5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OFF Road Recovery Gear Opinion

MontFla

Reaction score
I’ve been pulling cars and trucks out for decades using a hitch receiver or front tow hooks and never had an issue - ever. Camel trophy and any of the Jeepers from Moab and Arizona will attest

rules to recovery:

Use low range always

Use opposite points of recovery when possible

If you have concerns over the strap or winch line breaking, place a towel or blanket or similar weighted object to mediate the recoil

shovel out or employ recovery tracks and adjust the front wheels of the stuck vehicle

when initiating the tension on the strap don’t gas the vehicle but make-a gradual recovery Not jerky on the pull

use your brain and keep everyone away from the action

Have fun and don’t freak out when things get banged up, dented, or broken. It is going to happen eventually if you put you and your vehicle off the main road and it isn’t a big deal unless you make it one - just be prepared and it’s best to have a second vehicle with you always if possible

take pics and brag :)
Good post! I also have pulled out many. Funny thing when the fly fishing guy is stuck and wonders why I am pulling him out of snow backwards???? I asked him if he wanted to break trail going forward or have me pull him out the same way he went into the snow or if he wanted to call the tow truck lol!!!

MontFla

Reaction score
Could just use a tree branch through the hitch??

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some Aussie off-roaders did a great test showing how towing hitches break off and become projectiles. It's got to do with the fact that the ball is below the frame and gets bent, and then breaks. Whereas as recovery hitch is inline with the frame.

usedup

Reaction score
If you want to see a kinetic rope used correctly watch www.mattsoffroadrecovery.com. Tow strap is for towing, you jerk on a strap like a kinetic recovery rope and you may break your damn neck.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
🤔

I’ve used chains, straps and rope. I regularly jerk on a strap, granted less than 10 foot slack.

Users who are viewing this thread