5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officially regret buying a 2019 Ram.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have little over 5000 miles....When on 4 lane driving 63 Mph for one hour and a half ,it will get 19.5 to 20 average.
Honestly, I wish I could drive that slow. I have a heavy foot most of the time. Explains why I don’t get to 20mpg.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, I wish I could drive that slow. I have a heavy foot most of the time. Explains why I don’t get to 20mpg.

The stretch I drive on all the time is divided road but 55 mph limit....Over 64 in Ohio in a 55 limit you get a 200 ticket with your insurance going up too...my foot has been cured by my wallet!

fastarget

Reaction score
looking at a limited today, but after reading a couple of these long problem oriented threads I am starting to hesitate, if anything got to have reliable.

MF2020

Reaction score
I don't have a 5th Gen, but my 2017 5.7L easily gets 23 mpg highway, 20 combined.
This sounds unbelievable to me! How fast do you go on the highway and are you generally a very gentle driver? And where do you live? Are you driving mostly on flat land? Just curious.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This sounds unbelievable to me! How fast do you go on the highway and are you generally a very gentle driver? And where do you live? Are you driving mostly on flat land? Just curious.

Actually if you go to Fuelly.com its pretty evident that the classics going back a few years get better fuel mileage than the 5th gens do. I mean 2015 and 2016 models "average" 18.9 and 19.7 mpg on Fuelly. Where as the 2019 and 2020's average 15.4 and 16 mpg's. So there has to be something to it. link below

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Actually if you go to Fuelly.com its pretty evident that the classics going back a few years get better fuel mileage than the 5th gens do. I mean 2015 and 2016 models "average" 18.9 and 19.7 mpg on Fuelly. Where as the 2019 and 2020's average 15.4 and 16 mpg's. So there has to be something to it. link below

Lot more miles on those older ones and a lot more vehicles so it's going to be higher. I had 40K on my 2014 with Pentastar and now have my 2019 Rebel with 7K on it and the Pentastar was avg about 1.5mpg more but as you can see I just don't have the same mileage on it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lot more miles on those older ones and a lot more vehicles so it's going to be higher. I had 40K on my 2014 with Pentastar and now have my 2019 Rebel with 7K on it and the Pentastar was avg about 1.5mpg more but as you can see I just don't have the same mileage on it.

Not sure what point you are trying to convey. All I was saying is that if hundreds of people using fuelly can average 19.7 MPG it would be completely possible for someone to average 20 mpg mixed. Also 622 vehicles logging 19,000+ fill ups for the 2019 models is a pretty substantial sample to conclude that the classics do get better fuel mileage than the 5th gens.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the 2019 numbers, as a lot of the early builds tended to be heavy trucks (i.e. Limiteds, Longhorns, and Laramies with lots of options). But if we see the trend continue through 2020 and beyond, you’re absolutely right about 4th gen vs 5th gen economy (which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense on paper).

MF2020

Reaction score

OK I did look and saw exactly as you say however, I do not believe the data at all. I had a 2011 Ram and it got about 12 to 13 miles to the gallon and my 2020 with this fancy torque thing gets even less! I have also test driven a number of vehicles and none of them I have tested perform anywhere near those numbers. So... either I have a ridiculous lead foot or people are dreaming. I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt here because I live in the foot hills of the Adirondack Mountains and maybe the terrain I drive just naturally sucks up the gasoline. I suppose if I lived in South Florida where the roads are straight and flat as a board I might get a couple more miles per gallon. I guess I'll never know and thank goodness gas is super cheap right now.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK I did look and saw exactly as you say however, I do not believe the data at all. I had a 2011 Ram and it got about 12 to 13 miles to the gallon and my 2020 with this fancy torque thing gets even less! I have also test driven a number of vehicles and none of them I have tested perform anywhere near those numbers. So... either I have a ridiculous lead foot or people are dreaming. I will give everyone the benefit of the doubt here because I live in the foot hills of the Adirondack Mountains and maybe the terrain I drive just naturally sucks up the gasoline. I suppose if I lived in South Florida where the roads are straight and flat as a board I might get a couple more miles per gallon. I guess I'll never know and thank goodness gas is super cheap right now.
I got about 2 mpg better mileage on my 2017 Rebel than I am getting with my 2020 Laramie. Both have the 5.7, but my Laramie also has etorque. For me, and my commute, the etorque was a waste of money. My commute is about 20 miles each way, and about 95% highway with lots of hills, and was the same when I owned the 2017. Only two traffic lights, which rarely cause me to have to stop. So the stop/start feature never really comes into play. I didn't buy this truck because I was looking for good fuel economy, but it would be nice if it would get at least the same mileage as my 2017 got. It was a heavier truck, had 10 ply tires, and had no etorque. And to top it off they stuck a smaller 23 gallon fuel tank in it compared to the 26 gallon tank in the 2017. I really love this truck, but having to stop so often to fill the tank kinda sucks.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I Know this MPG has been discussed to death but took 2019 to dealer for repairs got 16.5 Mpg. was given a 2019 classic, same four door with same rear end per window sticker and trim level ,no etourqe. On the same trip back to dealer got 21.1 something is different always got about 19 on my 2015.

Attachments

• IMG_1013.jpeg
    IMG_1013.jpeg
    42.3 KB · Views: 22

MF2020

Reaction score
I Know this MPG has been discussed to death but took 2019 to dealer for repairs got 16.5 Mpg. was given a 2019 classic, same four door with same rear end per window sticker and trim level ,no etourqe. On the same trip back to dealer got 21.1 something is different always got about 19 on my 2015.
Right? So I have come to the conclusion that I have a heavy foot and any vehicle I drive will use gas... Period. Now with this reality I will still not likely change the way I drive because it all comes down to driving my vehicle the way I like to enjoy it. So thank goodness for the 33 gallon gas tank and cheap gas!!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Right? So I have come to the conclusion that I have a heavy foot and any vehicle I drive will use gas... Period. Now with this reality I will still not likely change the way I drive because it all comes down to driving my vehicle the way I like to enjoy it. So thank goodness for the 33 gallon gas tank and cheap gas!!
^^^ 100% on point ^^^

Users who are viewing this thread