5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

country4life

Reaction score
Hi so my truck came with oil changes for life from the dealer and I found out there regular not synthetic so I’m pretty upset should I pay for synthetic or use the free oil changes for life?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can you ask to pay the difference? If so, it should only be $20 or so more per oil change, still a bargain and you get "mostly free "oil changes for life.

country4life

Reaction score
Can you ask to pay the difference? If so, it should only be $20 or so more per oil change, still a bargain and you get "mostly free "oil changes for life.
That’s a good idea I never thought of that haha deffinetly going to ask next time I take it in
Thanks for your feedback

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s a good idea I never thought of that haha deffinetly going to ask next time I take it in
Thanks for your feedback
I get the Premium Customer service at my dealer, and as SDRebel has said, I pay the $20-25 difference for full synthetic oil. They normally use a off-brand oil filter, too, but I insist on the Mopar MO-899 and they do not charge me extra for it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
I pay the difference for 5 W 20 full synthetic. My dealer offers $18.00 for life, but that is Dino oil, so costs me $45.00 total for oil change, making them use full synthetic. It is staying so much hotter here, I may make em go to 5 W 30 full synthetic, just saying.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Nope, Dealership does $18.00 oil changes for life if U buy vehicle there. I just do not use Dino Oil, I use full synthetic and pay the difference. But that is my particular Dealer.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Do you really think you get free oil changes for life? You paid for that up front somewhere.
You would think that is the case. I had a Nissan Frontier before. Three years or so after I got it the dealership sold to a larger conglomerate. They contacted me and said they saw I bought from the location before and wanted to offer free synthetic oil changes and free state inspections for life. No strings attached.

Well no strings unless you consider having to endure the yahoos at the counter trying to upsell a bunch of stuff you don't need. The best one was when the guy was looking me right in the eye and said that the tech showed him my cabin air filter and how bad of shape it was in. I just responded "Really?!? I would really like you to show me that since this model does not come with a cabin air filter. Really, look it up, I have time. Who's air filter were you going to show me anyway?" He just did the paperwork and didn't say another word.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
You would think that is the case. I had a Nissan Frontier before. Three years or so after I got it the dealership sold to a larger conglomerate. They contacted me and said they saw I bought from the location before and wanted to offer free synthetic oil changes and free state inspections for life. No strings attached.

Well no strings unless you consider having to endure the yahoos at the counter trying to upsell a bunch of stuff you don't need. The best one was when the guy was looking me right in the eye and said that the tech showed him my cabin air filter and how bad of shape it was in. I just responded "Really?!? I would really like you to show me that since this model does not come with a cabin air filter. Really, look it up, I have time. Who's air filter were you going to show me anyway?" He just did the paperwork and didn't say another word.
That is a pure example where the Customer needs to stay informed and smarter than the BS lines being thrown at them at a Car Place, LMAO.....

Ramjack

Reaction score
I get the Premium Customer service at my dealer, and as SDRebel has said, I pay the $20-25 difference for full synthetic oil. They normally use a off-brand oil filter, too, but I insist on the Mopar MO-899 and they do not charge me extra for it.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052719 miles.
You didn't have to get into a debate with them trying to convince you that the MO-899 is not the right filter for your truck?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Do you really think you get free oil changes for life? You paid for that up front somewhere.

Of course, though I'm not sure why you are asking me that? I was quoting the OP, which he mentions "free oil changes for life".

I assume it must be a dealership thing or regional program.

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You didn't have to get into a debate with them trying to convince you that the MO-899 is not the right filter for your truck?
Nope!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052813 miles.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course, though I'm not sure why you are asking me that? I was quoting the OP, which he mentions "free oil changes for life".

I assume it must be a dealership thing or regional program.
I get the same "free for life" deal under the Premium Care program, which is based on one per year. But that is one free oil change every 10,000 miles. For me I usually exceed 10,000 in a year, so everything after 10K is on me.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052813 miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agree with others. Perhaps asking if you can pay for the difference may work.

Users who are viewing this thread