes care of the mess, it honestly isn't a big deal. I was going to make a funnel to reduce the spilling, but after my first oil change, realized it wasn't a problem at all. Also, using the two zip bag method to remove the oil filter can mean literally zero drips.

My truck's oil change was relatively easy. The only potential issue is an oil filter on there too tight from the factory, but from experience, getting the engine up to temp made the filter removal easy. Before my first oil change on the RAM I was expecting the worse, but it ended being really easy and pleasant to do.
My bad. You are correct. But when it hit the sway bar on my mine it splashed all over the place. Bad luck for me I suppose.

johnehr

Reaction score
Agreed. This makes a lot more sense on vehicles with the oil filter on top (we had a ML500 that had it. So easy to do).

Yep, standard operating procedure for Mercedes, which is really nice. Oil and filter changes from the top of the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread