5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil change interesting (bad) info from dealer

Bob.

Reaction score
You sound like a grouchy, old man. You can't compare an 82 Caprice with anything made this century. If Rams were built to fail at 36,000 miles, nobody would buy them. Yes, stuff breaks....but the reliability of modern vehicles is pretty amazing, especially considering the power, comfort, size, and economy you get compared to vehicles from 20-30 years ago. V8 Rams in the 90s packed about 200 HP.
Well I don't look frail or feel old. Grouchy? I've seen my 401K crash dive recently. Could explain the later.

Reactions: c3k

Bob.

Reaction score
compared to vehicles from 20-30 years ago. V8 Rams in the 90s packed about 200 HP.
I restored an antique 3/4 ton Chevy and towed it out of state on an open car trailer behind a K5 blazer to car and truck shows all over from Virginia to Maine. I drove it 20 years and put thousands of miles on it. I sold it because the body was rusting out. Salt is wonderful in Connecticut. It had plenty of power to pull. Vehicles back then were sometimes better because you didn't need a dealer re-flash every time you changed out a part in your back yard.

However the ram is a nice vehicle. Mine is trouble free at the moment. Are they better than years ago?

No. They are 100% more complicated and temperamental because of the computers. Times have changed.

Bob.

Reaction score
To prove I'm not just talking BS, car trailer.jpg here is the picture scanned in the pc to show I did have a 88 blazer. here it is at Stafford Motor Speedway at a Truck Meet around 1989 or so

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can buy the tools to work on the new electronics without always going to the dealer. Just like you had to buy the tools to work on the older vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
However the ram is a nice vehicle. Mine is trouble free at the moment. Are they better than years ago?

No. They are 100% more complicated and temperamental because of the computers. Times have changed.
I guess it depends on your definition of "better". Ride comfort, fuel economy, driver conveniences. These are all much better than trucks built in the 70's thru 2000's. I owned several old Chevy's and GMC's of that vintage. Fuel economy was about half of what I get with my Ram. I'd much rather take a road trip in my '21 Limited than in any of the old trucks I used to own (which were not very old at the time).

Florida RAM

Reaction score
I guess it depends on your definition of "better". Ride comfort, fuel economy, driver conveniences. These are all much better than trucks built in the 70's thru 2000's. I owned several old Chevy's and GMC's of that vintage. Fuel economy was about half of what I get with my Ram. I'd much rather take a road trip in my '21 Limited than in any of the old trucks I used to own (which were not very old at the time).
Manufacturing processes have improved dramatically. Even a cheap Ford econo-box is better built than many luxury vehicles from 30 years ago. Advances in robotics, corrosion prevention, paint, fasteners, metal fabrication, and just general quality control processes are light years ahead of where they were in years past. American car manufacturing was particularly bad in the 70's and 80's.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that you’re MUCH more likely to survive in a major car crash in a new “tin can” vehicle than you were in a metal boat of a car from yesteryear.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone ever had their warranty voided on any vehicle they have ever owned simply because the oil wasn't changed precisely as recommended...or used a different type of oil?
Had a Hyundai that I DIY'd oil changes on (recorded with my own records + receipts) that was initially denied a warranty replacement engine. I had to get a lawyer involved and 4 months later I had a new engine.

Also, **** Hyundai

tolh13

Reaction score
Found this and it looks like it is noy just mileage based

The Ram Oil Change Indicator system is not a simple oil quality sensor, but a software-based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine - the engine size, engine revolutions, and even ethanol levels in the fuel - to determine when the oil needs changing. That said, the computer does not strictly track mileage or the condition of the oil, but also tracks certain driving habits that can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperatures will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance. Read the table below to see how the Oil Change Indicator system determines oil life.

Understanding Ram Service Indicator Lights - HOW DRIVING CONDITIONS AFFECT THE ENGINE OIL LIFE OF A RAM

• Note: Engine oil life is dependent not only on the factors listed above, but also on your specific vehicle model, year, and what type of oil is recommended. Check the owner’s manual for more information about what oil is recommended for your vehicle, and don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our experienced professionals for advice.
Some Ram models have a percentage-based indicator that counts down the oil life as a percentage. Once the information display number reduces from 100% (fresh oil) to 15% (dirty oil), an “OIL CHANGE REQUIRED” light will be trigged on the dashboard information display, giving you ample time to plan ahead to have your vehicle serviced. Every time you start the engine, the engine oil percentage will be displayed. When the information display number reaches 0%, the oil life is over and you begin accumulating negative miles that tell you your vehicle is past due for servicing. Remember: if the vehicle racks up significant negative mileage, the engine is increasingly at risk of damage.

Bob.

Reaction score
It had a 350 220 or more HP.
But the biggest thing was the gearing was different back then.
For example I put this is 4X4 low and you could pull literally anything as long as your tires gripped the road.
It would tack up like crazy going 5mph.
What will the Ram do in 4X4 low? 40 mph?
I never tried it but I'm sure it's up there.

Mileage with a tail wind was maybe 15 on the highway. Towing was a little less. It had a 31 gallon tank and gas was cheap so it wasn't a big deal.

I loved the truck. It was comfortable and roomy inside. If it needed work I would fix whatever it needed myself. No dealer required.

Bob.

Reaction score
I bought the new Ram because it's very comfortable. No question it's a nice truck. Also the last 3 Silverados I had had serious electrical issues. The dealer just loved swapping the dash out because it has some unknown fault.
A guy gets tired of electrical problems. If it's under warranty it's not my fix, it's there's.

The old blazer would fire up and ride me to work when the pretty pickups were being temperamental.
I hope the Ram is good. My jeep and her jeep are wonderful.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
She is actually correct. You should change your oil every 6 months no matter the miles driven. Those oil life indicators mean nothing. They are basically for dummies and fleet vehicles so people don't wait way too long, but I never would go by them. I usually change my oil when I got 40% left. Oil changes are cheap, motors are not ! There are so many factors involved. Driving style, climate etc. They indicators can't possibly differentiate all the possible variables. Also, companies will look for any reason to void your warranty. Make sure u don't give them any reason whatsoever!
If I change my oil every 6 months I would have 30,000 miles between oil changes. I don't understand your no matter how many miles driven statement.
Tom

foolishpride

Reaction score
To prove I'm not just talking BS, View attachment 130958 here is the picture scanned in the pc to show I did have a 88 blazer. here it is at Stafford Motor Speedway at a Truck Meet around 1989 or so
You mentioned the Blazer being an '88. I thought GM changed from that body style in '88? Maybe not on the Blazers. I had an '87 Chevy pickup, and I know it was the last year of the square front end. Nice looking vehicles!

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Indeed they are. My father had a 88 Chevy truck my entire life. Went through three 350 engines and idk how many transmissions. My buddy bought it, a neighbor of mine, still has it.

I bought a 87 v6 fire bird and a wrecked gta and did an entire powertrain swap back in high school/college.

Were they fun and easy vehicles to work on? Yup. Would I get another 80/90s era vehicle to tinker ok again? Yup.

Would I want to drive them currently now that I have money and knowledge as to how to fix modern era vehicles? Nope.

And I can dig up pics as well if needed.

BigD

Reaction score
If I change my oil every 6 months I would have 30,000 miles between oil changes. I don't understand your no matter how many miles driven statement.
Tom
At a minimum change it every 6 months. Obviously if u drive a ton, you'll have to change more frequently. This statement was intended for the people going by the oil change indicator going 12 months before an oil change. I pay no attention to that thing. I get mine changed every April & October. I drive 1,000 miles a month.

Florida RAM

Reaction score
Tom
Holy hell! You drive 60,000 miles a year? What is your occupation? I used to do about 30-35K a year and thought that was a lot when I was a fleet maintenance manager for a large concrete company and had to drive all over Alabama and the Florida Panhandle checking on my shops.

Users who are viewing this thread